• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Gamers Guide To Mantle

Good read, and it certainly puts nvidia under pressure to get more proactive about the gaming industry lest they be branded the EA of the gpu world.

it is all good information and nice to find out mantle developments.

How about excluding all nvidia thoughts from this though, otherwise it will be another thread that turns into 15 pages of trash.

I'm sure you would like that ltmatt, but some of us want to read threads with useful information rather than constant trollbait because of someone buying a different brand of video card.

it is all good information and nice to find out mantle developments.

How about excluding all nvidia thoughts from this though, otherwise it will be another thread that turns into 15 pages of trash.

I had no such intent. I own cards from both manufacturers, and was simply speculating as to what would happen next. As it is, I expect they will wait for dx12 so they don't lose face.

Regardless, I've always been a supporter of mantle and what it represents. I can think of many a game that could run better if the api didn't prevent my cpu from feeding my hungry gpus fast enough.

Reading between the lines here, it sounds like dx12 is going to make mantle obsolete, since it incorporates the main concept of reducing api overheads while offering universal compatibility. Certainly there are benefits to learning to write code without being held back by a cumbersome api, but I'd be surprised if we saw mantle adoption continue as predicted in the slide, given that waiting a bit longer would allow studios to just move to dx12.

Sniper Elite III has mantle? I'll look more into that; looking at cd keys now to get plants vs zombies.....might have to pick up a couple keys; one for my boy he keeps asking for a steam account. He's 7; he's hacked my steam account a few times to play my games LOL.

Great info - I've noticed some great boosts on my 7870 TX - I am very tempted to pick up 290 soon....along with some steam streaming tempted to build an AM1 micro box for TV....:)

Sniper Elite III has mantle? I'll look more into that; looking at cd keys now to get plants vs zombies.....might have to pick up a couple keys; one for my boy he keeps asking for a steam account. He's 7; he's hacked my steam account a few times to play my games LOL.

Great info - I've noticed some great boosts on my 7870 TX - I am very tempted to pick up 290 soon....along with some steam streaming tempted to build an AM1 micro box for TV....:)

you have a clever son :D

Mantle API Can be Ported to Microsoft’s DirectX 12 Easily

AMD said:
Above all, Mantle will present developers with a powerful shortcut to DirectX® 12, as the lingual similarities between APIs will make it easy to port a Mantle-based render backend to a DirectX® 12-based one if needed or desired. In addition, Mantle developers that made the bold decision to support our historic API will be well-educated on the design principles DirectX® 12 also promises to leverage
Holy cow. AMD has basically negated any and every reason to not use Mantle API. There is now no apparent reason for developers to refrain from using Mantle API. Since we have a long drought till the time DX12 releases for good, and even longer before it’s properly utilized, Mantle API is the ideal solution. And because any render can be ported with very little effort to DX12, developers need not fear having to choose sides. Not only does AMD’s API make multiple backends (DX12 and Mantle) very easy, but you can simply port it if you are aiming for a single render backend. Since AMD is one of the major interests in the DX12 consortium, they do not want to do anything to jeopardize DirectX 12; but at the same time, they want to utilize the headstart their homemade API has and this is the perfect answer. If Mantle API can be ported to DirectX 12 without any major hassle, than that basically means that AMD is giving devs an opportunity to make a low-level optimized game with future-proofed icing on the cake.

Source
http://wccftech.com/mantle-api-ported-directx-12-amd-white-paper/#ixzz33EpAS07h

Mantle API Can be Ported to Microsoft’s DirectX 12 Easily

Source
http://wccftech.com/mantle-api-ported-directx-12-amd-white-paper/#ixzz33EpAS07h

Holy cow. AMD has basically negated any and every reason to not use Mantle API. There is now no apparent reason for developers to refrain from using Mantle API. Since we have a long drought till the time DX12 releases for good, and even longer before it’s properly utilized, Mantle API is the ideal solution. And because any render can be ported with very little effort to DX12, developers need not fear having to choose sides. Not only does AMD’s API make multiple backends (DX12 and Mantle) very easy, but you can simply port it if you are aiming for a single render backend. Since AMD is one of the major interests in the DX12 consortium, they do not want to do anything to jeopardize DirectX 12; but at the same time, they want to utilize the headstart their homemade API has and this is the perfect answer. If Mantle API can be ported to DirectX 12 without any major hassle, than that basically means that AMD is giving devs an opportunity to make a low-level optimized game with future-proofed icing on the cake.

Fantastic :)

Back
Top Bottom