Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm now sticking a finger in each ear and ignoring both campaigns. I suggest any sane person does the same and makes their own, principled and as well as is possible, informed decision. It's now a case of hysteria and facts be damned.

I vote for local, undiluted and accountable democracy looking at a long term view. It won't be rainbows and unicorns and may be painful short-term but hey, we won't get this chance again. Booting out Cameron and Osborne is the icing on the cake.

Caporegime
I'd rather Cameron and Osborne than Boris, Gove, Duncan Smith. It's not much of a choice though - like being asked your preference for the temperature of the diarrhoea that is going to rain down on your head the next time you take a shower.

Associate
I'm now sticking a finger in each ear and ignoring both campaigns. I suggest any sane person does the same and makes their own, principled and as well as is possible, informed decision. It's now a case of hysteria and facts be damned.

I vote for local, undiluted and accountable democracy looking at a long term view. It won't be rainbows and unicorns and may be painful short-term but hey, we won't get this chance again. Booting out Cameron and Osborne is the icing on the cake.

There's no point in listening to anyone or group that has stated a firm opinion, or especially is seeking to persuade you one way or another. Try to seek out information (e.g. Europe In or Out by David Charter is a good starter) that does not come to any conclusions themselves and then make your own mind up. If you don't you're liable to get misrepresented facts and in some cases pure BS, and would risk having your own confirmation bias by listening to theirs. IMO of course ;)

Soldato
I'd rather Cameron and Osborne than Boris, Gove, Duncan Smith. It's not much of a choice though - like being asked your preference for the temperature of the diarrhoea that is going to rain down on your head the next time you take a shower.

The current generation of politicians won't be around for long, though. I don't believe Boris is doing anything apart from furtherimg his own political ambitions, but when the electorate can put the fear of god into a government by way of engagement then things can change.

What we need is for electoral reform to be on the agenda next so we can get away from this ridiculous system of pendulum politics government.

Last edited:
Associate
The most worrying thing about this referendum is just how few people are aware they need to register for a vote.

The turn out is going to be lousy.

If you've been able to vote in the May elections you're registered (although bizarrely if you're not registered you can register online, but you can't find out online if you already are).

Soldato
If you've been able to vote in the May elections you're registered (although bizarrely if you're not registered you can register online, but you can't find out online if you already are).

How do they work out who can vote in the local elections but not the referendum / general elections? I can't remember when I registered it was so long ago, but did I tick a box to say I was a UK citizen?

Associate
How do they work out who can vote in the local elections but not the referendum / general elections? I can't remember when I registered it was so long ago, but did I tick a box to say I was a UK citizen?

I assume the qualification to able to vote in the May elections is a subset of those required to vote in the EU, so if you qualified for May you qualify for the EU.

Anyway the text is here:
http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/upcoming-elections-and-referendums/eu-referendum

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29519863 said:
You've always needed to be registered to vote and most already are. There isn't some sort of special referendum vote registration .

Individual voter registration was brought in last year and that caused one million people to disappear from the electoral roll. A cynic would say that the Tories did it to kick as many left-learning young people off the roll as possible. Unfortunately the government now needs their votes in the EU referendum. :p

Soldato
Soldato
The current generation of politicians won't be around for long, though. I don't believe Boris is doing anything apart from furtherimg his own political ambitions, but when the electorate can put the fear of god into a government by way of engagement then things can change.

What we need is for electoral reform to be on the agenda next so we can get away from this ridiculous system of pendulum politics government.

Other than going AV or PR electoral reform will never happen in the way it should be envisaged: That is to say a government that is there to do its job in serving the people and not their own interests.

The true reform that is actually needed more than anything is not a political revolution but a peoples revolution where collectively we the people make a stand. Differences aside in minor issues in order to tackle the major ones.

Tax dodging and tax havens are something for example that collectively we needed to agree on. It is tax dodging and after a little further reading the £120bn in unpaid or dodged tax by both wealthy, super rich and the big corporations is a drastically underestimated figure. If I were to guestimate I would think the figure of dodged tax payments etc and sweetheart deals is closer to £500bn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom