• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Financial Results Thread

Caporegime
So Nvidia only make ~35% more revenue than AMD, but their net income is 8 times higher. I understand that net income is highly geared, but still, that's quite a difference. I've never looked into it before, but I can certainly see why AMD don't have money to throw around, particularly as this is a very good quarter for them.
NVidia pump a lot into R&D, whilst AMD don't have the funds at present. From those stats, good for AMD making a profit.

Soldato
LOL,so AMD made a profit,when most of their mainstream(and large volume) sales in laptops and desktops are still CPUs based around Excavator,and that means at least for laptops usually lower end products. It makes me wonder once they start getting Raven Ridge how much more sales they will get.

Soldato
NVidia pump a lot into R&D, whilst AMD don't have the funds at present. From those stats, good for AMD making a profit.
I wouldn't get to caught up on R&D spends, the difference between AMD and Nvidia R&D spend is about 110m a quarter (300m for AMD and 410m for Nvidia). That sound like a lot but consider Intel spends nearly 3 billion a quarter alone should give some context considering how well AMD can now compete with Intel's CPU's. You also have to remember the difference in R&D spend is probably due to Nvidia's mobile/SOC divisions (Tegra) which AMD doesn't compete in.

Soldato
LOL,so AMD made a profit,when most of their mainstream(and large volume) sales in laptops and desktops are still CPUs based around Excavator,and that means at least for laptops usually lower end products. It makes me wonder once they start getting Raven Ridge how much more sales they will get.
They really need server chips like Opterons too and that should make a huge difference. Saying that threadripper hadn't been out long enough to effect the results much.

Soldato
They really need server chips like Opterons too and that should make a huge difference. Saying that threadripper hadn't been out long enough to effect the results much.

True,but if you go into most retailers,most AMD PCs still are using Excavator based CPUs,which places them more in the budget market,and most desktops and laptops sold don't have a dGPU. Now imagine a half decent CPU and a better IGP into the mix,and that should help AMD sell more boxes to the general public.

Caporegime
I wouldn't get to caught up on R&D spends, the difference between AMD and Nvidia R&D spend is about 110m a quarter (300m for AMD and 410m for Nvidia). That sound like a lot but consider Intel spends nearly 3 billion a quarter alone should give some context considering how well AMD can now compete with Intel's CPU's. You also have to remember the difference in R&D spend is probably due to Nvidia's mobile/SOC divisions (Tegra) which AMD doesn't compete in.

Nvidia doesn't compete in CPUs, Nvidia R&D budget is much more focused.

Intel isn't comparable because they are far more diverse in their product offerings and furthermore develop their own chip fabrication. The actual R&D budget Intel provisions solely to CPUs is probably pretty similar to AMD.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So Nvidia only make ~35% more revenue than AMD, but their net income is 8 times higher. I understand that net income is highly geared, but still, that's quite a difference. I've never looked into it before, but I can certainly see why AMD don't have money to throw around, particularly as this is a very good quarter for them.

AMD sell a lot of budget end APUs, and the console have minimal margins. Nvidia supplements its gaming products with extremely high margin professional solutions like GP100

Caporegime
AMD Shares Plummet More Than 13.4% After Decline in Q4 Guidance – Seasonality Or End Of The Bull Run?

AMD (NASDAQ:AMD 12.33 -13.47%) shares have plummeted more than 13.4% after CEO Lisa Su guided a revenue drop of 13-18% sequentially. The company recently turned the ship around but immediately saw its shares drop in the wake of lowered guidance for Q4 2017. AMD has always been a stock that was especially vulnerable to market forces and this change in pace can be viewed as a warning indicator for market sentiment.

http://wccftech.com/amd-shares-plummet-13-4-decline-q4-guidance-seasonality-end-bull-run/

Ohh dear, that isn't a good sign :(

Soldato
AMD Shares Plummet More Than 13.4% After Decline in Q4 Guidance – Seasonality Or End Of The Bull Run?

http://wccftech.com/amd-shares-plummet-13-4-decline-q4-guidance-seasonality-end-bull-run/

Ohh dear, that isn't a good sign :(

LMAO,its happened before and then rebounded upwards. Its called shorting.

