• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 960 Owners Thread

Soldato
OcUK said I would be getting a replacement card at some point.I ran benchmarks with the following games:
1.)TR
2.)Bioshock Infinite
3.)Metro:Last Light
4.)Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
5.)Diablo 3

A couple of them are 4 minute playthroughs with FRAPs measurements.

Any other games you would like me to test?

Soldato
Behold the greatest GPU of all time !!

Boosts up to 1500mhz at stock, the fan turns off at IDLE, really quiet under LOAD max load temps around 75C, what a sexy mama :D:p

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Soldato
Boomstick777 GTFOOH.:D

My mighty EVGA SSC 960s don't go over 40c when benching.:D

Having said that the coolers are a bit noisy @100% on the fans.:p

Lol, at stock this thing will turbo up to 1500, temps sit around 75C at load but the card is silent low RPM fans. This is my fav GPU from this gen so far haha. Everyone else hates the 960's I think they are awesome cards.

My 980 Ti is going back, so this is my stop gap. Fury X had faulty pump noise, not much luck with the high end stuff lately. should have just stuck with the Titan X I had :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Really should have a play with mine some time. It's just on occasional physx duties, but is running around 1500.

It's one of the short gigabyte ones. Quiet and temps are low.

Might see this weekend what I can get out of it and stick to playing games on it for lols.

Man of Honour
OP
Lol, at stock this thing will turbo up to 1500, temps sit around 75C at load but the card is silent low RPM fans. This is my fav GPU from this gen so far haha. Everyone else hates the 960's I think they are awesome cards.

My 980 Ti is going back, so this is my stop gap. Fury X had faulty pump noise, 980 Ti has some issues, not much luck with the high end stuff lately. should have just stuck with the Titan X I had :rolleyes:

The Titan X is a design classic and I love it to bits.:)

At stock it is very fast and overclocked with a custom bios it is wicked.

Whatever you can do on a GTX 980 Ti you can do better on a TX.:D

Soldato
Replacement 960, what was up with your card?

Is the 960 your main GPU?

Being honest, if I wasn't such a tech junkie and just played games I really do think the 960 does a great job at 1080P, and would just have one of these lil beasts.

My main builds are all SFF builds and I use this current case:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/cubitek-mini-cube-review,1.html

Its the biggest one I had for years and I tend to prefer aluminium cases. I tend to use midrange stuff under £200 since they tend to use not more than one or two six pin PCI-E power connextors and do not tend to dump a huge amount of heat back into the case.

I was using a GTX660 before I got the GTX960 the week beforehand.

However,the GTX960 killed itself during a game of PS2,so I had to RMA it and I have a replacement coming at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato
My main builds are all SFF builds and I use this current case:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/cubitek-mini-cube-review,1.html

Its the biggest one I had for years and I tend to prefer aluminium cases. I tend to use midrange stuff under £200 since they tend to use not more than one or two six pin PCI-E power connextors and do not tend to dump a huge amount of heat back into the case.

I was using a GTX660 before I got the GTX960 the week beforehand.

However,the GTX960 killed itself during a game of PS2,so I had to RMA it and I have a replacement coming at some point.

Yeah for the money the 960 is a good deal, I think this one was less than £150 and came with Arkham Knight. For the performance you get I think it's impressive.

The 960 replacement next year, die shrink, new architecture and as a bonus might come with HBM etc. Could be an even better bargain if they retain similar price points.

I think the X60 and R80 cards from AMD / Nvidia represent the value for money sweet spot, and every tier you go up you get more and more diminishing return on your buck.

If I wasn't such a hardware whore I would just stick with this AMP 960 as main GPU. No doubt if I see a good price on another 980 Ti or Fury I will be tempted again though :p

I'm not in any rush now though with faulty Fury X lol. I'm a bit scared to try anything else :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I just didn't appreaciate how demanding 4K was until I tried it on a 960 :D

It's either been trifire 290x (or single most of the time thanks to rubbish mgpu support) or 980 ti sli.

Just trying a couple of games at exact same settings as I play normally with the Ti's, just dropping the res to 1080p.

Just leaving the card running at 1505. Can't be bothered finding it's absolute limits.

Actually quite capable as a 1080p card.

Soldato
WEll, that was fun for a little play.

BF4 maxed, Dirty bomb maxed, and very nearly even ran Batman AK perfectly at 1080p - though for batman I had used the tweaker tool to tweak things for my 980 ti sli.

Odd when you think of it, this £150 card running games so well at 1080p... then you compare it to 1200 worth on 980 ti sli and the 4K screen... For just a second I thought, why do I do it?

Then I went back to 980 ti sli, fired up games and went back to 4K and thought, oh that's why! :)

Still, the 960 is a surprising little card (to me). For 1080p gamers who don't want to spend a packet, it's a brilliant choice!

Soldato
I picked up one of these the other day (EVGA SSC model). I was quite interested in seeing its overclocking potential, since reviews suggested that 1500MHz was an average result, with most reporting well over that. I must have gotten an absolute dog of a chip, because it won't take any more than +25MHz over stock (in-game boost clock of 1455MHz) before it becomes unstable. Even with +100mV and the memory dialled back it absolutely refuses to do even +35MHz. Disappointing tbh.

Back
Top Bottom