The England Cricket Thread

Caporegime
@Participant, you were quite vocal in the Olympics thread about Simone Biles. Since it appears you quite like cricket, your thoughts on Ben Stokes taking an "indefinite break from all forms of cricket" to "prioritise his mental wellbeing".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58033393

Pathetic loser letting his team mates down, right?
Again, I find the action itself perfectly acceptable; what I don't agree with is the overt glorification of it from the woke leftist media.

Soldato
Ok then. :)

Nothing to do with you but I have a sneaky suspicion he will get an easier ride from "right of centre" media commentators who have been overtly critical of Biles, Osaka etc.

Soldato
Finally, so many dropped chances coudl have really changed that total to something that won't be a battle to catch and overtake over the coming days.

Associate
root is a shocking captain

7 fielders on the boundary for both bumrah and shami, he does that sort of **** all the time. Never really called about it either cos he's such a nice guy and a good batsman. Shouldn't be anywhere near making decisions.

Soldato
I would like to see him step back from the captaincy purely for his batting. The problem is if he's not captain, who is? Pretty much the only people in this squad who are always first picks is Root, Anderson + Broad. Anderson + Broad are too old really. So you have Root. I suppose Stokes as well but he's not an option at the moment. It's really hard. We need an opener or 3/4 batsmen in the side who cements their place to take over.

Associate
even if these 2 go in quick succession there's no way root's chasing needing nearly 4 an over, so he'll play for the draw.........

the PR from this debacle could be the end of his reign

Soldato
even if these 2 go in quick succession there's no way root's chasing needing nearly 4 an over, so he'll play for the draw.........

the PR from this debacle could be the end of his reign
The brave thing to do would be to open with Bairstow + Buttler and tell them to go at it a run a ball. If they both get out early then yes resort to playing defensively for a draw. But like you said I doubt he'll do it. Probably send Sibley out to score 10 runs off 150 balls.

Associate
The brave thing to do would be to open with Bairstow + Buttler and tell them to go at it a run a ball. If they both get out early then yes resort to playing defensively for a draw. But like you said I doubt he'll do it. Probably send Sibley out to score 10 runs off 150 balls.

Yeah I agree, get some early runs then lock it down if you have to. Problem is England's batting lineup are psychologically fragile and won't function on a poor platform. 20 for 2 and it'd be all over, the middle and lower order will just implode, despite just seeing a great demonstration partnership by two of the worst batsmen in International cricket. Root will see that as too risky.

Back
Top Bottom