*** Show us your bikes! ***

Soldato
How you finding the VFR?
It does everything pretty damn well!

Getting nearly 50mpg on a motorway run or long 'enthusiastic' run with no stop start traffic (220 mile range), and 45-46mpg commuting. Handles really well now the tyres are decent ones. Does the commute with ease, can have some fun on it at the weekend, and it's super comfortable sitting at 80 on the motorway for hours.

My only complaints are that the brakes are a bit wooden, not much feel to them. And it's a heavy bitch with a full tank, tricky moving it around by hand. The weight disappears when riding though.

I've done 1750 miles in 2 months so far, ticked over 25k miles last week in total. Not a lot more to say really, like most other Hondas of that age, it just does the job! :D

Soldato
I'm 6ft 3in, plenty of room for me.

Not sure what the new ones are like, but mine has 110bhp and goes just fine, needs a few revs to really shift (no VTEC) but above 7k it gets a shift on. It's not slow below that but isn't the torqiuest bike. My other bike (when it's working... :rolleyes:) will pull your arms off from 4k rpm with torque and the VFR is fine in comparison.

Man of Honour
Still haven't managed to take a picture of the bike, so here's the picture from the dealer.

Bought this yesterday, 2010 Suzuki Bandit 1250S, 17k miles and came with top box, fuel exhaust, extended+original screen, crash bars and a rear hugger.

Also has a meta alarm fitted (not advertised, nice bonus), just need to figure out how it actually works now.

Looks nice and tidy, that excitement of a bonus alarm fitted may wear off quite quickly though. Most people end up ripping out aftermarket alarms as they're more ballache than they're worth a lot of the time.

Caporegime
Only once have I had a use for an aftermarket alarm, and that was some cheapo jobbie which could remote-start my scooter. We used to park it somewhere all locked up, and when strangers walked past, fire it up. Loads of funny looks (hey, I lived in a tiny little village, what else were we supposed to do?).

It burned out my CDI 3 times before I clicked that it was the alarm so ripped it out and that was the end of that.

Soldato
The alarm fitted to my bmw is a pain, can't sit on it or turn the bars without setting the alarm off and the only way to stop it is put the key in and turn the ignition on.

Thinking about taking it out too.

Associate
The alarm fitted to my bmw is a pain, can't sit on it or turn the bars without setting the alarm off and the only way to stop it is put the key in and turn the ignition on.

Thinking about taking it out too.

Surely the point of an alarm is it goes off if someone sits on the bike or moves it around?

This one is apparently an auto arming immobiliser 50s after you turn the bike off, and manual arming alarm if you press the button before the immobiliser activates. Currently it does nothing but if I can get the immobiliser to arm to slow down someone hot wiring it then I'll be happy.

Soldato
Surely the point of an alarm is it goes off if someone sits on the bike or moves it around?

This one is apparently an auto arming immobiliser 50s after you turn the bike off, and manual arming alarm if you press the button before the immobiliser activates. Currently it does nothing but if I can get the immobiliser to arm to slow down someone hot wiring it then I'll be happy.

Yeah but it's too sensitive.

I was working on my bike yesterday, the alarm went off every 5 minutes, started to get on my nerves very quickly.

When I'm on the floor and I slightly move the bike, the alarm goes off, I have to get up and turn the key. Wasn't happy :p

Associate
Ah fair enough, I was just thinking of when you'd want the alarm active.

I wouldn't want an alarm you couldn't leave off (or atleast disable the movement sensor) for working on the bike, or transporting it or something.

Associate
Lovely evening for a "just popping out to get some milk dear..." :p

IMG_20170707_201445_911.jpg

(never did get that pint)

Associate
Picked up my commuter- a replacement for my (stolen) KTM 990SMT.

A little wobbly but reasonably entertaining, should do well if I can keep the *****'s claws away from it this time (it was my 3rd bike stolen, first one not recovered)...

eAPy4Hl.jpg

Man of Honour
What do you mean by "wobbly" with the MT09?

It's one of the bikes I'm considering once I've healed, but it will be a few months old 2017 version.

Associate
What do you mean by "wobbly" with the MT09?

It's one of the bikes I'm considering once I've healed, but it will be a few months old 2017 version.

Coming off the RR (and the KTM), you can feel the suspension is basic. Forks feel sprung OK but slightly underdamped- shock feels both undersprung (I'm 80 something Kg) and underdamped.

Not surprising, nor a big issue and not too difficult to improve. I haven't tried adjusting what's there yet. Around town on the commute I can tell it's going to be a hoot regardless.

So far it quite reminds me of a sorted '98 Bandit 1200 I had- lost a lot of weight, got it up to about 125bhp. Eventually added an Ohlins shock and fork internals, even took it to a few trackdays- didn't disgrace itself in the fast group.

Man of Honour
Coming off the RR (and the KTM), you can feel the suspension is basic. Forks feel sprung OK but slightly underdamped- shock feels both undersprung (I'm 80 something Kg) and underdamped.

Not surprising, nor a big issue and not too difficult to improve. I haven't tried adjusting what's there yet. Around town on the commute I can tell it's going to be a hoot regardless.

So far it quite reminds me of a sorted '98 Bandit 1200 I had- lost a lot of weight, got it up to about 125bhp. Eventually added an Ohlins shock and fork internals, even took it to a few trackdays- didn't disgrace itself in the fast group.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm considering the Duke 390, MT09 and Street Triple 765 RS currently.

I'm basically after a fun very light bike for playing in the mountains and those bikes are all on a spectrum in terms of price (CHF 6k, 10k, 13k new) and performance/Kg.

Is there anything else people think I should be considering?

Back
Top Bottom