*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Soldato
Nice work p4radox, a nifty all round reciever unit :)

You do need at least 2 fuses in that unit though. One rated to protect your high current toroid and also one to protect the small DAC transformer as the one for the main toroid will be too large to offer protection to that transformer (the one for the small transformer will be in the order of 100ma I would guess). My most recent amp has 9 fuses in all and ideally should have 11, they are worth your time installing as they will limit the damage if something did go wrong as well as being a fire safety measure :)

Adam, sweet looking valve amp :) . What speakers are you intending to drive with it?

Associate
I was thinking about 206. To be honest i need to do a lot of research, i am ok with electronics, wood work and cabinet design...... not so much!.

The amp sounds very powerful, it drops lower and has good control over the bass than my solid state its replaced. You would never guess its only putting out 12watts.

maybe if i hooked it up to some 86db quads it would struggle.

Soldato
Fullrange should be the easiet to build if your new to it, no crossover to worry about. With FF225K you may want a supertweeter but because it's rolloff is quite smooth a simple capacitor can run the tweeter, 6db/octave :) . Any largish fullrange will probably benefit from a tweeter, and small one from a subwoofer :D

Many fullrangers benefit from back loaded horn designs, fostex publish some designs on thier site. Some can be made to work in TL or MLTL too, or even bass reflex. Open baffle is a consideration but with this you really are likely to want a sub :)

Associate
Hi, was wondering if someone could recomend me a POT value for my passive preamp? I am currently using a 100k ohm which is fine for my iPod but though the line out of my DVD player I can only turn the POT a fraction before it gets loud.

What value you think I should got for?

Associate
Ah, no its not! I bought the POT ages ago and it seems like the linear and log pots were mixed together in the catalogue and I didn't think to check!

Ok so I will get myself a new log POT. You think I should stick with 100k? A lot of sites recommend 10k for passive preamps.

Would a 10k alps POT be the best choice?

Soldato
Got myself a solder iron today and finally have some cash spare to invest in building something.

Seeing as I haven't used a solder iron in about 8 years I assume a CMOY amp would be the perfect place to start but I need a amp and DAC more than a headphone amp so would rather have a go at that but I don't want to overwhelm myself at the start.

Also is there any other tools I'll need apart from the solder iron?

Soldato
drill, pliers, helping hands, workbench ( i recently ruined a case by using a normal desk for case work work bench makes it all easier. and pleanty of time.

the last one is major one. i messed up my Starving student build badly. powered it up and there was sparks all over the heatsink and i made mess of the soldering and the wire work

mysa.JPG
all ruined in 20 mins of rushing

Last edited:
Associate
The best thing i can think of for you is a valve buffered gainclone. Should be relatively easy to build, and i think i remeber seeing a uk guy doing a group buy from some pre made pcbs.

You'll get some of the valve sound, but the power of the gainclone to back it up.

Associate
Associate
commited- My amp cost me about £300 all in.

Plus a lot of time!

got to say its stunning to listen to. And thats what you do, you just end up listening and toe tapping. Nothing about it offends. Lovely!

Back
Top Bottom