• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Financial Results Thread

Soldato
The whole tech market is screwy currently - Microsoft made record profits and their shares is down. Nvidia is also affected - saw the following posted on TPU:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/1540441300106-png.109329/

1540441300106-png.109329

cRrEfgQ.png

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole USA market has been a bit peaky for a while. I'm still of the opinion that much of the bull run has been thanks to the previous government. Tech stocks being hit hardest atm.
MS is down but note that their results were released after the market closed and they were up a little in after session trading. In fact in pre-session trading today they're up 3.6%.

AMD shares were a little too high, more so than Nvidia's (based on earnings).
Releasing such results with a less positive prediction for the next quarter while the entire market is already diving was never going to go well :). At the moment it looks like a correction to the run that went a little too far on expectation (rather than actual numbers/results)
Buying opportunites? DYOR :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole USA market has been a bit peaky for a while. I'm still of the opinion that much of the bull run has been thanks to the previous government. Tech stocks being hit hardest atm.
MS is down but note that their results were released after the market closed and they were up a little in after session trading. In fact in pre-session trading today they're up 3.6%.

AMD shares were a little too high, more so than Nvidia's (based on earnings).
Releasing such results with a less positive prediction for the next quarter while the entire market is already diving was never going to go well :). At the moment it looks like a correction to the run that went a little too far on expectation (rather than actual numbers/results)
Buying opportunites? DYOR :D
politics-gordon_brown-labour-budget-speculate-speculation-cgon192_low.jpg

TBF,I am surprised GPUs made that much of the AMD market,but it does show you AMD is still more a CPU company than a GPU company. Whenever they have had very competitive GPUs they didn't do as well as when they had competitive CPUs.

I hope the share price takes into consideration their GPU division won't be so hot for a while.

Soldato
Not looking great for Nvidia today, they are down 20% in pre-market trading. Also from the 1st Oct high of $289, all the way to $160, or about 45% down to where they were in mid-2017. Lets hope the Automotive side of things picks up for them, or Jensen will be forced to skip buying his new RTX enabled jacket.

Soldato
Not looking great for Nvidia today, they are down 20% in pre-market trading. Also from the 1st Oct high of $289, all the way to $160, or about 45% down to where they were in mid-2017. Lets hope the Automotive side of things picks up for them, or Jensen will be forced to skip buying his new RTX enabled jacket.
I'm holding stock too :(. I was tempted to sell a chunk before the news - had a hunch but weighted up the pros and cons and made a decision. Already sold a load previously however and I did buy around $18 so not concerned :).
AMD's results concerned me in how Nvidia might have suffered the same problems this quarter and RTX sentiment does too. Also a lot of positive sentiment from analysts with the belief that bad news was already priced in. As is often the case the so called experts were wrong.
Similar to AMD they were due to correction although at $289 they were much cheaper than AMD was at the recent peak. Intel was/is much cheaper than either however.
I won't be surprised of a bounce but not expecting them to get back to $289 anytime soon. Their old Pascal stock problems will drag on for a bit from the sounds of it. But it's a stock I still want to be holding in 5-10 years. And the results were not bad, just that the market was expecting better. Companies never punch out the same growth in numbers consistently.

Jenson will have to sell up his leather and move to a sweater, a polyester one :).

Last edited:
Soldato
NVDA down to $144 and still dropping, 18 months of gains lost in 2 days. 50% of the value it was on the 1st Oct.

Unless they have a blinder of a 4th quarter I can see them dropping back to sub $100.

Soldato
I think it's linked to crypto for the moment because of the results being affected this quarter by the crypto bear market. Bad day for crypto = bad day for AMD and NV., especially when the overall stock market is also falling (dow down 1.5%). Correlation to crypto should change if they punch out good numbers in the coming quarters.
On P\E ratio Nvidia are closing in on Intel for cheapness. Amd are still way out there and expensive in comparison. Buying opportunity I'd say (for long term hold). Investing is risky though - take that as me not giving advice :) .
AMD are 62, Nvidia 21.9 now and Intel 14.6. P\E ratio is of course only one thing to consider. For those unaware it's Price to earnings ratio, ie AMD are priced at 62 x earnings.
A disappointing thing with Nvidia is that they've lost some trust with the market because of what they shared with the market after the previous results regardng the impact of crypto.

Pity SLI doesn't work otherwise they could have done a two for one offer to get rid of the old stock :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom