The GPU Folding Thread... X1900 owners in here.

Soldato
As most of you probably know, stanford have been working on a gpu client and its due to be released today, afternoon pacific time which is 8 hours behind gmt, so sometime this evening, around 8.

There has been lengthy discussion of the gpu client in the team news, however now that the client is about to be released we need a thread where everything gpu related can be collated and discussed and those with X1900 series cards can compare results.
I'll also be writing a quick guide to folding on your gpu, and as i don't yet have an x1900 series card i'll need help from people who have an X1900 series card and can experiment with the client.
We can also try and answer all the questions we have about the client.

Download it here.

What we know so far:

-You need one of the following graphics cards:
Radeon X1900 GT
Radeon X1900 XT
Radeon X1900 XTX
Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition
Radeon X1950 XTX
Radeon X1950 CrossFire Edition

-Support for X1800 series and older has been withdrawn, but may be added in future.

-You need the ATI Catalyst 6.10 driver.

-Folding on an X1900 series gpu gives 20 - 40x speed increased over a cpu.

-Points will be adjusted to reflect the massive speed gains of running on a gpu, however i believe points will still be better than running on a cpu. Points may be raised later is stanford feel tis required.

-Making the gpu client required a lot of developement, and as curren ati cards are better for folding a client for nvidia cards won't be available, but may be produced in future.

-The client is currently in beta, however although it has bugs it does work.

-There is a new core based on gromacs for gpus only.

-Folding only draws around 80w from each gpu, so its not as massively power hungry as it could be.

-The client will come in both graphical and command line versions.

-The gui client will be released sometime after the console client.

-An official faq and howto will be released with the client.

-The affect that this has on both users and teams will be very varied, with some teams having far more users with X1900 series than others.

-Gpu temperature when running folding is cool relative to the high temperature gpus are able to run at.

What we don't know, which we intend to answer in this thread:

-What effect does the ram on the graphics card have compared to speed i.e is it better to get a slower card with more ram or a faster card with less.
?

-Can you fold on multiple gpus?
Rumour has it than you will be able to, in the same way that you can with the cpu client, however this is unconfirmed.
Edit: The pc perspective article, says dual gpu support coming soon, the slides in the article are presumable from the stream computing conference.
?

-Can you adjust gpu utilisation?
?

-How is it affected by pci-e bandwidth? i.e could you run it from a card in a 4x pci-e slot with no slowdowns or does it require a 16x slot to work at full speed? If it can be run from a 4x or even a 1x or 2x slot this allows for many users to have a 3rd or even 4th card.
?

-What is the affect of folding long term on the lifetime of the card and the cooling system?
?

-What are the avantages and disadvantages of the gui client over the console client?
?

-Will it work with fahmon?
Yes

-Will the client automatically give up resources when required i.e. gaming etc?
?

Bugs:
A few, minor, read thread for detail.

Links:

Ati catalyst driver 6.10 beta.

The folding at home client download page
(currently the download links for the gpu clients point to the old 5.02 cpu client)

Ocuk X1950 series page.

Ocuk X1900 series page.

Ocuk this week only page featuring one X1950 XTX and one X1900 XT

Stanford folding at home news.

Folding@Home Petaflop Initiative (FPI)

Folding@Home on ATI GPU's official FAQ

Folding@Home high performance client FAQ (with some gpu info)

Ati stream computing press release (including the official announcement of folding on gpu)

Anandtech: The GPU Advances: ATI's Stream Processing & Folding@Home

Pc perspective have a nice article on gpu folding here.

I intend to incorporate most of this into the quick guide to gpu folding which i've started and can be found here.

Questions to you:

Any suggestions for things we know, and is there anything else you want me to add to the above list of things we want to know?

Who has an X1900 series card, and which of you will be able to report back when the client is released to answer some of these questions above?

Who intends to buy an X1900 series card as soon as the client has been tested, or as soon as you know which card is best value for folding?

Personaly i can't wait to see what this client will be like, its been a long wait for anything exciting to happen with folding developement but this is definately interesting.
As you may have noticed, our team output is already at the highest level it ever been, thanks to the dedication of team members, and this gpu client can only make things better. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I intend to keep the quick guide as small and 'quick' as possible, so once things have settled down a bit if you could do a full guide covering everything i think that would be great.

Edit: What other monitoring programs are there apart from fahmon? I've added fahmon to the list of questions... does that electron microscope program or whatever it is use the same method of using the unitinfo file?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have an X1900XT on my gaming rig back home and one ordered from the MM which will arrive when I get back at the weekend.

I will set up the client on two rigs when I get back and see how it goes.

Anybody setting it up in the meantime, please share your experiences with us.

Another thing for the need to know list.
Will the client automatically give up resources when required i.e. gaming etc.

Stan :)

Soldato
OP
Bigstan said:
Another thing for the need to know list.
Will the client automatically give up resources when required i.e. gaming etc.
Added :)

That link to anandtech has an extra http at the front so it doesn't work. I've added a working link to the links section of my first post.
Edit: Beaten ;)

Interestingly enough we will be stomping team Anandtech in 1055 Days. :p

Last edited:
Associate
Joe42 said:
Who intends to buy an X1900 series card as soon as the client has been tested, or as soon as you know which card is best value for folding?

*Raises Hand* :D

I am slowly building a new rig for gaming. I have an E6600 ready and waiting and will be buying either one ATI X1900 series or two if Fah can run on two.

Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
I imagine that Crossfire wouldn't help but I bet it would be able to run 2 separate WUs on 2 separate GPUs. DS4 maybe?

/pure speculation

Thats what I was implying. Buying a second X1900 series. And yes I was considering the DS4. Should be a good clocker for the E6600 too. Will hopefully get at least 3Ghz stable.

Purely out of interest what did you think I meant? Running one WU accross two cards using Crossfire? Interesting idea ;) Not much point though GPU's are so much faster anyway.

I wouldn't even need to buy a master edition if I just wanted two cards for folding would I?

Seeing as it will be a games machine as well, and the master edition is only £12 more I might as well have Crossfire though.

Soldato
X1900XT here. I will be here all evening so as soon as I have the drivers and the client installed I will start running some experiments and see how many of the unanswered questions I can shed light on.

Might also want to add a section about known bugs, or a link to any such section on stanfords page if they have one. Just a thought.

Looking forward to increasing my output :D Hold onto your garlic Mr FF. The English [me] are coming!

SiriusB

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I will be going crossfire in my main (Conroe) gaming rig eventually but I'll wait until crossfire is supported by F@H. The second X1900 on order will go in my secondary (upstairs) gaming rig (4000+ SD @ 3.1GHz).

Stan :)

Soldato
lay-z-boy said:
Ok, i have a question, do i add a 3rd folder?

I have 1 for each core of my x2 do i need 3rd for this client or does it replace old clients?
arh.... confuzeling...:confused:
I would imagine you add a 3rd folder - there will be a full FAQ and HowTo guide being put up on the main folding website though incase there's anything specific

Back
Top Bottom