1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Great Thermal Interface Material Con

Discussion in 'OC Archive' started by Jokester, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Jokester

Don

When I took it off this morning it had went a silvery brown colour and for a moment I thought it was the AS5. It was only the minty fresh smell that let me identify it as toothpaste :p .

Jokester

2. wizardmaxx

Wise Guy

Yeah being water based it would dry out like pretty quick. Iwonder if it would burn at all. Coming back to the copperslip suggestion. Would it work, or do you think its too soft and would melt. Its meant to work at high temps though.

3. Joe42

Mobster

Fascinating. :)

This is a big issue with both toothpaste and cheap thermal paste, it will dry out and will get worse over time, eventually it will dry solid and act as an insulator, partiularly the toothpaste.

I'm supprised the no paste temps weren't a bit lower.
    Perhaps with as5 you could try applying a blob in the middle as arctic silver suggest with spreading evenly, see if there is any difference. You could also expreiment with cleaning methods, does it make a difference if you clean it with really well with alcohol or just rub the thick off with a tissue...

4. Pulseammo

Wise Guy

Can we have a piece of bacon tested between the cpu and heatsink please? :p.

5. Gibbo

Commissario

Hi there

Nice thread!!

Arctic Silver 5 is easily the best compound out there as it last too. Plus it can be use under all type of cooling methods like air, H20 and phase. Those who skimp on compound in my view is like putting cheap oil into your cars engine.

As proven here a decent compound like Arctic Silver 5 can improve your temps by upto 10c and a cooler CPU means that is less likely to throttle down and will obviously have a longer lifespan too. :)

6. Messiah Khan

Capodecina

That remidnds me of a question ive been meaning to ask. What is the best Thermal paste to use under phase? Ive noticed a lot of people over at XS seen to use Artic Ceramique rather than AS5.. any reason for this? Does AS5 stand up to -50 degrees?

7. Mitch007

Wise Guy

way way too thick, would not allow metal to metal contact on high points of mating surface! :D

8. silentphoenix

Gangster

I always thought Arctic Ceramique was recommended for phase because it has lower operating temps than AS5... just my 2 pence.

9. Jokester

Don

In my experience Ceramique pulls ahead of AS5 when used subzero by a degree or two.

Jokester

10. img

Hitman

forget the AS5 whats the difference between colegate and generic toothpaste?

11. Doctor.Bob

Hitman

Have you tried cleaning your teeth with AS5?

12. Roll

Mobster

[​IMG]

Personally I've always used Aquafresh. Tastes better and leaves my CPUs needing fewer fillings :D

Seriously, this is a great thread with some very interesting results. Well done.

13. fish99

Soldato

It's probably worth pointing out that AS5 needs to 'burn-in' for a few weeks and go through several full cold-hot-cold cycles, to be at it's best.

TBH I've only ever bought one tube of AS5, it only cost a fiver and it's still nearly full so I don't consider it expensive. I spend a lot more per year on toothpaste :)

14. -Ad-

Capodecina

Using coollaboratory liquid metal stuff on my tuniq, and it's doing a stellar job. When i did a trial install with the stock stuff that came with the tuniq, it was about 10 degrees higher :eek:

15. VaderDSL

Capodecina

We could also do some comparisons between water additives for the watercoolers out there.

I'm thinking Listerine would be a good additive, will keep the loop fresh and bacteria free :D

16. Noto

Wise Guy

FLAWED I TELL THEE!

the anti-bacterial agent in Colgate was clearly working overtime fighting those nasty bacteria in the air thus making the temperatures higher than normal.

Please re-try with a cool-breeze type toothpaste.

17. Jokester

Don

Just had this drop through the letter box:-

[​IMG]

Jokester

18. -Ad-

Capodecina

Lol that's the badger. Just don't try to inject it in yourself as it will probably kill you :eek:

For applying it i recommend edjecting a small blob onto the IHS then taking a small plastic bag (used for food storage etc) putting over your hand, and applying soft pressure to the blob and pulling it outwards.

I tried using a cotton bud and stanley blade, but all these did was move the blob about a bitl. it has a similar consistency and behaviour to mercury. But the plastic bag method worked brilliantly, producing a shiny thin layer.

hope that helps :D

19. Jokester

Don

Just took the top off and it really is a needle :eek: .

Jokester

20. Madwelsh

Hitman

that's a standard insulin syringe, used by diabetics and junkies all over.. lol @ you with colgate.. nice thread :D