The Great Big FFP Debate

Manchester United have reported a net loss of £113.2m in the year to 30 June, their latest accounts show.

It follows losses of £28.7m in 2022-23 and £115.5m in 2021-22, and their latest figures take total losses over the past five years to over £370m.

Despite the results, United are not expected to breach the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules because not all spending goes against their calculations and clubs can claim allowances known as 'add backs'.

From the beeb. Not expected? Either they are or they aren’t surely? Just goes to show how much they make it up as they go along.

Don’t most clubs make losses… Is it because it’s United that it even warrants an article?
Jesus you lot have a giant chip on your shoulders.

Its an aricle because other clubs that make the losses you have over a 3 season period have all been docked points, I expect you will weasel out of any points deduction due to some shenanigans to do with ineos buying a 25% stake. But you'll probably be ****** once this seasons figures are in, especially with no cl money

Jesus you lot have a giant chip on your shoulders.

Its an aricle because other clubs that make the losses you have over a 3 season period have all been docked points, I expect you will weasel out of any points deduction due to some shenanigans to do with ineos buying a 25% stake. But you'll probably be ****** once this seasons figures are in, especially with no cl money
Not really, it’s the same as saying you have a massive hard on for anything United-related so you can **** on us.

I was just commenting on it being strange there’s not many articles relating to other clubs who have similar debts relative to the size of their clubs? Or maybe I’m missing something?

I was just commenting on it being strange there’s not many articles relating to other clubs who have similar debts relative to the size of their clubs? Or maybe I’m missing something?
Probably because the clubs in similar positions have either been docked points or had to sell players, like Aston Villa. Maybe you should try reading non man utd related football news every once in a while.

Or you know, this thread :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Probably because the clubs in similar positions have either been docked points or had to sell players, like Aston Villa. Maybe you should try reading non man utd related football news every once in a while
I do, I suggest you take your own advice and do the same with the amount you focus on us.

Last edited:
Clearly you don't as this is only 'news' becuase its yernited apparently :rolleyes:
I don’t see almost daily articles about other clubs finances on the BBC. No. Do you? That’s what I’m getting at. I get that we have a big fan base and they have to serve that attention, but I find it gets tedious as a United fan, let alone if I was a Liverpool fan.

And then to have your constant needling of anything United too on here. That’s what I’m commenting on.

I don’t see almost daily articles about other clubs finances on the BBC. No. Do you? That’s what I’m getting at. I get that we have a big fan base and they have to serve that attention, but I find it gets tedious as a United fan, let alone if I was a Liverpool fan.
There's tweets almost daily about Chelsea skirting the psr line - the only other 'big' club to be in a similar position - along with articles galore about man city. I'm sure if Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs were in a similar position there would be an article or 2 popping up about them.

And then to have your constant needling of anything United too on here. That’s what I’m commenting on.
Maybe think before you drop an utterly ridiculous take such as its only because we're man utd that this is a story. It's nonsense, any club that's skirting the psr line is going to have tweets and articles written about them.

Maybe think before you drop an utterly ridiculous take such as it’s only because we're man utd that this is a story. It's nonsense, any club that's skirting the psr line is going to have tweets and articles written about them.
And maybe you should think before you dig the knife in for the umpteenth time about a club you seemingly have an irrational hate for.

I’m allowed an opinion, whether it’s right or wrong. I’ve shown that I’m more than happy to be corrected on it by people who don’t take pleasure in trying to make people feel small or stupid.

Anyway, apologies to anyone else. Clearly derailing the thread way too much now.

Last edited:
Don’t most clubs make losses… Is it because it’s United that it even warrants an article?

Relatively recent article:

Club losses
Good that. I don't know how I missed it back in April. Way better measure of how a team is under or over performing than XG :D .

In terms of PSR that last graph is the more telling one for me and imo what PSR doesn't pick up and that is how much debt a club is carrying. Lets not forget how much more that debt is now costing clubs given recent rate spikes worldwide. 3.6bn in total debt yet 3 clubs are responsible for almost half of it and are never in the conversation when talking about breaching rules (apart from today on this page). From the top 5 clubs with the least debt, two have recently hit the hallowed ground of Champs league qualification yet had to make mad last minute sales at the end of June to avoid possible sanctions. Daft.

Didn’t United sell McSauce to help with PSR?

If they did, it'll only help with next season - the losses being talked about now are up to June 2024 and he was sold in August.

Not expected? Either they are or they aren’t surely? Just goes to show how much they make it up as they go along.

PSR is a different set of accounting to general accounts, there are allowable losses, things exempted, some figures you can add back in etc. so they may not have lost more than £105m in PSR terms over three seasons. The fact their overall three year loss is over £250m though, would suggest (like Everton) there's a chance the PSR calcs will end up showing over £105m loss. If for example, their £250m loss was due to spending £200m on the women's team, they'd be fine.

I think it's December that the Premier League will publicise any suspected breaches, after the figures have been reviewed.

Last edited:
PSR is a different set of accounting to general accounts, there are allowable losses, things exempted, some figures you can add back in etc. so they may not have lost more than £105m in PSR terms over three seasons. The fact their overall three year loss is over £250m though, would suggest (like Everton) there's a chance the PSR calcs will end up showing over £105m loss. If for example, their £250m loss was due to spending £200m on the women's team, they'd be fine.

Yeah, given that the allowable expenses are things like Infrastructure/Womens football which we've generally neglected i struggle to believe there's £150m in there so be curious to see how they've fudged it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom