The Grand Tour

Soldato
Didn't enjoy this weeks as much but that was down to not knowing who either of them were.

Same. I generally don't mind who they are, but they didn't seem that interesting and a couple of OAP's driving round isn't all that exciting to me either :) I don't know how the really old guy got a reasonable time, he took some terrible lines. It does make you wonder....

Soldato
Nick Mason has competed in historical racing for years, so it can't be much of a surprise when he sticks in a quick lap. I've noticed on a few occasions that they're using or re-using clips in videos that don't really fit, and that was probably the case with his lap.

Man of Honour
Nick Mason has competed in historical racing for years, so it can't be much of a surprise when he sticks in a quick lap. I've noticed on a few occasions that they're using or re-using clips in videos that don't really fit, and that was probably the case with his lap.

Often been the case for TG and GT - cutting in the footage that looks best (obviously sometimes there are reasons to use out of sequence/different runs for internal and external shots, etc.) but often it kind of cheapens it when you notice - for instance some of the coverage of laps of Nordschleife where completely out of sequence or even opposite direction bits are stitched together as if in a continuous section grate when you notice.

One of the specials annoyed me as a supposedly ~700 mile road trip was blatantly shot using multiple angles of the same couple of miles of motorways leading out from the starting location and someone's farm and stretched out to look like it was crossing the whole country heh (then they probably transported the whole lot by plane or whatever for the ending).

Last edited:
Soldato
Fairly sure they have said in the past with the 'race' trips and the other fast road trips is that they have to do the actual trip and then go back and get the exterior shots after otherwise it doesn't really work.

It takes such a long time to get those shots, especially for quality required for a TV production. It's probably not even them driving for lots of them where they can get away with it.

Soldato
No doubt to get round the ruling that they can't have a 'mute' driver like the Stig anymore and everyone didn't like the American who spoke too much. I think it works plus she's properly quick and a good driver.

Man of Honour
Why does the girl who does the fastest laps say the same thing every time she starts?!?
Is it though? Pretty sure it's just generic psych phrases.

As above anyway, it's the contract about not having a silent driver. Since she doesn't talk during the run, she has to say something at the start.

By the way, do people really hate the Civic R or is that just the Grand Tour meme of the week? I think they look lovely.

Soldato
Hondas have always been expensive, you get what you pay for mechanically (except McLaren). But not many people want to drive around in a car that looks like that.

It does look better than the previous one I think, which was just wrong looking. But it needs cleaner styling all over.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom