The First FrreSync monitor for sale now?

Associate
Ooo I have this monitor, if the cost of shipping to Iiyama isn't much then I might get this done on this monitor, however if Nvidia aren't going to support FreeSync then I guess it would be a bit pointless to ship it off to them?

Soldato
yeah it would be pointless unless you plan to switch over to an AMD card next purchase. Oh, how do you like the monitor apart from that?

Associate
This monitor is also much better specced than direct G-Synch competitors.

2x DP, 2x HDMi, 1x DL-DVI, 1xVGA

vs

1x DP

Err that makes no difference to me and imagine a lot of people I buy a monitor to use for a PC so as long as I can connect it that is all that matters to me. Display Port is perfectly fine for me.

Soldato
OP
Err that makes no difference to me and imagine a lot of people I buy a monitor to use for a PC so as long as I can connect it that is all that matters to me. Display Port is perfectly fine for me.

It makes no difference if one thing costs more to build, is a better spec yet costs less to buy?

Associate
yeah it would be pointless unless you plan to switch over to an AMD card next purchase.
Which will be never due to CUDA.

Oh, how do you like the monitor apart from that?
Other than the fact that it's a TN panel, it is surprising how accurate these colours are, also rotating horizontal for different viewing angles it keeps its colour far better than any other TN panel I've used before, even compared to my Samsung 23A700D's! The only issue is screen tearing and the fact that it's 60Hz but otherwise it's the best TN monitor I have ever used.

My next monitor I think I would want to compliment this display, most likely an IPS 4k display but this time with G-Sync and at least 120Hz. I know Seiki will have a VA panel coming soon so I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

Soldato
OP
I think the next round of Nvidia cards, or maybe the ones after that looking at the timing will support FreeSync and Gsync will get dropped now we have an open standard. Unless Nvidia go for a second version of Gsync thats really low cost and can work along FreeSync I can't see how it can survive and turn a profit. Thats assuming FreeSync isn't total rubbish of course.

Last edited:
Soldato
Other than the fact that it's a TN panel, it is surprising how accurate these colours are, also rotating horizontal for different viewing angles it keeps its colour far better than any other TN panel I've used before, even compared to my Samsung 23A700D's! The only issue is screen tearing and the fact that it's 60Hz but otherwise it's the best TN monitor I have ever used.

My next monitor I think I would want to compliment this display, most likely an IPS 4k display but this time with G-Sync and at least 120Hz. I know Seiki will have a VA panel coming soon so I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

Thank you for your insights :) Your comments are very relevant to me because I currently use a Samsung SA700D :D

How do you find it for gaming in shooters like counter strike etc?

Associate
Just wanted to chime in with regards to nVidia supporting Freesync:
From what I've understood, Freesync is now a part of VESA standard. Not sure if it's an OBLIGATORY standard, but it would in either case leave nVidia in an awkward situation, being one of the two main players in the GPU market, and not supporting an OFFICIAL industry standard, let alone a standard that is rapidly gaining interest among gamers, which also happens to be their main audience... By opting out of it, I would see such a drastic decision dramatically increasing the sales of AMD's products. For example, I'm currently deciding upon a new rig, but because nVidia hasn't yet confirmed their support for Freesync, I have thus far limited myself to Radeons in the GPU department.

Soldato
Just wanted to chime in with regards to nVidia supporting Freesync:
From what I've understood, Freesync is now a part of VESA standard. Not sure if it's an OBLIGATORY standard, but it would in either case leave nVidia in an awkward situation, being one of the two main players in the GPU market, and not supporting an OFFICIAL industry standard, let alone a standard that is rapidly gaining interest among gamers, which also happens to be their main audience... By opting out of it, I would see such a drastic decision dramatically increasing the sales of AMD's products. For example, I'm currently deciding upon a new rig, but because nVidia hasn't yet confirmed their support for Freesync, I have thus far limited myself to Radeons in the GPU department.
Freesync is a AMD ONLY thing so of cause Nvidia is not going to support it....

Looks more like your getting Freesync and Adaptive-Sync mixed up ..http://techreport.com/news/26451/adaptive-sync-added-to-displayport-spec

Adaptive-Sync added to DisplayPort spec

VESA has officially added a feature called Adaptive-Sync to the DisplayPort 1.2a specification, which means that a G-Sync-style adaptive refresh mechanism could be built into nearly every new desktop monitor in the coming months and years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Freesync is a AMD ONLY thing so of cause Nvidia is not going to support it....

