*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Soldato
i'm thinking about making a starving student amp - but i can't find the tubes/sockets.
any ideas where i can get them?
you would think someone would sell the complete kit but nobody seems to do that either, which is a shame.

Soldato
You would have to get the tubes from the US. I got some from eBay, they take forever to turn up.

There's a few shops in the US that will do them, I bought some thetubecenter.com

http://www.thetubecenter.com/

thanks justin
just to check - are the SK7 tube sockets on that site the correct ones for the 19j6 tubes?

edit: actually i have another question as well - using your excel sheet on the previous page, what is the second column (ref des) - i assume its a code for a referral to a schematic/instructions? do you have that? cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks justin
just to check - are the SK7 tube sockets on that site the correct ones for the 19j6 tubes?

edit: actually i have another question as well - using your excel sheet on the previous page, what is the second column (ref des) - i assume its a code for a referral to a schematic/instructions? do you have that? cheers

Yep, SK7 are the ones.

If you do buy sockets from elsewhere, make sure they are chassis mount and not PCB.

referance and destination if you are reffering to his bom

shows you where they go in the peter millet scematic. which is here http://www.pmillett.com/starving.htm

atleast thats how i understood it. im waiting on my tubes and socket didnt relise the ebay seller takes longer to ship.

Yeah, when I bought mine from eBay, they took over 3 weeks to get here. It's just shipping from America which is pretty poor.

Did you buy them from the seller called 'the-radio-tube-supply-company'?

Soldato
yikes 3 weeks. and uyes same seller tho he left feedback seconds after i purchased em.
still think i shall begin drilling holes for the sockets and switch. an chance you could give me the measurements of the tubes so i can drill a hole for em?

Soldato
Yeah, same seller I used.. He was actually really rude to me in an email when I asked how long they were going to take to come.. But oh well, they turned up in the end.

Providing the sockets are all the same size, the diameter is 16mm.

Soldato
thanks, seems like the case i got from mouser is too think fir the switch, ended up grinding the inside with dremel. tempted to start soldeing everything in and wait for the tubes. gues i got enough time to finish making my el cheapo headphone stand/holder

Soldato
tubes are here, he stuck in 2 extra sockets, cant wait to build mine to night.

one more thing i got the flat heat sink witht he fins at the sides how do i go about mounting it and sticking the little chip things on?

Soldato
You'd have to bend the legs on the FETs carefully i'd imagine.

When did you order the tubes? That's pretty quick especially around Christmas time!

Soldato
tubes are here, he stuck in 2 extra sockets, cant wait to build mine to night.

one more thing i got the flat heat sink witht he fins at the sides how do i go about mounting it and sticking the little chip things on?

i would be grateful if you could post pictures of how you do this yaka - i was going to try the same (with the same funky heat sink) in the new year.

Soldato
You'd have to bend the legs on the FETs carefully i'd imagine.

When did you order the tubes? That's pretty quick especially around Christmas time!

ordered on the 16th so not bad. gonna start bout nine or 10 ish after the kids are a sleep.
i was under the impression it would be possible to stick the fets with thermal epoxy or hjave i got the wrong idea?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...&subcat=&name=Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy (7g)

and aardvark ill take pics for you, just be sure to order the tubes asap according to the headfi thread only one or 2 places have any stock left

Soldato
ah cool think ill do it that ways then. was in the process of doing when there was a power outage here for bit. cam back on at 12am. got a little bit done so far trying to keep things neat looking is hard work in such a small box.

Soldato
due to my own stupidity u messed up both the hammond case and the heat sink. the hammond problem iis fixable but i made a measure ment error on the heart sink. doesnt look to good:/

also are the tubes meant to be easily pulled out?

Soldato
hmm i think it might be the sockets. the legs/pins dont go all the way in i tried forcing them in still i tilt the amp and the come out.

emailed the guy i got them off about them. juist hop he has spares

Back
Top Bottom