The 'Everything Adobe Lightroom' Thread

Soldato
So are mine, I will test anyway to see if it's any different, RAMDisks are quicker than SSD but would still be limited by having LR on the SSD. I think my limiting factors are CPU and the HDD the photos are stored on.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Had my first woes with LR(user error somwhere) and not using LR as it should be used!

Well 14th Jan 2014 my wife & I had a baby girl. So ofc took my camera and done some shots.

2 days later imported them to LR and didnt think much of it. Last week decided to go over them and see what was what. And can't find them on my drive what so ever :(:(

I have moved a lot of files over to external but photos in 2014 January are none existent!
And didn't backup either! :(

So now want to learn LR properly! with backup to external HDD.

Caporegime
Ah man gutted for you, I know that feeling. I have a picture of my dad kissing my son before his alzheimer's really kicked in and the only place that photo exists is on FB as I lost the set early on learning lightroom and a workflow :(

Since that day I have never deleted a card until I have them on my HDD in lightroom and a back location which for me is on another hdd and an external hdd. Then I delete the card.

Oh a whim I bought the LR magazine on the app store, it's very good. Liking it a lot. Bought the first 4 now and i'm getting more out of it that some of the books I have got.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Ah man gutted for you, I know that feeling. I have a picture of my dad kissing my son before his alzheimer's really kicked in and the only place that photo exists is on FB as I lost the set early on learning lightroom and a workflow :(

Since that day I have never deleted a card until I have them on my HDD in lightroom and a back location which for me is on another hdd and an external hdd. Then I delete the card.

Oh a whim I bought the LR magazine on the app store, it's very good. Liking it a lot. Bought the first 4 now and i'm getting more out of it that some of the books I have got.

I shall look in to the Mag, need more of a video guide really to maximise LR 4.4
as ive not gone to 5 yet

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
As im so un-organised and after loosing (supposedly) my photos of my daughter. Want to re work my catalogue! and start fresh!

is their anyway i can try and find the import files? as I never delete my photos just remove it from lightroom catalogue .

I have looked in >user>documents>my pics>LR/ Year - backdated to 2011 to -2014. But the ones from the birth in the 2014 folder isnt there at all!
So not sure that ive either removed from catalogue or just moved it

Really miffed as i remember importing them!

Man of Honour
The simplest way is the most tedious way.

Assuming you shot the photos as RAW then load up your documents folder root and on the top right search box of Explorer type in ".cr2" or ".nef" if they were on a Nikon. Windows will scan the contents of the entire folder and its subfolders and list all the RAW files it finds.

Set the view to thumbnails and enlarge the thumbnail sizes then simply skim through and see if you can spot them. Maybe sort by date to speed up skimming.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Just tried .CR2 via explorer and nowt! :( and looked in pictures and whatnot and nothing...

So want to make sure this doesn't happen again!!

Decided to start again, So anyone have tips to delete old catalogues and just start again? ofc a lot of importing and tagging but i need to do this! :)

i've just bought a new 4TB drive.

So main C:

E: 2TB Drive
G: 4TB Drive

I think ill start by putting folders

Landscapes
Portraits
Other

And then just putting the CR2's direct on to 2TB before importing to LR as before i just imported to LR and didnt backup.

and then tell LR to duplicate to 4TB

Caporegime
Okay i guess that's more simple! :)

What do you do in the way of backup Raymond?

It's a 2 stage process

Stage 1 - When the photos are being processed, it is stored in a WD Thunderbolt duo running RAID 1. So it has 2 HDDs running mirror, it is a live back up as it is done on the fly.

Stage 2 - When it is done, it is archived/copied in DNG format to the Drobo running it's own RAID redundancy software.

The Library is kept in the iMac drive, which is backed up separately to the Apple Time Capsule, this is automatic.

Both the Thunderbolt Duo and the Drobo are sent to cloud back up, this is also automatic.

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
It's a 2 stage process

Stage 1 - When the photos are being processed, it is stored in a WD Thunderbolt duo running RAID 1. So it has 2 HDDs running mirror, it is a live back up as it is done on the fly.

Stage 2 - When it is done, it is archived/copied in DNG format to the Drobo running it's own RAID redundancy software.

The Library is kept in the iMac drive, which is backed up separately to the Apple Time Capsule.

Both the Thunderbolt Duo and the Drobo are sent to cloud back up.

Wow okay lol :) Im at a loss then as using win 7! And can't afford a drobo! :o

thinking about the cloud backup as its £3 per month etc.

But want to get things sorted as my files are too much of a mess :(

Caporegime
You can get a general NAS that runs RAID 5, it'll do the same thing as a Drobo.

I recently got a Netgear ReadyNAS 104, it has 4 x 3TB in there now, it does the same thing pretty much. But I use that for my media as that was also in my Drobo once upon a time. So I got it to split them up and make it tidier.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
You can get a general NAS that runs RAID 5, it'll do the same thing as a Drobo.

I recently got a Netgear ReadyNAS 104, it has 4 x 3TB in there now, it does the same thing pretty much. But I use that for my media as that was also in my Drobo once upon a time. So I got it to split them up and make it tidier.

Something i shall look at but for now have to use external drives. So if anyone knows of a good way to backing up via LR or other software it will help a lot!

Soldato
I've used Syncback SE for years now on Win7, pretty straight forward to set up. I have it backing up to two external drives, I keep one at work and then just rotate them monthly.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

I prefer to keep my backups as manual as possible, so I only run them when I want, rather than scheduled, mainly as I don't keep the drive plugged in and I don't take as many photos as before.

Soldato
I just use the free version, does all I need.

I back up my LR folder although I add in filters to not copy preview files and the like as they take too much space and could just be regenerated anyway, all you really need is the LRCAT file.

Try Syncback, there is an option to do a test run so you can see what it would modify before you run it.

In fact here are a couple of my profiles you can just import to have a look at, nothing special, you can modify them to whatever you like.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24793607/ocuk/Syncback.zip

Back
Top Bottom