The 'Everything Adobe Lightroom' Thread

Caporegime
Lightroom 5's auto tone I'm finding surprisingly good this time around. Sometimes depressingly goon on portraits. I get a pic how I like it hit auto tone and like it better :(

I'm having to back away and hide my ocd from going over all my older pics again :D

Caporegime
Quick question on HDD upgrades,

My LR is installed on c drive, with the catalogue and back up files also on c drive. All my photos are on another internal drive, my H drive. This is getting full and I want to upgrade it and clone across onto another larger drive then remove the smaller drive.

Will lightroom still pick up all my photos and changes or will I have to re-find and link the pictures to lightroom and restore the catalogue files?

Thanks for any help :)

Soldato
I don't have Lightroom as I use Photoshop, but I need help editing some images.

I had a wedding on the weekend and I took the camera, unfortunatly most of my photographs are badly overexposed.

Example:-

ZP4Kw6C.png

What would be the best way of fixing this? I've attempted to fiddle around with a few adjustment layers but everything ends up looking dull and lackluster.

Thanks.

V F

V F

Soldato
Try levels, output 3/250/1.20. Brightness -30/Contrast -35.

ckji.jpg

Soldato
Probably bringing this thread back from the dead but I've been playing around with things this evening, namely I installed the free version of AMD RAMDisk (limited to 4Gb) since I recently upgraded to 16Gb in my system.

Since moving to my D800 my PC can tend to chug along when opening the files in LR, I can normally cope with smaller batches of images but it gets a bit tedious going through my larger sets waiting for images to load. I only have a quad core i5-750 (ancient by todays standards I know but serves me well otherwise) so I am still limited by that.

I didn't think it was possible to move the actual folders but searching online I found the following Lightroom help page which mentioned creating a symbolic link to the folder so Lightroom still thinks that the previews folder is kept with the catalog.

So far what I've done is create the RAMDisk and move the previews folders for each of my catalogs on to it (I create 1 per year for instance) as well as the cache folder. My catalogs and until now my previews and cache folders were all kept on my SSD for speed. I've then followed this help pages instructions and created symbolic links to the previews folders (the cache you can just specify in LR).

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3404204

So basically I have my previews for each year kept on the RAMDisk, I normally clear them out now and again as they get quite large so my folders may not be as large as some peoples.

My photos are kept on a single 2TB drive in my PC which is probably a limiting factor, LR still has to access these to create previews/cache etc.

In testing it is quicker, if you don't have previews for images already LR will still need to create them, this process seems quicker to me, I've just opened the Library module, set the thumbnails to their smallest size and wait for LR to create the previews. This is fairly CPU intensive but once done I can open the images a lot faster, the "Loading" notification clears a lot faster and I can zoom in 1:1 quicker on the first go too.

Again, on my PC I am on a lower spec than most people so your mileage may vary, I would assume newer CPUs will create previews much faster than my PC.

One word of warning if you are wanting to try this make sure you set the RAMDisk up correctly, there are settings to save the image to disk and save on exit etc, I've put mine on my SSD. Don't put files (eg catalogs) on it that you don't have backups for. I've limited myself to just the cache and previews as I won't mind losing them if something goes wrong. I could put catalogs on there but the free version is limited to 4Gb so they all wont fit even without the previews etc. If someone wants to try putting a catalog on there please post findings, I'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this, I will probably try myself this week when I have more time.

!! I accept no liability for you losing data !!

RAMDisk (link to freeware version in top paragraph)

http://www.radeonmemory.com/software_downloads.php

Man of Honour
Whilst I am happy with my i5 2500K at 4.5GHz in Lightroom, I feel it could be a bit faster when exporting full res jpegs from a wedding shoot of say 400-500 photos as this does take a while. Everything else is fine though. I wouldn't mind an i7 I guess as the extra HT cores should decrease export times quite a bit from what I can see.

Soldato
Nope I'm not in to that these days, for everything else it's fine, just the D800 files slow it down a bit. I may buy a new i7 at some point but I am really surprised how well this old CPU has coped over the years, can't believe I bought it over 4 years ago. This RAMDisk seems to speed things up a tad if I leave it to create the previews first.

I'm going to test a catalog on it this weekend to see if that is any quicker.

Back
Top Bottom