The First Descendant (UE5)

Pretty much played this exclusively for the past few days .. pretty much got 2 characters to level 40 and I’m level 11 mastery. Still not completed the normal story mode yet. The big boss fights are pretty good and also a good gear check as well. Worth it as it is F2P but you can spend loads on skins and minor boosts.

Finished the Normal campaign today. Having spent £8 on the battle pass, I think it was worth it for the enjoyment I got from it.
Now it's on to the Hard mode, and there's not much reason to keep going. I'll log on to do seasonal objectives - you're limited to 2 levels a day from dailies, or a bunch from weeklies - and to help folk out.

The main loop is to upgrade gear, and to farm new items, a la warframe. I am not keen on Nexon's version of this grind. The good stuff is locked at a 3% droprate inside amorphous things ("relics"), which can be boosted to 6%* by an item that has an even worse drop chance. And these "relics" are same as warframe in that you have to grind some other activity to get them to drop. Additionally, you cannot pool together with other players to increase odds like in warframe, you're on your own. Warframe burned me out on this multi-layered grind, I don't have time for it, especially not with this solo-centric mechanism

In fact, most of the gameplay loop and item mechanics are a carbon copy of warframe, with mostly negative adjustments. The only positive I would say is that some of the events can be much quicker than a warframe mission.

The weapon system is ok, but its mainly a ripoff of destiny. They use the same system for upgrading old guns into new as destiny, but you have to build special items to do it. Cynically speaking, this is a cover up for a lack of weapon diversity. This is further exampled by needing to build FIVE copies of each ultimate weapon to level the unique traits to max. Idk if that's a copy of another system, but it comes across as busy work.

The final kicker for me is the "potato" system, the energy activator items. These are crucial to actual progress in the game. They are items that add more capacity to your character/weapons so you can fit more mods on. In warframe they double your capacity. Here they just add 20 slots from a base of 50. They are a nightmare to grind for, with the same low drop chance in multi-layered grinds. You can buy them for 1500 which works out to be around £24. I am extremely reluctant to use one on normal characters, just like I've never done in warframe (barring a couple before their primes were released) and especially when they only give less than 50% increase. They are also used on weapons, so if you wanna max everything out you'll be paying through the nose or grinding for years.

All in all it was a fun shooter, extremely well-polished, with punchy gunplay and breakneck speed (bunny).
The story was absolute garbage, but delivered better than destiny 2 imo, although I did skip every single conversation that wasn't a cutscene which is not normal for me. I think they used AI to write filler dialogue. Lots of words with little substance.
I'll possibly dip in and out beyond the season. I'm keen to see how/if they make any adjustments to my criticisms going forward. I think they could have a really excellent game here, and for anyone who just didnt like the feel of warframe this could be a good title to invest the time into.

*edit: some of the items are 6% base increased to 10% in hard mode relics, which is slightly more palatable but I would still wanna be pooling together with other players.

Last edited:
Playing this with mrk and another friend, good fun in a group, and f2p means nothing spent so far.

We're not rushing it though, couple of sessions and level 26 ish, I've unlocked bunny and have leveled that to 21 but was fairly quick with my guns from my OG level 26 character.

With these kinds of games I try and spend as little actual money as possible unless I love the game enough and have enough time on it, we'll see if I wind up in the real money trap.

Yup for free it's a good game, and obviously more enjoyable with a crew :cool:

Btw the last patch fixed Ray Reconstruction not seeming to work:

On:
qoegWCH.gif

Off:
n3c87g8.gif

It loses 7fps on a 4090 though so it's still not as it should be but it's a start.

Completed 3 zones / 3 bosses and it's already getting reputative, especially the bosses, with their 3 phase invulnerable 3 floating balls stages. I'm hoping it changes as higher levels.

Last edited:
Enjoyable game but nothing to write home about. Constantly reboots my system for some reason that i cant pin down as to why atm.
Hmm, I have completed the main story mode and have had 2 BSOD so far and this is the only game it has happened on. Looking at the steam forums, other people seem to have had the exact same thing and some reckon it is to do with their anti-cheat software causing the BSOD.

Dead Bride, proper dps check wall that was. Made me actually look at the mod system! Was much easier solo than with groups of potatoes, and I am definitely way below average at this (and I'm using the ice skills woman so not great for that fight)

I think the mats grind is going to kill this for me once I hit the end, and the research timers are unnecessary - very mobile game-eque.

Still its a decent distraction whilst I wait for the next Destiny 2 episode to drop!

Back
Top Bottom