Looks more like your getting Freesync and Adaptive-Sync mixed up ..http://techreport.com/news/26451/adaptive-sync-added-to-displayport-spec

You misunderstand freesync and adaptive sync. Adaptive sync is a feature that some monitors will have. Any graphic card with a 1.2 display port and the necessary hardware controller, and driver will be able to connect to an adaptive sync monitor.

Freesync is just what AMD are calling their method of connecting to an adaptive sync monitor.

Gsync is basically freesync and adaptive sync in one unit.

Hope this makes sense. Just ask if it doesn't.

Soldato
You misunderstand freesync and adaptive sync. Adaptive sync is a feature that some monitors will have. Any graphic card with a 1.2 display port and the necessary hardware controller, and driver will be able to connect to an adaptive sync monitor.

Freesync is just what AMD are calling their method of connecting to an adaptive sync monitor.

Gsync is basically freesync and adaptive sync in one unit.

Hope this makes sense. Just ask if it doesn't.

Gsync is Nvidia's variable sync. Exclusive to Nvidia cards only, and monitors that have the extra module, which adds to the cost.

Adaptive Sync on 1.2a DP is a VESA Standard, that is pushed by AMD.

Was initially called Freesync by some media outlets earlier this year, because it actually doesn't require to buy a third party (Nvidia) module to make it work. And any manufacturer can use it without royalties costs. Something that is not the case for Gsync where the manufacturers of screens and graphic cards have to pay Nvidia to use it and buy modules.

So, anything can support Adaptive Sync if the hardware is there to do so.
And I will not be surprised if we see it on the next Intel motherboards and IGPs supporting it.

Soldato
Gsync is Nvidia's variable sync. Exclusive to Nvidia cards only, and monitors that have the extra module, which adds to the cost.

Adaptive Sync on 1.2a DP is a VESA Standard, that is pushed by AMD.

Was initially called Freesync by some media outlets earlier this year, because it actually doesn't require to buy a third party (Nvidia) module to make it work. And any manufacturer can use it without royalties costs. Something that is not the case for Gsync where the manufacturers of screens and graphic cards have to pay Nvidia to use it and buy modules.

So, anything can support Adaptive Sync if the hardware is there to do so.
And I will not be surprised if we see it on the next Intel motherboards and IGPs supporting it.

Are you quoting me because you are agreeing with me? This is what I said just in very simple terms.

Associate
I want to order this right now.

But am I going to have to ship it off to upgrade it? Even the versions purchased right now?

I'd rather not, cost and downtime + risk of damage in transit etc etc. How long before these ship with the update if so?

Associate

But am I going to have to ship it off to upgrade it? Even the versions purchased right now?

I'd rather not, cost and downtime + risk of damage in transit etc etc. How long before these ship with the update if so?

It seems that you will have to ship it off to upgrade it. I am ok with that, ordered one yesterday (it's part of my feeling sorry for myself because I am ill on yet another bleeding Christmas).

I wanted a 4k monitor for a while, but wanted to have the choice of freesync also. So this is ideal, can use 4k for now, then when the time comes send it off for a bit and get it freesync enabled. It's a bit of a pain, but I got a 1440p ips that I bought last Christmas. Which will come in handy for the downtime whilst they do their magic. It beats waiting for Freesync to actually come to us anyway.

Associate
I don't have a spare monitor, so will have to pass for now :( meh.

It will likely cost at least £30+ to ship it off too. Soooo not really saving anything in the long run, hopefully they will ship updated in a month or so.

Associate
It seems that you will have to ship it off to upgrade it. I am ok with that, ordered one yesterday (it's part of my feeling sorry for myself because I am ill on yet another bleeding Christmas).

I wanted a 4k monitor for a while, but wanted to have the choice of freesync also. So this is ideal, can use 4k for now, then when the time comes send it off for a bit and get it freesync enabled. It's a bit of a pain, but I got a 1440p ips that I bought last Christmas. Which will come in handy for the downtime whilst they do their magic. It beats waiting for Freesync to actually come to us anyway.

Hi BuzzLloydyear I would be interested to hear what you think about the change over from your IPS screen to the new 4K Tn screen when you receive it.

Soldato
OP

Call Iiyama UK :)

Back
Top Bottom