• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Apologies, I'm being an idiot.

I've checked GPU-Z. The cap reasons are a mixture of (mostly) Power and (occasionally) Reliable Voltage. What does this mean?

It means your card is running at its limits. You could try upping the voltage slightly (I did this) and you might get it stable slightly higher but it gwts hotter quicker then throttles so won't help for gaming, just for benchmarks.

If your temps are already lower (hybrid or water) you could try sonething small like +18mV and try upping the +core value for more speed and see if it runs stably

[Edit] blooming hell! You are already at +87mV! Maybe try reducing that value and seeing if it still clocks as high. Shouldn't need that much voltage on a 980Ti

I removed all my OCs, reset my settings in Precision to default and ran Heaven again. I'm still seeing fluctuations on the core clock - PerfCap reasons pwr and vrel.

I then increased the power target to 110% in precision and found that this removed the fluctuations. The perfcap reasons then became entirely vrel. I've posted a screenshot - you can see the two tests I ran.

gpuz.gif

It means your card is running at its limits. You could try upping the voltage slightly (I did this) and you might get it stable slightly higher but it gwts hotter quicker then throttles so won't help for gaming, just for benchmarks.

If your temps are already lower (hybrid or water) you could try sonething small like +18mV and try upping the +core value for more speed and see if it runs stably

[Edit] blooming hell! You are already at +87mV! Maybe try reducing that value and seeing if it still clocks as high. Shouldn't need that much voltage on a 980Ti

With the voltage reset to default, I still get Vrel under PerfCap the entire time that Heaven is running. Increasing the voltage to +18mV doesn't change the reported voltage - it stays at 1.193V the whole time.

EDIT: increasing it further to +24mV makes GPU voltage go to 1.212V. The reported core speed then increases to 1367MHz and stays there. I haven't applied any OCs to the core of memory.

Last edited:
With the voltage reset to default, I still get Vrel under PerfCap the entire time that Heaven is running. Increasing the voltage to +18mV doesn't change the reported voltage - it stays at 1.193V the whole time.

EDIT: increasing it further to +24mV makes GPU voltage go to 1.212V. The reported core speed then increases to 1367MHz and stays there. I haven't applied any OCs to the core of memory.

If you raise your voltage by any amount, then your core speed will also raise with it. This is normal.

If you aren't seeing any throttle (core speed or performance drops) then disregard performance caps.

I hadn't taken that much notice of the individual settings but inspired by the above I've been fiddling a bit with Heaven running in a 1080p windows on the desktop (40" 4K UHD helps a lot here). My best balance to minimise the over volting and temps (only a couple of degrees in reality on a Hybrid). My settings are the below.

+27mV
108% Power Limit
+175 on a reference EVGA SC + AIO = ~1490 Hz
Memory +400 (always had is set there regardless)

I did have it at up to 1513 MHz with more voltage and + 185 Core but it wasn't reliable so backed down to +175V & +27mV

If the PerfCaps are Pwr and you already have power maxed out (110%)...where do you go from there? The GPU temp is 47 under load. Would flashing the bios to unlock the power restriction help/be advisable?

If the PerfCaps are Pwr and you already have power maxed out (110%)...where do you go from there? The GPU temp is 47 under load. Would flashing the bios to unlock the power restriction help/be advisable?

yes you can re-flash the bios. Either power limit and voltage bios or just plain power bios like mine. Which gives you 121% power limit and 1.274v at load. or just plain 121% power limit like mine. there are also other bios that give you 1.22v, 1.25v etc. Depends how far you want to go.

As already mentioned in reality you're already getting a large increase but I see many cards happily running around the 1450MHz range. Mine is running at 1450MHz (+125 on a reference SC based Hybrid). I can run it at 1475 but that's 5Hz less than the unstable speeds so I backed down for longevity. It may improve a little bit after a good burn in period.

What is considered a good burn in period?

If you're benching then by all means flash the BIOS, but if it's for 24/7 gaming use then why not just dial the overclock back until the Power goes within limits? What have you got to lose, 2fps?

If you're benching then by all means flash the BIOS, but if it's for 24/7 gaming use then why not just dial the overclock back until the Power goes within limits? What have you got to lose, 2fps?

I can get an extra 100mhz out of each card with a custom bios (1550mhz). But with the extra heat + power not worth it for me. Good for benching but I just use a power limit bios for gaming.

I can get an extra 100mhz out of each card with a custom bios (1550mhz). But with the extra heat + power not worth it for me. Good for benching but I just use a power limit bios for gaming.

I recently ran my card at stock as I had a problem with BSOD corrupting my OS, and after fixing the OS I wanted to rule all overclocking etc out.

It was surprising to be reminded of how great these cards are without an overclock. As you say, another 100Mhz is a nice boost "on paper", but for 24/7 gaming sometimes less hassle overrides that extra performance.

These cards are great performers, but they do seem to run close to thermal and power limits. My G1 980 on the other hand, I had running at 1620 on the core and the power was peaking around 80%. :eek:

Highest I ever saw my G1 Gaming use was 107% power according to afterburner, not seen my Strix go that high yet - But the G1 allows 130% power limit whereas the Strix only allows 110%.

That reminds me... The Strix has little white LEDs to say whether your PCI-e cables are attached correctly or not. On the left side, it's red until both 6 + 2 pins are connected, however on the right side, it lights up if just the 6 pin is connected. - I suppose this also explains why the power limit is only 110% on an 8+8 pin card - But my question is, why? Is it purely for you to flash the BIOS and get that extra 20%?

I'm confused as to why my clock speed when running Heaven is higher than the boost speed reported in GPU-Z (1240MHz) even when I turn off all OCs in Precision(!?).

Because GPU-Z's "boost" is what your card is guaranteed to run at - NVidia GPUs have a technology called GPU Boost 2.0 which boosts your card even further (and the boost displayed in GPU-Z is basically redundant as it will always be running higher than that, unless it's at like 100c or something) - GPU Boost 2.0 boosts your card as much as it can before thermals and/or power consumption become a problem.

That should help you :)

Back
Top Bottom