• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury Pro Fiji Owners Thread

Permabanned
I was asking who's been trying to overclock there Fiji chipped cards with Sapphire's Trix software which now has voltage control for them.

I tried it and the results were negligible at best. I can run Firestrike at 1100 mhz on stock voltage and with voltage control it wouldn't even do 1128 mhz.

:rolleyes:

I've found that using Afterburner makes quite a difference compared to Trix for voltage overclocking.

With Trixx my memory was untouchable, even going 1 mhz over the 500 mhz base memory clock resulted in blue screens.

Although I don't run an overclock 24/7 I tried this with Afterburner recently and found my memory overclocks okay with that. I only say okay because I don't try and push to it's limit instead I simply tested up to 550 mhz and it was fine unlike with Trixx which resulted in instant blue screens. The core clock seems to run without artifacting at 1130 with voltage in Firestrike but something seemed wrong with the results which matched 4 month old 1040 clock results. I had all the usual settings up like power limit and temps were fine but I'm sure there was something wrong with how I was doing it, I just didn't know what and like I said I was only tinkering so I simply put it back to stock clocks to as it usually is.
I'm glad too see the memory isn't the lemon it appeared to be using Trixx.

My overall experience with the Sapphire Fury Tri-x has been excellent. Apart from a brief driver hitch when Crimson released the drivers have been faultless and the card itself is both silent and cool.
The only disappointment has been the overclocking but seeing as I am a stock clock user on a day to day basis the day to day experience is excellent.

Man of Honour
OP
I've found that using Afterburner makes quite a difference compared to Trix for voltage overclocking.

With Trixx my memory was untouchable, even going 1 mhz over the 500 mhz base memory clock resulted in blue screens.

Although I don't run an overclock 24/7 I tried this with Afterburner recently and found my memory overclocks okay with that. I only say okay because I don't try and push to it's limit instead I simply tested up to 550 mhz and it was fine unlike with Trixx which resulted in instant blue screens. The core clock seems to run without artifacting at 1130 with voltage in Firestrike but something seemed wrong with the results which matched 4 month old 1040 clock results. I had all the usual settings up like power limit and temps were fine but I'm sure there was something wrong with how I was doing it, I just didn't know what and like I said I was only tinkering so I simply put it back to stock clocks to as it usually is.
I'm glad too see the memory isn't the lemon it appeared to be using Trixx.

My overall experience with the Sapphire Fury Tri-x has been excellent. Apart from a brief driver hitch when Crimson released the drivers have been faultless and the card itself is both silent and cool.
The only disappointment has been the overclocking but seeing as I am a stock clock user on a day to day basis the day to day experience is excellent.

When benching use Heaven 4 or Valley as these show decent gains.

With Firestrike I think there must be a bug as even with a big overclock on the core (1190) there is no increase in performance.

Permabanned
When benching use Heaven 4 or Valley as these show decent gains.

With Firestrike I think there must be a bug as even with a big overclock on the core (1190) there is no increase in performance.

I'll try that next time thanks. That's the first time I've heard mention of a bug like that, It's good to hear it's not just me.

Soldato
When people are benching firestrike can they confirm that the gpu is running at the overclock speeds and not the default p-state of the fury bios. Can you show an osd screenprint of afterburner or gpuz?

Permabanned
When people are benching firestrike can they confirm that the gpu is running at the overclock speeds and not the default p-state of the fury bios. Can you show an osd screenprint of afterburner or gpuz?

GPUZ's sensors will show what speed the gpu was running at for the last minute or so, I didn't check it at the time but I'll look next time I try.

Soldato
GPUZ's sensors will show what speed the gpu was running at for the last minute or so, I didn't check it at the time but I'll look next time I try.

Ok would be interesting to know, I discovered with my powercolor 7950 that even with an overclock in trixx or afterburner, any 3dmark bench would ignore the overclock and run at my
Low state 3d boost of 800mhz.

Soldato
Is yours the Sapphire or Asus card? Mine's the Asus and it just doesn't take well to voltage increases in terms of heat.

Sapphire mate. Are you using a custom fan profile with AB? For some reason AB won't unlock voltage but Trixx will but the memory clock overclock doesn't work with Trixx but it does with AB.

If AB is running a custom fan profile its stable but otherwise it black screens. Very strange.

I only say okay because I don't try and push to it's limit instead I simply tested up to 550 mhz and it was fine unlike with Trixx which resulted in instant blue screens.

I don't get blue screens instead it breaks up into a kaleidoscope of colours and completely locks up if I set it even 1mhz over stock. I think its fair to say Trixx is broken with the Fury(s)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I run my Fury X cards at -0.048v in MSI Afterburner 15% fan speed, the lowest possible, they barely break 60c after extended gaming at 99% gpu usage. With a very small bump to the fan speed they don't break 50c. I use Powertune to control the fan speed, it's much better than using a custom curve as it uses the lowest fan speed possible to hold the target temperature you set.

Associate
Ok would be interesting to know, I discovered with my powercolor 7950 that even with an overclock in trixx or afterburner, any 3dmark bench would ignore the overclock and run at my
Low state 3d boost of 800mhz.

I've notices a similar think happen since updating to crimson drivers. Something to do with the video files used by the 3dmark ui and its locking the card clocks to the uvd speed. Removing the video files from the 3dmark folder soon fixed that.

Soldato
I've notices a similar think happen since updating to crimson drivers. Something to do with the video files used by the 3dmark ui and its locking the card clocks to the uvd speed. Removing the video files from the 3dmark folder soon fixed that.

Def some strange things happening here. I remember amd used to always have the 2d clock bug. Where if you had a youtube or iplayer browser on and then loaded a game with youtube or iplayer minimized the game would run without the gcard clocking up to 3d clocks.

Permabanned

Yet another reviewer who's incapable of keeping his numbers in order, There's game graphs where the 970 gaming extreme is ahead of not just the 980 but also the 980ti and another where the Titan Black is ahead of them all including the Titan X and I can't believe thats the case in games like Bio shock. It reminds me of that stupid PC World review(?) where they had the 970 mini itx outperforming the EVGA 980 SSC by a good 10 frames at times and outperforming the 390x in every game graph. We really need these so called reviewers to employ someone to double check there work.

Associate
It might be good for the card. They run nice and cool anyway, Actually it might be bad for the card pushing radiator heat in there.

@ Ajaxx

I'd be interested in hearing what the cards temps are like on the stock fan profile.

So from 2hrs of Aida 64 after the install to make sure all was fine.

CPU temps maxed out 70-72c ( idle 24-25c ) - Have the pump and fan down low about 1500rpm the whole time.

GPU temps maxed out 43-45c ( idle 23-25c ) - Have the fans set in afterburner to 1800rpm perm - still quiet.

Then later that day when my girlfriend was actually gaming on it in a warm room under normal loads

cpu didn't pass 57c
gpu didn't pass 45c

Games she played - GW2 and BDO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom