Poll: The Greatest? Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo

Who is Better

• Messi

Votes: 52 36.1%
  • Ronaldo

Votes: 92 63.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
It really does. There were 54 countries at Euro 2020?

no there were 24

but there are 54 teams that can take part if qualify

compare that to 11 teams in copa america

its like comparing the amount of teams that could win the scottish cup compared to the amount that could win the fa cup

no one in right mind is going to rank a copa america win above an euro win

Soldato
no there were 24

but there are 54 teams that can take part if qualify

compare that to 11 teams in copa america

its like comparing the amount of teams that could win the scottish cup compared to the amount that could win the fa cup

no one in right mind is going to rank a copa america win above an euro win

Quantity over quality. There’s some absolute dross in the euros lol. Bloody Greece won it not that long ago.

Who even cares. The fact is you like others said Messi hasn’t done it internationally when that’s nonsense because he has. If I remember rightly Portugal didn’t win a game in 90 till wales in the semis finishing third in their group behind Hungary and Iceland. So much quality.

Edit.

That FA Cup comment is wild. In theory Brighouse Town could win it…they won’t though. More teams can win the FA cup then the Champions League so that’s more valuable?

Soldato
Just watched the MNF debate, that show has really gone down hill...

Anyway, I find it funny that Ronaldo is seen as this much greater goal scorer when he's only scored 4 more goals but played well over a 100 games more. Then there is nothing about the over all contribution to the game i.e Messi have almost 100 more assist. A few hundred less shots but almost an equal goal tally. 2x as many passes, 10 x as many through balls, 3 x as many dribbles attempted as well as successful, gone past 4x as many players etc some of that stats people note down are mental like more ball carries, more distance ran with the ball towards opponents, more progressive distance etc etc

He's just involved more in the game, running the show if you will. Yet still putting up insane numbers in front of goal that you'd expect someone who just hangs around the box to get. That wasn't a dig at Ronaldo as he's bloody amazing as well just not near Messi.

The stats that sky put up, like classing the nations league as a major int trophy but not copa america? Messi also has 4 CLs. For a while Messi was getting hammered for not winning an int trophy yet lauded Ronaldo who didn't really turn up in that tournament they won although he was injured whereas Messi has been quite unlucky on that stage Higuin being completely useless and losing 3(?) CA on pens and a WC final missing key players. Swings and roundabouts at least he finally got his hands on one after all that.

Then there is the debate about ronaldo doing it in multiple leagues, as if Messi wouldn't score a bunch of goals for one of if not the best side in Seria A or the PL. Although I am disappointed that Messi has taken the easy route and is going to stat pad in France, pointless going there. Ronaldo has challenge himself going to Utd who aren't anywhere near winning the league.

Man of Honour
OP
That said, Messi every day of the week. He has blown my mind on so many occasions. Ronaldo impresses me in the way Djokovic does in tennis whereas Messi is like Federer. Just poetry in motion when he was at his peak.

Good analogy, I've often thought the same.

I'm not sure anyone can genuinely say either player is loads better than the other. I think there's the usual football bias at play there.

Associate
Ronaldo easily

Done it in english/spanish/italian leagues

Broke just about every record going aswell

Yep, Messi is the boxer who stays at Cruiserweight his whole career, while Ronaldo wins all the titles at multiple weights ;)

Quantity over quality. There’s some absolute dross in the euros lol. Bloody Greece won it not that long ago.

Yeah when much like Copa America it had less teams :p

Greece won it with 16 teams, Denmark won it when 8 played. What's the qualification groups like to even play at the copa america?

Ronaldo for me, tested himself in a lot more variety of leagues and still did it.

Soldato
Yep, Messi is the boxer who stays at Cruiserweight his whole career, while Ronaldo wins all the titles at multiple weights ;)

Yeah when much like Copa America it had less teams :p

Greece won it with 16 teams, Denmark won it when 8 played. What's the qualification groups like to even play at the copa america?

