• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury Pro Fiji Owners Thread

Permabanned
good to know. but either way it wasn't the monitor, since me and other get that from time to time. in my case as I have 2 cards, half of the screen gets green, other half is squashed and with artifacts ;) enabling and disabling xfire to fix it works for me ;)

I open ccc and change the monitor to 1440 and that fixes it, then I say no to keeping the changes and it goes back to it's usual 1080p. Not a major hassle but they do need to get on and fix it.

Associate
Thanks for the replies all and the add to the RoH.

Quick-ish update. So far, so.... mixed tbh. :/

Got it installed ok, up and running on the new monitor. BF4 and a few benchmarks all running and looking sweet maxed out at 1440p, 144Hz, Freesync etc.
Really impressed with this card and monitor combo, all looks fantastic and runs well.

But... and it's a big but at the moment and not sure what to do.

One of the reasons I went for a Fury, not an X and for this particular model was I wanted quiet card - didn't want to get stuck with pump noise or coil whine - and to be fair it is a quiet card.
But... it seems to cause a stupid amount of electrical interference with my sound card when running at load. :(

I have an ASUS STXII with the daughter board and have tried moving them around a bit to different slots but hasn't made a lot of difference and no idea what happened but at one point I thought I'd killed the mobo. Which I recovered from but now seems one of the dual bios still has issues (though I haven't re flashed that one yet, just the other one).

Will have a bit more of a play over the weekend moving the cards between slots again and try the old card back in there - as I don't ever remember hearing the interference with the old card - but if I can't sort it I really don't think I can live with it as it is. :(

PITA as if the card goes back the monitor will have to too. :mad:

Associate
So you are saying that if you find that the sound card is buzzing and this is down to your Fury Card, then you will return the Fury card and the monitor?

Firstly this card and monitor are a great combination, as quite a few of us have them and are having no interference probs at all AFAIK. Well it's the first time I have heard of it on the OCUK forums at least (I obviously don't get out enough :p ).

Wouldnt it be a cheaper option to get a new sound card or even RMA the Fury first (If it is indeed the issue).

I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick here, but it just seems crazy to me.

I am still running an old Soundblaster Fatality card and never had no probs whatsoever with any other card causing interference. I hope you solve the issue quickly though, whatever you choose to do :)

Permabanned
Software or the furies?

I was asking who's been trying to overclock there Fiji chipped cards with Sapphire's Trix software which now has voltage control for them.

I tried it and the results were negligible at best. I can run Firestrike at 1100 mhz on stock voltage and with voltage control it wouldn't even do 1128 mhz.

:rolleyes:

Associate
The additional voltage via Trixx allowed my Asus to get beyond 1100 stable but the extra voltage meant a lot of additional heat. That extra heat meant the fans worked a lot harder and drove noise levels up too. Just not worth the extra Mhz noise vs performance improvements. If i put a custom profile on the fan to what i consider an acceptable levels the card throttled when it hit 84c.

Soldato
I was asking who's been trying to overclock there Fiji chipped cards with Sapphire's Trix software which now has voltage control for them.

I tried it and the results were negligible at best. I can run Firestrike at 1100 mhz on stock voltage and with voltage control it wouldn't even do 1128 mhz.

:rolleyes:

I see, didn't know if you meant the trix software sucked or card. Not looking good for clocking though going on that.

Associate
I spoke too soon, had hard lock playing GRID autosport after matching the Fury X at 1050Mhz, on the menu after a race! lol

I've not overvolted yet tho. Can someone with a Fury X tell me the the default VDDC so I can match it? I'm assuming for non-X fury is slightly undervolted?

Soldato
Associate
So you are saying that if you find that the sound card is buzzing and this is down to your Fury Card, then you will return the Fury card and the monitor?

Firstly this card and monitor are a great combination, as quite a few of us have them and are having no interference probs at all AFAIK. Well it's the first time I have heard of it on the OCUK forums at least (I obviously don't get out enough :p ).

Wouldnt it be a cheaper option to get a new sound card or even RMA the Fury first (If it is indeed the issue).

I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick here, but it just seems crazy to me.

I am still running an old Soundblaster Fatality card and never had no probs whatsoever with any other card causing interference. I hope you solve the issue quickly though, whatever you choose to do :)

Sorry for the late reply, been playing about with it a bit more.

You're right, it is a great combination and apart from the interference I'm very happy with the both. The reason for saying I'd have to return both is that if the Fury went I'd have to go back to my old 7970, which I just don't think would cut it at 1440p/144Hz so I'd be back on my old 1080p monitor.

Sound cards is a whole other issue! I had - and still do somewhere - a X-Fi Elite Pro, which I loved and ran for years but when I built the rig I have now it just didn't get on with it for some reason. I had the random switching of channels bug, which I first had on Vista on an old build but playing about with custom drivers etc it fixed itself. But what ever I did on the current build it just wasn't happy.

So I then ran on-board sound for a bit but was never happy with it.

Eventually got a Creative ZxR, which was a step up from the onboard but again wasn't overly happy with it as to my mind I still preferred my old X-Fi.

So I'm now on an ASUS STX II, which - IMO - is a good step up from the ZxR and I've been pretty happy with it since having it.

I think a big part of my problem with the interference is the number of cables etc in my setup. Normal stuff for the PC wired up on the desk but then it's also wired up out to the TV and 5.1 analogue out to a home cinema amp etc. The interference didn't seem to affect the mic input or the headphone output, so I can only put it down to the analogue cables out to the amp.

Anyway... the upshot now is that I've now got it to the point where the interference is basically fixed. I initially re-jigged the power cables from the PSU to the sound and GFX cards and moved the sound card to another slot - this is a bit of a pita as it now means it's sharing lanes with the GFX card, so the GFX card is now running x8 not x16 but no biggy.

That got it to the point where it was bearable at low to mid volume on the amp but still there if the amp was turned up but nowhere near as bad as before. But I've now added a 'ground loop isolator' to the one set of phono leads for the L/R front channels and that has pretty much got rid of the interference to the point that I can now live with it.

I may now look to move the sound card back to the x1 slot so I can get the GFX card running back at x16. I'm also tempted to dig out the old X-Fi and see if I can get that working again as I can stick that in the PCI slot right at the bottom and it won't be using PCIe. I'm also still on Win7 but do plan to move to Win10 at some point, so maybe that will fix the X-Fi issues I was having previously.

tl;dr = Moved the sound card to a different slot, re-cabled the PSU to sound and GFX cards, installed a 'ground loop isolator'.

Soldato
The additional voltage via Trixx allowed my Asus to get beyond 1100 stable but the extra voltage meant a lot of additional heat. That extra heat meant the fans worked a lot harder and drove noise levels up too. Just not worth the extra Mhz noise vs performance improvements. If i put a custom profile on the fan to what i consider an acceptable levels the card throttled when it hit 84c.

Thats interesting my Fury X won't go above 1110/545 and thats with a voltage kick too, but the cooler is so over overengineered it doesn't go above 50c even though its barely hitting 30% on the fan.

Associate
Thats interesting my Fury X won't go above 1110/545 and thats with a voltage kick too, but the cooler is so over overengineered it doesn't go above 50c even though its barely hitting 30% on the fan.
Is yours the Sapphire or Asus card? Mine's the Asus and it just doesn't take well to voltage increases in terms of heat.

Back
Top Bottom