• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Hi guys, I need a little guidance, looking to buy a GTX980ti and cannot make my mind up on which one (Will be OC'd version though) Currently looking at EVGA Classified, Gigabyte G1, Asus OC Strix and possibly the MSI Lightning. I don't have much knowledge of MSI but from reading reviews they seem quite good. I want max frame rates to replace my GTX770 SLI setup but a good compromise on noise and heat output. I keep looking at reviews and swing from one to the other! I really like the look of the ASUS as it will match my MB but I did hear they had problems with the initial batch of heatsinks not making full contact. I notice they are on back order atm so hopefully rectified in next batch. Any advise gratefully received.

Recording game footage? Just to be sure id try playing the same game with no recording software running. Hopefully just a bug/niggle with the recording software.:)

Ahh, looks like it was the game, well, I'm fairly sure of it anyway. Although I've enjoyed playing it so far (Syndicate), it really does appear to be a very buggy, fickle title. It's not played ball with either gpu vendor, and recording software seems to make it even more susceptible to playing up.

Ahh, looks like it was the game, well, I'm fairly sure of it anyway. Although I've enjoyed playing it so far (Syndicate), it really does appear to be a very buggy, fickle title. It's not played ball with either gpu vendor, and recording software seems to make it even more susceptible to playing up.
Another example of lazy developers mate, we the paying public turned into long term beta testers.:D

Another example of lazy developers mate, we the paying public turned into long term beta testers.:D

Absolutely. :( :rolleyes: :D :)

Thankfully, since I'm slow to getting around to trying out the latest titles, I seldom encounter anything like this. One of the most buggy games I've ever played, I think.

Last edited:
Your assuming everyone who owns a GTX 980 Ti on air has an extreme air cooled case like yours.

Which 980 Ti do you have ? If it's the reference then yes they can get hot but still manageable even in tiny cases.

My 980 Ti Classified never goes above 70'c and most of the time is around 64'c and I do not have a mega air cooled case, It's a 780T with 3 x 120mm front intake fans on a fan speed reducer running *around* 800RPM and the same for the rear 1 x 140mm exhaust fan.

1920x1200. Side panels being off have dropped temps a bit as the card normally hits the mid 60's on this profile. Mid 70's on stock profile. No idea though if the backplate ever gets hot. Card sits that close to my k2 cpu heatsink i cant check.
1920x1200 is fine it will handle that 24/7 with no temp issues on air with or without the case sides on.

4K however is another matter altogether on air only the MSI IMO is just not able to handle that for long without either extreme case cooling (by that I mean 5-6 120 or 140 mm fans providing a mini tornado into the case!)

Defo not just us, the place I bought from said they'd had above usual returns with same issue.
Does not suprise me one little bit MSI saved money on the HSF & got crafty with their GPU Boost 2.0 profile so it appears silent then after a little while under load unless you have extreme case cooling or water the temps rise rapidly if your on 4K especially.

I think the card is fine for 1080/1200 allday long but its not really suitable for 4K unless you put it under water or have a very windy case & plenty of high CFM fans!

Does not suprise me one little bit MSI saved money on the HSF & got crafty with their GPU Boost 2.0 profile so it appears silent then after a little while under load unless you have extreme case cooling or water the temps rise rapidly if your on 4K especially.

I think the card is fine for 1080/1200 allday long but its not really suitable for 4K unless you put it under water or have a very windy case & plenty of high CFM fans!

Any pics of your case internals? Im pretty sure i could turn most of my case fans off and top out at 80c at 4k, overclocked.

Which 980 Ti do you have ? If it's the reference then yes they can get hot but still manageable even in tiny cases.

My 980 Ti Classified never goes above 70'c and most of the time is around 64'c and I do not have a mega air cooled case, It's a 780T with 3 x 120mm front intake fans on a fan speed reducer running *around* 800RPM and the same for the rear 1 x 140mm exhaust fan.
MSI Gaming 6G which vents hot air into the case everywhere. Std reference HSF out the back of the case is actually better overall IMO. 1080 gaming for me rarely goes above mid 60C.

4K is the problem for me the card cannot handle that for long without getting too hot especially around the backplate region so later today I will fit a Kraken G10 + H55 as recommended by other owners on here to have manageable temps for long periods of time (Fallout 4 specifically!!).

I managed to ghetto mod a 120mm fan to blow the hot air away towards the exhaust fan but its still not good enough for 4K on air IMO. The Twin Forza HSF is last years model someone posted a pic of it next to an AMD GPU from 2014 its the exact same HSF :eek: it was also used on the GTX 980...yet the TDP differenece between the cards is not exactly small under load is it! Sorry I cannot find the link now but someone in the US posted some pics a few months ago as they could not believe MSI would reuse a HSF designed for a much lower TDP GPU :eek: (neither can I!).

I cannot afford to burn out another GTX 980 Ti (this is my 4th. 2 burned out & failed @ 4K on Mad Max then 1 was returned unopened & swapped for the MSI 6G) the hassle alone of waiting up to 6 weeks is enough to make me put it under AIO water (low risk I hope as I am mounting so if it ever leaks there is no real damage possible to other components).
2f06ja9.jpg

.....Get a new case, that's cramped and pathetic. 750d with the meshed panel will do nicely. I'd be surprised if that cards even getting half the air it needs being that close to the bottom.

Last edited:
MSI Gaming 6G which vents hot air into the case everywhere. Std reference HSF out the back of the case is actually better overall IMO. 1080 gaming for me rarely goes above mid 60C.

4K is the problem for me the card cannot handle that for long without getting too hot especially around the backplate region so later today I will fit a Kraken G10 + H55 as recommended by other owners on here to have manageable temps for long periods of time (Fallout 4 specifically!!).

I managed to ghetto mod a 120mm fan to blow the hot air away towards the exhaust fan but its still not good enough for 4K on air IMO. The Twin Forza HSF is last years model someone posted a pic of it next to an AMD GPU from 2014 its the exact same HSF :eek: it was also used on the GTX 980...yet the TDP differenece between the cards is not exactly small under load is it! Sorry I cannot find the link now but someone in the US posted some pics a few months ago as they could not believe MSI would reuse a HSF designed for a much lower TDP GPU :eek: (neither can I!).

I cannot afford to burn out another GTX 980 Ti (this is my 4th. 2 burned out & failed @ 4K on Mad Max then 1 was returned unopened & swapped for the MSI 6G) the hassle alone of waiting up to 6 weeks is enough to make me put it under AIO water (low risk I hope as I am mounting so if it ever leaks there is no real damage possible to other components).
2f06ja9.jpg

It's not that the card can't handle it, It's that your case is ****, Has no airflow and the cable management is beyond sub par.

Invest in a proper modern case and throw that thing in the garbage.

Any pics of your case internals? Im pretty sure i could turn most of my case fans off and top out at 80c at 4k, overclocked.
I will take some later today after the G10+H55 are fitted the one above is when I ghetto modded a 120mm fan to blow cold air onto the backplate.

The card is currently surrounded by fans but it still gets too hot for me (after 2 burning out in the exact same backplate region I am very paranoid about temps obviously!).

My case is only a mid atx but the CPU never goes above 60C (12 cores @ 3.46 Ghz on a Noctua CP12 + 140mm fan).

PSU is a Seasonic Snow Silent 1050 Platinum.

It has 5 x case fans. 120mm side case fan is only 1cm from the backplate of the GPU push or pull the backplate gets very hot @ 4K gaming. 1080 is fine all day so I am fitting G10 + H55 later today to banish the temps away (I hope)!.

.....Get a new case, that's cramped and pathetic. 750d with the meshed panel will do nicely. I'd be surprised if that cards even getting half the air it needs being that close to the bottom.

The card was up the top for a few days it made little difference 4K was/is still a no no the backplate gets too hot. AG10 + H55 IO will sort this later today I hope!

got two msi 980ti ref's in a corsair 780t with 3 intake fans, if i leave the fans on auto they will both reach 85 degrees easily. If i use 1-1 fan speed to degree ratio it will go to around 77-79

I will take some later today after the G10+H55 are fitted the one above is when I ghetto modded a 120mm fan to blow cold air onto the backplate.

The card is currently surrounded by fans but it still gets too hot for me (after 2 burning out in the exact same backplate region I am very paranoid about temps obviously!).

My case is only a mid atx but the CPU never goes above 60C (12 cores @ 3.46 Ghz on a Noctua CP12 + 140mm fan).

PSU is a Seasonic Snow Silent 1050 Platinum.

It has 5 x case fans. 120mm side case fan is only 1cm from the backplate of the GPU push or pull the backplate gets very hot @ 4K gaming. 1080 is fine all day so I am fitting G10 + H55 later today to banish the temps away (I hope)!.

Sounds to me that the card isn't getting any air and they shouldn't be "Burning out" as they have fail safes in place.

I think you're not telling us something, Over exaggerating or you're telling porkies.

Back
Top Bottom