• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Gamers Guide To Mantle

Good news for Mantle Windows 7 continues to grow, 8.1 stalls. With DX12 most likely only being on Windows 9 and possibly 8.1, now is the time for Mantle to give existing Windows users a performance advantage and defuse any MS leverage via DX12.

Windows XP's demise is finally starting to accelerate, but Windows 7 and not 8 appears to be picking up the slack.

Yet both surveys show that Windows 8 has failed to launch, with its two versions failing to get to even half of Windows 7's market share.

MhanVOH.jpg

Source
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/04/windows_8_market_share_stalls_xp_at_record_low/

Why is 8 / 8.1 considered a separate OS in the terms of that survey?

They should be amalgamated really.

Yep, it's essentially a service pack, I don't see separate listings for the xp/Vista/7 service packs, interesting reading regardless, especially as imo 8.1 is far superior to 7, better performance, smoother interface, largely problem free, just unfortunately tarred from conception and has struggled to win doubters over that haven't even tried it. Vista suffered a similar fate, Vista especially in its later years was a fantastic operating system.

Cevat Yerli: Crytek is "absolutely" safe

Crytek was never in danger of going out of business, Yerli maintains, and he has high hopes for the future.

"Surely it will to some degree," he replied, when asked if the last few months have damaged Crytek's reputation. "But I hope through communication we will have more frequently people and gamers will understand through our words and actions we have the best interests of PC gamers. At Gamescom we will show off our games. With online services we will be equipped to better react than ever before to communities and gamer demands. That's ultimately what we want to build - the best experiences driven by the community.

"That transformation was painful. We paid the price. Now we come out of it much stronger. I hope people will see through our games these are not just empty words."

Sources
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-08-the-transformation-was-painful-we-paid-the-price
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-08-08-cevat-yerli-crytek-is-absolutely-safe

Yep, it's essentially a service pack, I don't see separate listings for the xp/Vista/7 service packs, interesting reading regardless, especially as imo 8.1 is far superior to 7, better performance, smoother interface, largely problem free, just unfortunately tarred from conception and has struggled to win doubters over that haven't even tried it. Vista suffered a similar fate, Vista especially in its later years was a fantastic operating system.

Trouble with Win 8/8.1 is that you can't try it without buying it (unless you know someone with it that's will to let you try it, which not all of us do) and it's a lot of money to spend on something you may or may not like.
As you say I think it just struggled to shake off all the criticism it got early on.
For me it was the Metro interface that put me off.

And at this point it doesn't seem worth getting Win8 now, I'm gonna try to wait for Win9. Maybe others are the same.

Slightly OT but, I tried to run Thief in "Mantle" mode last night on my new XFX290.

Forgot to screenshot, but basically it artifacted horribly, leaving the ghost of each frame drawn on the screen indefinitely, left the image all garbled and totally unplayable, I'm running the latest AMD drivers (14.7 i think), and windows 7 x64.

Switching back to DX mode and it was fine... :confused:

Anyone know what could be causing it, searching on google / OcUK was fruitless...

Artifacts,well I have yet to see them in Mantle.Couple things you could try.
1.Go to C:\Users\your name\Documents\Thief-delete all Mantle related items.If that does not work see #2
2.Uninstall/Re-install drivers -you can do it from control panel or use thrird party software like Display Driver Uninstaller

Mantle recorded with 14.7 drivers
http://mfi.re/watch/lut0qameebn6536/bandicam_2014-08-08_10-03-43-134.avi

Yep and for a good while offered the upgrade from 7 for around £25, if you shop about you can still find the upgrades for around £40 :)

Hopefully Windows 9 gets the same upgrade program.

I got mine at release for £15 :D student me :p I love Windows 8.1 and really hope MS think about people who do like it before making rash changes again to Windows 9.

Least give us the freedom how we would like the Start.

Yep and for a good while offered the upgrade from 7 for around £25, if you shop about you can still find the upgrades for around £40 :)

Hopefully Windows 9 gets the same upgrade program.

Did realise they did a 90 day offer. So what happens after the 90 days? Does my system revert back to how it was with the Win7 install prior to Win8?
The issue with the cheap upgrades was that it was before 8.1 when it was in the state that gave it the bad rep in the first place!
Also, not really a fan of upgrades, prefer to buy the full version (as I can then re-use the full version of Win7).

Lol. Still lower than XP. #Fail

Still, it's now at about 25% of the Win7 figures.
Have to admit I'm impressed with MacOS (and Linux) getting the figures it did in a graph labelled "Windows OSs"...

Back
Top Bottom