Ronaldo for me, tested himself in a lot more variety of leagues and still did it.

I would also go for Ronaldo but the idea that we discount the copa america based on the amount of team able to play in it is just laughable.

Don
I'm not sure anyone can genuinely say either player is loads better than the other.
Yea you can :p In terms of scoring goals there's little between them but when you look beyond that, Messi is on a different level. The only area that Ronaldo contributes more than Messi is defending set-plays.

Soldato
Yea you can :p In terms of scoring goals there's little between them but when you look beyond that, Messi is on a different level. The only area that Ronaldo contributes more than Messi is defending set-plays.
Ronaldo also contributes far more from scoring corners and headers.

As an out an out athlete CR7 is far better. His physical presence, pace, power, athleticism is leaps and bounds better then Messi.

Messi is a better technical footballer/dribbler and potentially a better footballing brain.

Don
Ronaldo also contributes far more from scoring corners and headers.
I was waiting for somebody to reply with that.......Messi's taking the set-play ;) In terms of contributing to attacking set-plays, albeit differently, Messi contributes just as much.

As for being a better athlete, so what? Similarly to Neville's weird the right foot, left food, header arguement, all that matters is the end result not how they get there. Ronaldo is physically stronger and quicker but Messi still scores at a better rate than he does, Messi still creates goals and attacks and contributes to the team as a whole more than Ronaldo does.

Caporegime
In the end we'll never know, could Messi have achieved as much in 3 different leagues? We won't know because he stayed at one club and then moved to a farmer's league.

Soldato
I was waiting for somebody to reply with that.......Messi's taking the set-play ;) In terms of contributing to attacking set-plays, albeit differently, Messi contributes just as much.

As for being a better athlete, so what? Similarly to Neville's weird the right foot, left food, header arguement, all that matters is the end result not how they get there. Ronaldo is physically stronger and quicker but Messi still scores at a better rate than he does, Messi still creates goals and attacks and contributes to the team as a whole more than Ronaldo does.
Other argument is Ronaldo has done it for multiple teams in multiple leagues. Messi has had the better team behind him over the years in assisting his plays.

Let's not get it twisted both arguably the best ever, but even if Messi didn't take setplays you can't think he'd score many headers.

And how can you say as for the better athlete so what? That's like saying he scores goals so what, it's one of the most important attributes any footballer can have.

Caporegime
I've always felt Messi is the technically more gifted player, so have gone with Messi.

That being said IMO going to PSG is a joke of a move, credit to Ronaldo for actually challenging himself going to a team that won't **** the league.

Don
Other argument is Ronaldo has done it for multiple teams in multiple leagues. Messi has had the better team behind him over the years in assisting his plays.

Let's not get it twisted both arguably the best ever, but even if Messi didn't take setplays you can't think he'd score many headers.
Yea, I don't really get this multiple Leagues argument either. Had Messi joined Shamrock Rovers and scored 50 goals he'd have been a better player than he is now? Now obviously that's an exaggerated point but Ronaldo left Real to join an inferior League that was dominated by 1 side. How does that enhance him as a player? And yea, Messi had a great team around him but so did Ronaldo - on paper at least the Real side he played in was arguably the strongest and most balanced side in my living memory.

And of course Messi wouldn't score many headers but again, so what? The only thing that matters is how many goals and assists these players are contributing. I'd take a player scoring 10 goals with his backside over a player that scores 1 with his head, 1 with his right foot, 1 with his left and 1 with his knee.

Caporegime
Dont forget CR7 was the first EPL player to score over 30 goals in 1 season for a decade, (previous was Shearer in 95/96.

The only 2 who have done it in the 13 years since are Suarez and Salah and Salah did it in 3 extra games than CR7 played in during that season.

CR7 has won golden boot / top scorer in the 3 most competitive leagues in Europe/the world.

Messi has more finesse, Ronaldo has more power. They are different players and both exceptional.

Back
Top Bottom