The 'Everything Adobe Lightroom' Thread

Caporegime
Thanks guys, I might have to re-look at my save structure mrk and find something to automatically copy my LR files to another drive to stop having to do it manually.

I do wish they would put in a feature to copy to 2 places at once.

Did you look in preferences to see which catalogue loads each time?

Soldato
For reference you can completely delete the previews folder and still be fine, the only thing you really need is the catalog. Previews folder is just that, a folder that holds previews LR creates so it's quicker to view images, these are generated automatically when you open an image.

I don't use the LR backup feature, I automate backups to 2 external drives. I only copy the catalogs which makes it much faster. I also split my catalogs by year and sometimes events/holidays, depends how you like to organise things.

I'm on the fence about LR5, not enough differences over LR4 to be a game changer but things like the new spot removal tool is handy, it also seemed to be a bit faster loading images to work on. I may get it after the next patch.

On a side note I found an interesting tutorial video, it's probably a fairly basic video for some, more geared for new users with LR but I did find one or two tips in it. It's for LR4 not 5 but the fundamentals are the same. Best off watching on YT in 720p.

The B&H channel is really good, there are lots of 1 to 2 hour videos from pros which i found really interesting, they cover most fields and subjects, either howtos or more on how they work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BHPhotoVideoProAudio/videos

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Hi all,

Well i have a few new HDD's installed ready for a hefty backup.

Using Lightroom 4 still...

I know my catalogue is backed up. (to ext HDD)

So how do i backup the photos(raw) as such? trying to find things online directs me to plugins and time machine (im on Windows) :o Anyone have any advice?

Associate
Back them up as any normal file. I use Trueimage on a daily schedule. Wakes up the computer, does a full backup every 10 days and incremental backups in between.

Or if you want to go the simple, free way - try SyncToy (which you could also automate with a Windows schedule)

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Thanks for that!,

I have noticed that when i moved my catalogue to ext hdd, all my files move with it so ill just make backup of the lightroom folder.

Soldato
Does lightroom have a pre-set condition for importing files.
I have a folder structure
photos/year/month/
I had the option to create a subfolder which I selected when importing (photoshoot name)
I thought Id end up with a folder structure of

photos/year/month/photoshoot_name

instead I ended up with

photos/year/month/photoshoot_name/year/date/

Is there an option as Im trying to work out how to dump all the files into the right folder.

I also have a separate issue when trying to import photo's taken on different dates as well, as my camera will store photos in a separate folder for each day and lightroom preserves that structure for the import which is a pain if I go away for a weekend and want everything to go into the same folder

Permabanned
Can anyone tell me why, when I insert a memory card and try to import I only see a series of grey boxes with the file name.

If I double click to view the image it then appears as a thumbnail preview.

Associate
You can do that with a preset on import.

Or use the sync facility. In develop mode select the first picture that has the parameters you want copied. The shift select the others. Then click the sync button. Lightroom will then ask you what settings you want to sync/copy to the other images.

Caporegime
A question, I have gone from LR3 to 5.

I had the sliders nailed in my head for what they would do, these have been changed for 4 onwards.

I'm trying to get in my head now the difference between the new sliders:

Highlights and Whites
Shadows and Blacks

I can't see how this equates to the old recovery,fill and blacks or what the difference is between altering shadows or the black slider. Is shadows recovering the detail lost and blacks just altering the brightness of those blacks?

Last edited:
Soldato
Blacks and whites changes the respective brightness of the dark and light tones. You can lose detail with these through clipping. Holding down the option key on mac, or alt key on windows when sliding should show you want clipped highs and lows.

Highlights and shadows help to recover detail from the dark and light areas.

Back
Top Bottom