• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Financial Results Thread

Soldato
Personally I think they'll both have a good 2019. Now NVDA has their mainstream cards coming to market that should give them some scope to drop prices on the higher tier cards and get some volume going.
With NV I feel it's a bit of a transition phase. RT has been a bit of a gamble, a bold move in technology. Next gen I think will be better for Nvidia but I also think sales will grow as they mature the current cards. Many are still comparing with old gen and concluded the performance gain isn't there, and they're kind of right but there is technology in the new cards to help them pull well ahead, when it's put to use and properly. I think with RT NV is sowing the seeds for the future, sacrificing a little now in terms of profits.
Regarding China, maybe sales of high end cards is just not there. AMD don't have any of those hence might be seeing differences in the market between them.

Soldato
RT has been a bit of a gamble

It's the pricing which was the gamble. Like Apple, nVidia have pushed and pushed, thinking the good times would never end. Now they've hit resistance and it's hurting their sales and their share price. This isn't something they can ride out and it goes a long way to proving that people will not, in sufficient numbers, pay up to £1500 for a graphics card to support the company's pricing strategy.

Soldato
It's the pricing which was the gamble. Like Apple, nVidia have pushed and pushed, thinking the good times would never end. Now they've hit resistance and it's hurting their sales and their share price. This isn't something they can ride out and it goes a long way to proving that people will not, in sufficient numbers, pay up to £1500 for a graphics card to support the company's pricing strategy.
Pricing also reflects the R&D. It's still a big die however we look at the cost vs the 10 series. I see it as a risk because they could have just continued the same path, ie, more cuda cores than last gen to give a similar increase in performance vs 9 series, fairer pricing, the low risk 20 series. Instead they're released early tech, expensive (at least partly due to the R&D, die size etc), where the tech is hardly being used at the moment.
The gamble IMO is also releasing tech and making the consumer pay for it that is still hardly beign used when the could have just released a BAU series, moorreee cores :).

On another note, AMD up another 7.4% today at present - good stuff :)

Last edited:
Soldato
nVidia up over 5% today as well. Most predictable bounce ever, but still :) If Trump can leave the economy to the adults for a while we might see some extended positive gains.

Man of Honour
Not really for the graphics forum...but amusing. EA have really lost the plot the last few years. Without their sport licenses I suspect they would be in trouble.

What I find amusing is that the problem is well within their hand to fix - take Battlefield V for instance - get someone like Dice LA? (can't remember which was the reasonably good at gameplay programming studio though it might be defunct now) onto it rather than the main Dice people who just can't do anything other than pretty graphics - re-release the MP stripped back to what works well, get some decent maps in there and some kind of larger scale semi-persistent online campaign mode as well as self contained traditional team deathmatch and conquest, etc. properly condemn the BS that lead upto the original launch, dedicated servers and some basic modding support, etc. and bring the price down to something more reconciliatory and I'm pretty sure it would even now sell well.

Anthem... I mean even with a graphics downgrade there is no reason why that game shouldn't be fun - get the controls and bread and butter mechanics nailed so they fit like a glove and get over the style over substance gameplay, etc. and again it would sell better. (The Division for all its faults did atleast nail many areas that Anthem just gets so wrong).

Last edited:
Associate
Just noticed their now charging £1,700 & £2,000 for Asus and lightening respectively. Theyll just need to sell 1 or 2 of these to some mentally vulnerable customers and Nvidias books will balance again.

Just when is was disgusting enough at £1,000-£1,200 on day 1 they have slowly gone up and up. Where do these ludicrous prices come from? In what world is basically the same product as the £1,050 model charging double the price. A premium yes but additional £700-900 for more of less the same product!!! People say the market determines the price but as i said previously apparently 1 in 4 people suffers a mental illness, therefore i think there needs to be checks been done on those buying cause no sane person would pay these prices. Its millionaires or the vulnerable.

Man of Honour
Just noticed their now charging £1,700 & £2,000 for Asus and lightening respectively. Theyll just need to sell 1 or 2 of these to some mentally vulnerable customers and Nvidias books will balance again.

Just when is was disgusting enough at £1,000-£1,200 on day 1 they have slowly gone up and up. Where do these ludicrous prices come from? In what world is basically the same product as the £1,050 model charging double the price. A premium yes but additional £700-900 for more of less the same product!!! People say the market determines the price but as i said previously apparently 1 in 4 people suffers a mental illness, therefore i think there needs to be checks been done on those buying cause no sane person would pay these prices. Its millionaires or the vulnerable.

I have no problem with stupidly expensive halo "ultra" cards aslong as there are also more reasonable options in the higher end tier.

Associate
Not sure what OCUK are doing with their prices but some serious gouging going on. The lightning is £400 cheaper at competitors (£540 without stock) That's ridiculous :s

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not sure what OCUK are doing with their prices but some serious gouging going on. The lightning is £400 cheaper at competitors (£540 without stock) That's ridiculous :s

They're doing EXACTLY what nvidia are doing, pushing their prices up to see how much people are willing to stomach.

Soldato
Expect another announcement from Nvidia prior to Q1 '19 earnings report, with more bad news. Still significant overhang from the previous generation and new RTX sales are hugely below expectations, AMD aren't helping either due to them still clearing out excess inventory at low prices.

2019 is going to be a hard year for GPU manufacturers.

Caporegime
Except they only compete in the markets they are active in.
My local baker doesn't compete with Toyota or IBM, but the baker int eh village one over.

Soldato
Except they only compete in the markets they are active in.
My local baker doesn't compete with Toyota or IBM, but the baker int eh village one over.

We're talking about investing. Money competes with money.

An investor is going to look at what's going to give him the best returns, not what company sells more GPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
We're talking about investing. Money competes with money.

An investor is going to look at what's going to give him the best returns, not what company sells more GPUs.

Exactly this, market share as a percentage also isn't a big a indicator of profit either, I could have 99% of the market, but if the market is shrinking and worth $10 this year, and was worth $1000 last year then I would have preferred a 50% share last year, than what I have now.

The crypto bubble caused a huge temporary gain for sales, and as a result has actually caused sales to go the opposite way after the crash due to huge over supply in the marker for both of the major manufacturers. NVDA are trading at $148, down almost 50% in 5 months, and that is looking like it is going to continue as GPU sales are lagging behind due to the hang over from the crypto bubble, and from Nvidia a less than luke warm reception for their new technology.

Caporegime
Good job Nvidia made mountains of profit which is why they still has an insanely high p/e.

But frankly who cares about investors, this is a GPU forum

Back
Top Bottom