• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

i flashed my bios earlier and its more stable. 1550/2000 probably have a go tomorrow to go a little higher but tbh this will do me; its a great increase from standard

i flashed my bios earlier and its more stable. 1550/2000 probably have a go tomorrow to go a little higher but tbh this will do me; its a great increase from standard

nice, what bios did you use? public or one you did yourself

I just benched at 1500/2103 (+700 mem)
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29364533&postcount=4325

Memory seems to be much more stable and produce better results for me. 750 I got artifacts and it crashed Heaven so guess I could bench at +720-730 memory.

Any voltage increase for 1550 core? Thats very high but didnt you say you are on water? (im just air)

nice, what bios did you use? public or one you did yourself

I just benched at 1500/2103 (+700 mem)
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29364533&postcount=4325

Memory seems to be much more stable and produce better results for me. 750 I got artifacts and it crashed Heaven so guess I could bench at +720-730 memory.

Any voltage increase for 1550 core? Thats very high but didnt you say you are on water? (im just air)

Very nice score! I want to break the top 10 :D

Yes on water; with this custom rom my temps have increased as the voltage is 1.28v now.

I used the v2 of this post (this is for the EVGA cards i dont think it works with the classified ones):
http://forums.evga.com/GTX-980-TI-BIOSVOLTAGE-HACK-m2360712.aspx

I got 2728 in Heaven with this rom and will post it at some point when I've finished messing. I really need to keep a little log of the different rates/results...

This one might be helpful for you too for the custom FWs
http://www.overclock.net/t/1573308/nvidia-gtx-900-cards-custom-bios-upon-request

Last edited:
Thinking of getting a classy ti to tide me over for pascal ti classy comes out. Currently have Titan blacks sli, but would like to go back to one card again. Would I be looking at similar performance or better? Also I would sell my titan black's so I won't lose much. I play on a res of 3440x1440

Thinking of getting a classy ti to tide me over for pascal ti classy comes out. Currently have Titan blacks sli, but would like to go back to one card again. Would I be looking at similar performance or better? Also I would sell my titan black's so I won't lose much. I play on a res of 3440x1440

Mine copes well at 2560*1440, but I think the extra pixels you want to push would challenge it. That's dependent on what settings and FPS you are happy with, obviously. I don't mind dropping some settings to keep at 70fps or thereabouts, but anything below 60 I just can't abide.

I gather with the news from Nvidia Pascal Gaming GPU's not being on shop shelf's for a while the pricing on 980Ti's will be held high?

Coming from 770's in SLI on 1440p what would a single 980Ti bring me?

I gather with the news from Nvidia Pascal Gaming GPU's not being on shop shelf's for a while the pricing on 980Ti's will be held high?

Coming from 770's in SLI on 1440p what would a single 980Ti bring me?

An almost perfect experience, I would say. I game at 1440p and came from two 280X's and the difference is incredible.

Mine copes well at 2560*1440, but I think the extra pixels you want to push would challenge it. That's dependent on what settings and FPS you are happy with, obviously. I don't mind dropping some settings to keep at 70fps or thereabouts, but anything below 60 I just can't abide.

How much performance difference between a 980ti classy and a Titan x is there then, would a Titan x be a better option?

How much performance difference between a 980ti classy and a Titan x is there then, would a Titan x be a better option?

The classy would usually be ahead as the cooler will allow higher boosts or at least comparably. The Titan x comes into its own when you can cool it properly and even better once you out a custom bios to get rid of the crappy power limits. For 95% of people a classy will perform as well for much cheaper more so at 1440p

Thanks SuperPasty and Guest2 :)

Having more video memory will be great.

Would it be fair to say that the Pascal cards will be best bought mid'ish next year?

From my perspective it all depends on price and performance...
If a midrange Pascal costs more than the price I paid for my 980Ti classified and not offer a good performance increase, there is no point upgrading.
If the Pascal Ti range offers a big performance increase for the same price I paid for my 980Ti, then I will upgrade in a year or so and sell my 980Ti

Possibly yes, but doubt its worth the extra unless you are high res gaming (1440p+ or 4k)

However I am basing my opinions on reviews so something like this would be a much better picture - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G5oe-Cc994

Sorry scratch the Titan x bit rich for my blood. But I was looking at the 980ti hybrid is that better than the classy?

Both are solid models. Classified is slightly better if you plan to go the custom watercooling route and want to squeeze the absolute max out of the card as it has a custom pcb to help try and achieve stable overclocks.

But in most cases the hybrid can go just as far and runs very quiet. 980Tis like most maxwell cards love cold tempretures so without going custom loop route, the hybrid will be a very nice option. It can maintain high clock speeds fairly easily and be pushed pretty far no problem. Thanks to said radiator it will also run fairly quiet. My personal preference from past experience with the classified and hybrid kit on the Titan x. Classified if you custom loop, otherwise hybrid.

I have ordered a cheap(ish) multimeter to check the actual voltage when overclocking my 980Ti.

I really don't trust software voltage readings. As in the article above the EVGA 980Ti classified is voltage locked to 1.21v however the first card I had Afterburner and precision X read 1.25v sometimes, the card I have now does not. The new version of Afterburner also does not display OSD settings in Squad greenlight, the only game I play.

Maxwell bios tweaker of the default bios also shows the max boost clock (state 74 and all other high states in the voltage table) as something like 1.2875 volts.

Should be interesting to see what default volts are and what they are with my current +37mV overclock...

See how this has changed into a hobby rather than me just buying a card to play games. dammit

Right EVGA Hybrid ordered for Saturday delivery, cannot wait. Fingers crossed will be able to mount rad to either bottom or front of case, if so then will order a second next week to fit rad at the top. :)

I'm weighing up the prospect of going SLI, seeing as Pascal looks like being a disappointment, ages away, or both.

Rig specis in my sig. Options seems to be:

• EVGA Classy - pair like for like, and risk the heat.
  • EVGA Hybrid - Place below existing Classy, so heat shouldn't be an issue.
  • EVGA Reference - As Hybrid, but rely on air vent at the rear rather than AIO

Any opinions?

If your worried about aesthetics, then of course, get another classy.

If not, then I would choose the Hybrid, as I think this combination would be better for temps,
and will be generally be quieter than the reference model.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom