• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

MSI GTX 780 Ti reference was the card before that was even hotter but resolution was a little lower @ 2560x1080 as I had a 21:9 monitor then.

The MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G is a superb card but the HSF is marginal at best anything for over 1080 gaming the backplate traps a massive amount of heat.

I have seen thermal images from reviews its around 100C hotspots on the backplate this is where the temp spikes are. Even if I can only get 2C cooler from high CFM fans that will help a little.

I will probably go water cooling on the card sooner or later it seems the only way forward for 4K with no hassle.

Your last card ran even hotter.

How Can you just not see that its your case.

I will probably go water cooling on the card sooner or later it seems the only way forward for 4K with no hassle.

If you do, make your life easier and get a Kraken G10 and a H55. Fits the 6G like a glove, the backplate stays on, as well as the already installed plate covering the memory/heatsinks on all the vrms under the fan.

If you do, make your life easier and get a Kraken G10 and a H55. Fits the 6G like a glove, the backplate stays on, as well as the already installed plate covering the memory/heatsinks on all the vrms under the fan.
Yep that seems to be the combo to get how long does it take to remove the existing HSF?

I presume same old torx screws as GTX 780 Ti range.

Yep that seems to be the combo to get how long does it take to remove the existing HSF?

I presume same old torx screws as GTX 780 Ti range.

Silly easy to take the Twin Frozr cooler off, just remove four small screws surrounding the GPU core, all the other backplate screws stay in. Not Torx but just smaller screws, so could do with a precision set. Just keep an eye on the fan header being attached when seperating the HSF from the pcb. The only thing you need to change is either remove the foam on the NZXT plate included, or just flip it over like I done so it's flush against the 6G backplate.

How come your power limit tops out at 110% my evga classified has 115% on it's stock bios. I run mine stable at 1455mhz and +600 on the ram using afterburner and it is fine even on witcher 3. No point using the voltage as it uses some of your power limit up and really makes little or no difference at least on my ti. Highest core and ram OC tested on witcher 3 should be good.

Depends on the card for the power limit, i think the gigabyte g1 goes to 120 or above, for some reason asis locked this at 110,

As far as clocks go, 1400-1550 is the range where all Tis end up, there is nothing wrong with your card.

Didn't say there was, just its more awkward than i remember having not bothered overclocking my gpu in a good few years :)

Depends on the card for the power limit, i think the gigabyte g1 goes to 120 or above, for some reason asis locked this at 110

Yeah, I noticed that too. G1 Gaming is 8+8 pin and goes up to 130%, Asus is 8+8 pin and goes up to 110%. You can get the Strix to think it has all PCI-e pins connected whilst only having 8 connected too...

wsVeVPZ.png

I tried the card without the right hand 2-pin connected (was trying different PSU connectors to see if it alleviated coil whine) and it booted fine, ran a couple of games without issue too, so I'm wondering if Asus made it so it works fine as a 6+8 pin and added the extra two pins in case you decide to mod the BIOS yourself?

Silly easy to take the Twin Frozr cooler off, just remove four small screws surrounding the GPU core, all the other backplate screws stay in. Not Torx but just smaller screws, so could do with a precision set. Just keep an eye on the fan header being attached when seperating the HSF from the pcb. The only thing you need to change is either remove the foam on the NZXT plate included, or just flip it over like I done so it's flush against the 6G backplate.
Thanks for the headsup I will wait until I get my new 75CFM fans tomorrow before ordering Kraken G10 + H55 just incase it makes any noticeable difference!

Yeah, I noticed that too. G1 Gaming is 8+8 pin and goes up to 130%, Asus is 8+8 pin and goes up to 110%. You can get the Strix to think it has all PCI-e pins connected whilst only having 8 connected too...

wsVeVPZ.png

I tried the card without the right hand 2-pin connected (was trying different PSU connectors to see if it alleviated coil whine) and it booted fine, ran a couple of games without issue too, so I'm wondering if Asus made it so it works fine as a 6+8 pin and added the extra two pins in case you decide to mod the BIOS yourself?

I wouldn't risk modding the bios with their nazi like returns service. I was considering redoing the thermal paste as generally its a crap application but even thats a no no with them i think.

Oh ew, thanks for the warning. I was thinking about doing that too since there were no warranty void if removed stickers on the screws or anything, so I thought it was fair game. I guess not though.

wsVeVPZ.png

Percentage doesnt mean anything, the strix has a higher base wattage anyway which is why it will only let you add 10%

Thanks for the headsup I will wait until I get my new 75CFM fans tomorrow before ordering Kraken G10 + H55 just incase it makes any noticeable difference!

I've done this with my SLI setup, I just turned the Kraken Backplates over and they fit perfectly. It is a very easy job because the vrm plate stays on. I'm getting idle of high 20's and max load of 54. I swapped the stock fans for gentle typhoons and run them off an Aquaero LT5. Well worth the effort.

I've done this with my SLI setup, I just turned the Kraken Backplates over and they fit perfectly. It is a very easy job because the vrm plate stays on. I'm getting idle of high 20's and max load of 54. I swapped the stock fans for gentle typhoons and run them off an Aquaero LT5. Well worth the effort.
Thanks for the info I will try & see!

So I presume as the GPU temp is kept so low the VRM's see little to no heat then?

as I understand it the vrms are still getting cooled by the combination of the vrm plate and the supplied Kraken fan, you're really just replacing one fan (the stock HSF one) for another.

So I presume as the GPU temp is kept so low the VRM's see little to no heat then?

Due to the drastic reduction in core temps the whole PCB and backplate run cooler. This must effectively result in lower vrm temps but I have no temp gun or anything to check. The backplate is much cooler to the touch than before though.

Due to the drastic reduction in core temps the whole PCB and backplate run cooler. This must effectively result in lower vrm temps but I have no temp gun or anything to check. The backplate is much cooler to the touch than before though.
G10 + H55 it is the 2 fans made about 3-4C difference but again Mad Max @ 4K is getting too hot.

Arkham Knight is about 6C lower ingame with my ghetto mod 120mm high CFM fan but as others have told me its just not possible to have air & 4K without a lot of heat so water cooling it is!

EVGA owners, what are your thoughts on the extended warranty? I believe it's €25 EUR for an extra 2 years (taking it to 5 years total). Do you think it would add to the resale value when I go to upgrade in a few years?

EVGA owners, what are your thoughts on the extended warranty? I believe it's €25 EUR for an extra 2 years (taking it to 5 years total). Do you think it would add to the resale value when I go to upgrade in a few years?

I would say not. I would only buy it if you intend to keep it that long. People will pay you what the going price is when selling second hand, regardless of warranty.

Back
Top Bottom