The Dell 3008WFP Thread

Associate
I am on my secound, about to be third dell 3008 wfp. Problem I am having is that after using the first monitor I bought, the DVI port would stop recieving signals from the tower. I tested the tower and cable with a dell 2407 and no problems. Dell sent me a replacement 3008 and the problem was gone. Now, two months after my replacement, the second monitor is doing the same. No dvi signal and it goes right into sleep mode after the progress bar in vista goes away. I can hear the OS load successfully by the sound card, just no signal.

I've tried adjusting the cable. I've tried reinstalling the drivers and nothing brings up the signal after the progress bar proceeds into the OS. I uninstalled the drivers in safe mode and can get into the OS, just with native drivers and limitations of 800 by 600 resolution which cannot be changed. I am using that until the new monitor arrives which I suspect will work fine. I changed nothing in the last week thought would bring this on.

Has anyone else experienced the dell 3008 DVI port going out? I mean not getting a signal from the computer tower while a backup monitor gets the signal just fine? Doesn't make since unless I got two defective LCDs which had bad DVI ports that eventually failed in one to two months.

thanks for your reply. I am pretty computer savy and I have tried everything to get the signal but after the progress bar goes, I go from a blue LED to amber and no response with NVIDIA drivers installed. Only with no drivers installed does it work. I suspect the monitor is just getting an analogue signal at that point through the DVI cable. I have also swapped out the cables but the same thing happens.

Well, I've just encountered the same problem, bought my Dell 3008 WFP back in August and started to experience intermittant DVI signal loss when switching off the Dell 3008 whilst running long jobs on the PC, switching it back on later and no DVI signal detected. Then last week, nothing through both DVI inputs at all. Not even the BIOS post showed. I tried my old 7900 GTO graphics card, uninstalling NVIDIA drivers in safe mode and reinstalling, motherboard BIOS reload, in the end I even bought a new motherboard and rebuild with a fresh Vista install. Still nothing. My PC works via DVI when connected to my Dell 2407 monitor, so I'm left with no option but to assume to 3008 is cream crackered. I can get a signal to it via VGA, but thats it. So I called Dell today and they are sending a replacement panel tomorrow. I hope this is not a design fault with the panel.....

Associate
OP
@ delirious and Matty_Boy : I've got a similar problem now, but it's not quite what you two have. If i have the brightness level above 79, then the monitors screen will go off after a while, but the power button will still stay blue implying thats its still on... at first i thought maybe the extra heat produced by the backlight at the higher level was making the monitor overheat. But even in a freezing cold room it will still do it.
So i'm going to phone Dell for a replacement.

By the way i see a lot of people are using this screen with Nvidia 9xxx cards and lower. If you really want to make the most out of this screen get a 2xx series card, or an ATI 4xxx series. I've had them all. They have better colours than older NV cards (even on the desktop) gradients are smoother, and whites are more pure and brighter.

Is xbox360 possible via Component? I have a 360 but not the elite edition. I will purchase a speaker bar for this also, sound from 360 is also transferred via component right?
Eugh another question thats answered in my review on first page, pfft... anyway - yes you can, but sound is not transferred through Component, your'll have to use the SPDIF output, or the separate stereo jacks also on the Component cable, connect them to an AV Receiver or something.

Last edited:
Associate
thanks for the reply guys. I had hoped this thread was still alive as I had it bookmarked many months ago.

I have an EVGA 280 GTX. In fact, I run SLI and I have also tried both cards in slot one but the same happens. It may very well be a design flaw as this is my second one in 3 months. Hope not. I have a replacement coming. I asked dell if they wouldn't mind sending a replacement DVI cable but the tech refused. Oh well.

Could it be that the EVGA 280 GTX is causing the problem or just the dell 3008 itself?

Thanks for the replys. It's good to know a few have had problems so when I call Dell I have more Ammo.

Associate
OP
Cant see how the graphics card would do that. I also have another different monitor hooked up to my GTX280 and that ones never done anything like it. My 3008 also done it connected to a GTX260, and ATI 4870.

Got a replacement coming tomorrow, so i'll post when that arrives...

Associate
thanks for the reply guys. I had hoped this thread was still alive as I had it bookmarked many months ago.

I have an EVGA 280 GTX. In fact, I run SLI and I have also tried both cards in slot one but the same happens. It may very well be a design flaw as this is my second one in 3 months. Hope not. I have a replacement coming. I asked dell if they wouldn't mind sending a replacement DVI cable but the tech refused. Oh well.

Could it be that the EVGA 280 GTX is causing the problem or just the dell 3008 itself?

Thanks for the replys. It's good to know a few have had problems so when I call Dell I have more Ammo.

Can't see it as a design flaw, just an unlucky streak. My v.A02, arrived in perfect nick and I have not had a single issue. It could be the card, I am using an 8800GT. It would be nice to here from anyone else using a 280 GTX to know if they have issues.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey - when you guys returned previous 3008WFPs to Dell, did you leave the stand attached and send back as well, or keep the stand? I notice it's bolted on with some star shaped screws and looks like the packaging requires the monitor to be packed attached to the stand. Dell said I could keep the stand, but I can't see how to package it safely for return without it!

Associate
I have sent two back, once the defective one I sent in the first time and second time to send back a scratched unit that they sent as the replacement. Both times the stand was attached and they send monitors with stands. I got a scratched up refurbished unit the first time. Make sure you examine it and if it's scratched, request another. I did.

Associate
Just did an experiment while waiting for the new monitor. I plugged in the cable into DVI port 2 and now I can get high resolution. I guess this defines the problem as DVI port one going bad. What I can't understand is why on two LCDS. Same happened as before. DVI1 went bad but DVI2 worked. I changed it back and DVI1 still no go. Odd.

Associate
Just did an experiment while waiting for the new monitor. I plugged in the cable into DVI port 2 and now I can get high resolution. I guess this defines the problem as DVI port one going bad. What I can't understand is why on two LCDS. Same happened as before. DVI1 went bad but DVI2 worked. I changed it back and DVI1 still no go. Odd.

I tried both DVI 1&2 inputs on the monitor, both were dead. An analogue signal via VGA worked though - strange. I really hope these monitors are going to be reliable moving forwards, spending this sort of cash on a screen, I expect it to last and be of suitable build quality!

Associate
Well, my new replacement screen has arrived and thankfully, the DVI inputs now work! A few marks on the screen that polished out with the supplied soft cloth. Have any other 3008 owners noticed though that the top part of the screen doesn't seem to be fixed in at all and wobbles a bit in the frame? OK at the bottom, but just seems to sit unfixed at the top! I really worry about the build quality of these things......:eek:

Associate
OP
My replacement just come too and everything seems fine so far, no dead pixels, and no backlight bleeding....
I have mine configured on the custom setting (settings in first thread post), but i had to turn the green down a tiny bit more this time to get it looking how my other screen did.
It's A02 revision BTW, my first was A00 (got that one on release).

@ Matty, i did not send mine back with the stand. When the bloke dropped the new one off i put my old 3008 in the box the new one came in and off he went with that. Just did a monitor swap!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have any other 3008 owners noticed though that the top part of the screen doesn't seem to be fixed in at all and wobbles a bit in the frame? OK at the bottom, but just seems to sit unfixed at the top! I really worry about the build quality of these things......:eek:

Do you mean along the top where the front dark silver bezel joins onto the black? I've had a very tiny gap there with both my monitors, but it's so small, and does not wobble at all...

Associate
Do you mean along the top where the front dark silver bezel joins onto the black? I've had a very tiny gap there with both my monitors, but it's so small, and does not wobble at all...

No - where the actual surface of the screen ends at the top, there is a small amount of movement back and forth, so if you touch the screen at the top, it will move inwards a bit.

Soldato
Have any other 3008 owners noticed though that the top part of the screen doesn't seem to be fixed in at all and wobbles a bit in the frame? OK at the bottom, but just seems to sit unfixed at the top! I really worry about the build quality of these things......:eek:

Don't own a 3008, but can attest that this is by design as IPS panels get pretty hot and need room for heat expansion/contraction.

Associate
OP
Don't own a 3008, but can attest that this is by design as IPS panels get pretty hot and need room for heat expansion/contraction.

Well that makes sense, these screens do get very hot! I can hear them expending after powering on as they start to warm up.
@ Matty mine does this too, just checked.

Associate
I got a call from Dell today and it's backordered. What?

My first replacement was scratched and the second was fine. I hope my third one is ok.

Last edited:
Associate

Do you guys think that I should keep the stand and just send the monitor back? Maybe for all the crap I have had to go through.

Dell said that I only needed to return the panel, not the stand, but I returned both in the end as I couldn't see a way of safely packing the panel in the box without it being mounted on a stand.

Regardless, the chap who delivered the new screen inspected the contents and removed all items from the new one that I was not returning. I think had I not returned the stand, that would have been removed from the new panel also.

Associate
OP

Do you guys think that I should keep the stand and just send the monitor back? Maybe for all the crap I have had to go through.

Lol thats kind of what i did once, bit of a story here....
Ages ago with one of the two 24" Dell's monitors i had, one had an annoying buzzing, so i phoned Dell but had to go through SO much to get a replacement (at the time ALL of Dell's customer service and everything else was in India)... So after spending literally hours on the phone to Indians, wasting about £30+ in phone calls, getting really stressed, and not even understanding some of the stuff they were saying... i finally got a replacement monitor to be delivered.
When the new monitor came i told the bloke the defective one had already been picked up (i lied). Then the buzzing stopped within the one i wanted sent back. So i ended up with a free monitor... i see it as payment for putting me through all that.

Last edited:
Associate
first of all, Rofl Mr.B ... It would be killer to be able to get away with the "they've already picked it up" line on a 3008 monitor.

Mr.B, you got your 3008 at the same time I did, you've sent yours back? for what reason (maybe i need to read further back in this thread) and more importantly, your A02 version replacement, is it any better than the A00? and how much better? example, what's been improved?

i don't really have any problems with my monitor, bar the blurring on really fast paced games and the small amounts of backlight bleeding which I've pretty much gotten used to by now.

question is, would it be worth me asking for a replacement (upgrade to the A02)?

Associate
dell 3008wfp edid corruption

hi everyone, i am new to this forum & joined as i was having the same problem as some people here is reporting...mainly the corruption of the edid. has anyone figured out how to stop the corruption from happening? i am running gtx280s in sli & both of my dvi-d ports have gone dead....works for a resolution of 800x600 only. tried to do a windows edid override of settings but it doesn;t work. this problem is definately not isolated.... look at http://forums.entechtaiwan.com/viewtopic.php?t=6567&highlight=3008wfp

Back
Top Bottom