You do realise with Apple the same thing happened a while back - they made a record quarter in terms of profit and shares went down,because some investment houses made up some rubbish about the record profits "not being enough".

Then the stock manupilators did this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauren...nation-technology-stock-craters/#17918e4f599d
http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple...logies-stock-crashes-over-60-2017-4?r=US&IR=T

Just because Apple ditched a tech supplier it caused their shares to drop massively by over 60% and Apple are still a massively profitable company and have proven they can design chips fine - their consumer ARM chips are the fastest and most advanced on the market. There was zero indication of any real problems.

Look at the stock price now - its back to normal. Some people made tons of money out of that.

For instance I read another article where,one of the major ones expected the share price to increase to $16 for AMD and another one said it should decrease to $11,but the latter one apparently did not realise AMD was releasing Raven Ridge APUs to the mainstream next month!

:o

I mean the company has beats its revenue and profit targets this quarter and looks to beat its revenue and profit targets next quarter according to what the CEO has had.

So,the stock manipulators have made sure they cause a jitter so the price drops for a short period since they know once it rebounds they can make more money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
LMAO,its happened before and then rebounded upwards. Its called shorting.

You do realise with Apple the same thing happened a while back - they made a record quarter in terms of profit and shares went down,because some investment houses made up some rubbish about the record profits "not being enough".
I don't do financials bud but was a bit annoyed with myself for not buying shares a long while back when I had the chance. I just see this on wccf (why I still go there is beyond me) and posted it.

Soldato
I don't do financials bud but was a bit annoyed with myself for not buying shares a long while back when I had the chance. I just see this on wccf (why I still go there is beyond me) and posted it.

TBH,my only real reason about wanting AMD to be profitable is so they can continue to invest in new designs,and keep some competition going. I mean don't get me wrong,AMD is not out of the woods yet,but like I said they have not even got the Zen based APUs out yet - most AMD PCs in shops are still not Ryzen ones but Bulldozer uarch and Jaguar uarch ones,and they even said earlier in the year Zen based APUs will be arriving at the end of the year. So more than Ryzen,I do really hope Raven Ridge pans out well.

Caporegime
Did amd post another loss? I can't quite tell reading all that :p

Its actually quite straight forward once you know what you are looking at.

Loss is (in Brackets)

Iytx0_UP.jpg

Caporegime
For once, well explained.

Obviously not vegas doing lol

Probably not, what's buried in all the figures is AMD's "Graphics and Computing solutions" 'GPU's and CPU's' is up 73%, it makes up about $850m of the $1.64B revenue, yes you can bet your life the 73% hike is exclusively down to Ryzen and Threadripper CPU's.

The rest is IP and embedded which would be medical and industrial equipment and Games Consoles.

Last edited:
Caporegime
PS: as for AMD's shares taking a nose dive despite this very positive report:

Its meaningless, there are several large firms who use fluctuating companies like AMD for shorting, they have minions write reports on companies like this and report whatever benefits them, IE: if they want to buy AMD shares at a low price AMD get a very bad report which knocks the price down, they buy in and sell again when they think the price has reached a peak, like when AMD publish a good financial report, there are so many short investors doing this it affects the share price when they move.

Before this financial report some very well known 'analysts' reported AMD would have a disaster Q3 2017 and that their shares would fall 70%, they did this knowing AMD had been selling Zen based CPU on mass, with places like Mind Factory reporting massive market share increases for AMD.

These people know exactly what they are doing, and what they are doing is actually illegal, the problem with it, as with anything banking these days deregulation and the end of individuals being responsible for anything is proving anyone did anything wrong.

So when you see an apparently respected financial institution reporting on AMD's situation "in their view" take it with a massive pinch of salt, the chances are its utter BS.

Back
Top Bottom