Poll: The Great OcUK Distro/Derivative Poll V - Get it while it's hot

What are your favourite distributions or UNIX derivatives?

• Debian

Votes: 74 10.6%
  • Fedora

Votes: 97 13.9%
  • Gentoo

Votes: 60 8.6%
  • Knoppix

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • Mandriva

Votes: 22 3.2%
  • Ubuntu

Votes: 449 64.3%
  • Red Hat (except Fedora)

Votes: 27 3.9%
  • Slackware

Votes: 36 5.2%
  • SuSE

Votes: 85 12.2%
  • BSD Unix and derivatives

Votes: 22 3.2%
  • Mac OS X (Darwin)

Votes: 97 13.9%
  • CentOS

Votes: 42 6.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 46 6.6%

• Total voters
Associate
I haven't had linux on my desktop for a while, and when I did have it before I used Suse. This time I've gone for Ubuntu and I'm very impressed. I haven't had any problems at all, and the amount of information/help available is outstanding. :D

Associate
BSD and Debian for servers

Ubunutu for the desktop

I have had Fedore on my laptop for a while now, whilst it seems ok it took a while to config everything compared to Ubuntu. I'm just too lazy to put Ubuntu back on it :p

Associate
I voted other, because at the moment I am running Linux Mint, and I would recommend it to anyone starting out in Linux.
It is a derivative of Ubuntu so you have access to all there repositories, all the sound and video codecs are included in the install, it automatically reads and writes to Windows partitions and Beryl is included in the install as well.

Soldato
Other. Arch Linux.

I love the installer. When you boot the install CD, it starts.... nothing. You start at a bash prompt and type a command to start the installer.

This allowed me to easily set up a fully encrypted filesystem on a blank hard drive before installation.

Associate
eXor said:
Other. Arch Linux.

I love the installer. When you boot the install CD, it starts.... nothing. You start at a bash prompt and type a command to start the installer.

This allowed me to easily set up a fully encrypted filesystem on a blank hard drive before installation.

Slackware does that as well. I love it as it's so vanilla, no nasty overengineering. (Yup, I'm running version 12.0)

Associate
Good job it was multiple choice hehe. I've used a lot of distros and they all have their pro's and con's atm I'm running Debian AMD64, Yoper (you really ought to give this one a try) Slackware, Gentoo,Arch and Several of the BSD variants (FreeBSD,NetBSD,OpenBSD,DragonflyBSD) I'll be trying out Solaris when I get around to it also.This is the thing with Linux/Unix etc their all pretty much free so why not try them out.

Soldato
I used linux for 10 years prior to moving over to BSD ( 4.4BSD variants, FreeBSD, NetBSD etc) some 5 years ago.
Linux is actually a bit of a mess to be honest, but commercial support is getting stronger all the time.

If I had to go with a linux distro it would be Gentoo or Archlinx. For some reason I hate Ubuntu and it's hundreds of variants, 'Muslim and Christian Ubuntu' I mean come on ffs.

Associate
^ I haven't properly used Linux in a few months now because of not really having the space for a desktop machine at the moment (Macbook is a decent alternative for now ;)) but I'm curious as to how you think Linux is a bit of a mess - I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I think some distros have there own ways of doing certain things which can be a bit confusing I suppose :)

Soldato
Hi,

I was referring to the way Linux is hacked or grown rather than engineered per se.Rather than just regurgitate things, you can find a lot of info on this site.

http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

To be honest though, the transistion from WIndows to Linux is lot easier than say from Windows to Unix/BSD. Thats unless you head for OSX, which is actually UNIX based. As mentioned before, commercially it seems Linux is the way to go, unless GPL3 messes things up.

Last edited:
Associate
^^ great idea.... That one has been there for nearly a year.

How about WM / DE of choice?

a) kde
b) gnome
c) xfce
d) fluxbox
e) e
f) fvwm
g) amiwm
h) windowmaker
i) I don't need a window manager
j) other

or something like that?

Or maybe a poll for the next poll?! ;)

Soldato
I like the idea of a WM poll too, it'd be interesting to see how many people use each of the main competitors.

Think it'd only have to be 5 options though, else there'd be lots of singular votes for things:
  • Gnome
  • KDE
  • XFCE
  • Other
  • None

Back
Top Bottom