• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Is it worth it over IPS? Dont you need to be able to get >120fps too at 1440p? Pretty hard on new games. Sorry, dont know much about gsync - probably the wrong thread to ask too

ive just bought the Dell S2716DG my first G-Sync monitor and it's amazing, i thought 120hz was the nuts but G-Sync :p:D;)

Nice one :cool:

If 75%+ of my usage was gaming then I'd definitely consider one of the 100+hz Gysnc TNs, as it is I've had IPS since forever and I do a lot of movie/boxset viewing also so the super wide VA Samsung is looking most likely at the minute, either that or the IPS Dell super wide.

Why? I mean I game, and I'm fine at 60hz so why is it so good to get mire?

I'm not being a d1ck, I just really want to know if its beneficial or not as I play at 4k 60hz.

Why? I mean I game, and I'm fine at 60hz so why is it so good to get mire?

I'm not being a d1ck, I just really want to know if its beneficial or not as I play at 4k 60hz.

I know when my frames dip below 65-ish, even with Gsync I can still see a big difference at that fps. Anything above 65 just feels perfect.

I think it needs to be seen to be explained properly. I sacrifice IQ for fps above 65 every time.

Im still considering sli myself, but worried about spacing on my board. For sli with dual cards it states slots 1 and 3, which are too close together. Unsure if i can use 1 and 5 with a 5820k which would leave a much better gap.

Im still considering sli myself, but worried about spacing on my board. For sli with dual cards it states slots 1 and 3, which are too close together. Unsure if i can use 1 and 5 with a 5820k which would leave a much better gap.

What happens when you put your primary card in slot 5.

What speed does it run at and how many PCI-E lanes ?

Do you have any old PCI-E cards you can put in slot 1 (does not have to be a graphics card) to see how the PCI-E lanes split.

That's reassuring and nice to hear.

Probably not the best choices for SLI and cooling but I currently have a MSI 6G gaming with the twin frozr cooler and have just bought the Gigabyte G1 gaming. I know these types of fan designs can cause problems with cooling in SLI but we shall see. My MSI runs ok even overclocked to 1470 (never above 71degC while 4k gaming) I have a double space mobo too which should help a little, I am hoping.

Can always work something out if needs be.

You won't regret it :). I did have 2 msi Ti's. I ended up swapping for reference and water cooling. They did get a little warm for me 82c on bf4 vs 38c now with custom loop and bios. But I wanted to water cool anyway. They should cool better with them being different cards. And both having good coolers.

Last edited:

5820k doesn't have the lanes required (it has 28), so I would reckon your 1-3 setup will give you x8/x8. What are you meaning by 1-5 slot config? You don't have 5 slots, only 4. :confused:

A 1-3 slot setup should give you plenty of space, the only way you could get a bigger gap is with 1-4 but that would only work with a 40 lane CPU (not the 5820k) and the additional space would be negligible.

You won't regret it :). I did have 2 msi Ti's. I ended up swapping for reference and water cooling. They did get a little warm for me 82c on bf4 vs 38c now with custom loop and bios. But I wanted to water cool anyway. They should cool better with them being different cards. And both having good coolers.

Tell me a bit about your watercooling setup. I like the sound of those WC temps. My new windforce arrived today and not only is it a lot noisier than my MSI it reaches mid 80's which is not good enough. Not really the cards fault it just happens to be the top card and I'm sure the same would happen with the MSI if I was to switch them.

As it stands scaling is as expected pretty reasonable but as I feared the top card temp is a little too high for comfort.

I need to either consider a wc loop or send it back and hold out for pascal. :(

Tell me a bit about your watercooling setup. I like the sound of those WC temps. My new windforce arrived today and not only is it a lot noisier than my MSI it reaches mid 80's which is not good enough. Not really the cards fault it just happens to be the top card and I'm sure the same would happen with the MSI if I was to switch them.

As it stands scaling is as expected pretty reasonable but as I feared the top card temp is a little too high for comfort.

What MoBo and in which slots, i.e. how far apart are they?

What MoBo and in which slots, i.e. how far apart are they?

This is where I think I may have messed up. I have a maximus Gene V with no space between the cards. I thought I had a single/double slot gap but was clearly mistaken.

If I run the windforce on top I get around 80-85degC depending on the game. It gets louder than my MSI 6g but is slightly cooler. If I run the MSI in the top slot it will rise into the 90's at which point I quit what I'm doing. It does however have a quieter cooler if not quite as efficient in the SLI setup atleast.

I can try a different config with my H100i even though that does not get too hot it is still currently introducing recycled warm air from the front mounted rad with two noctua fans pulling from the rad to the rear of the case (define R5)

I think the only answer is a custom WC loop which Is the route I was half expecting to go down.

You could put a hybrid cooler on the top card quite easily. But if you want a full custom loop etc. you can see pic in my sig.

Took advantage with as much space as I could in my 900D. Which is 2x 480mm rads and a 240mm. That cools both Ti's and my 5930k. Both Ti's have EK full cover blocks to cool the core, memory and VRM's. Both cards are set to 1500mhz while gaming with 121% power limit, 1.25v bios.

Very quiet, hard drive spinning up is loudest thing in the system.

You don't need that much rad space to get similar temps truthfully. Even half that would keep you mid 40s. 1000w is a lot of cooling :).

Unless you really want a wc loop. I would just get a hybrid cooler for the MSI and keep the G1 on the bottom.

You could put a hybrid cooler on the top card quite easily. But if you want a full custom loop etc. you can see pic in my sig.

Took advantage with as much space as I could in my 900D. Which is 2x 480mm rads and a 240mm. That cools both Ti's and my 5930k. Both Ti's have EK full cover blocks to cool the core, memory and VRM's. Both cards are set to 1500mhz while gaming with 121% power limit, 1.25v bios.

Very quiet, hard drive spinning up is loudest thing in the system.

You don't need that much rad space to get similar temps truthfully. Even half that would keep you mid 40s. 1000w is a lot of cooling :).

Unless you really want a wc loop. I would just get a hybrid cooler for the MSI and keep the G1 on the bottom.

That's brilliant. Thanks a lot.

That's brilliant. Thanks a lot.

Just to add what I forgot, if you do go custom loop you will need EK custom blocks for each card. As they are different from reference and are both custom pcb's. EK have blocks for each card.

With regards to MSI, again if you want a hybrid there is the kraken g10. I believe there are others. I'm sure someone will let you know. Many have the coolers fitted to there cards so could tell you what to expect on temps. Will certainly be better than 85c+.

Back
Top Bottom