• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Is this thread still alive? because i have a question:- I have just bought an inno3d GTX 980 ti hybrid black, can i remove the radiator and fan etc to get back to the board and fit a water block. I am asking because i would like to go custom water at some time in the near future. I think a titan block fits but i would like some conformation.

Why? you have just paid a premium for the hybrid cooler, you wont see much better temps running it through a custom loop. I have the EVGA model and at stock fan speeds it never goes above 45c however ive put a small fan resistor on it so its completely silent even in heavy prolonged gaming sessions and it still never goes above 60c.

IMO you'll be spending a lot for a little back, spend the money elsewhere.

Associate
Hi F1aw1ess, I was lucky i got what was advertised as used but turns out to be open box and it was cheaper than any of the air versions i could find, so i dont consider i paid premium for it. I am also a bit of a worrier so i am thinking what if the fluid drys out. I will do a custom loop build at some time, so was looking into the feasibility of converting it, adding a second for SLI so not having to get a gtx 1080 ti(or better). I already have a chassis(thermaltake P5) and a SeaSonic PSU ready for when its needed so getting things bit by bit, i recon middle of next year i'll be ready to build.

Associate
Is this thread still alive? because i have a question:- I have just bought an inno3d GTX 980 ti hybrid black,

I just got an Msi 6g 980ti really chuffed with it. its boosting to 1329 which is good and its a beast compared to my old 970..
Ive been looking at water cooling mine but with yours is there any point? as said above would it be worth it as every possibility it wont run any cooler.

Associate
I just got an Msi 6g 980ti really chuffed with it. its boosting to 1329 which is good and its a beast compared to my old 970..
Ive been looking at water cooling mine but with yours is there any point? as said above would it be worth it as every possibility it wont run any cooler.

Well done on the MSI, i have always found them a good make, did you get it at a good price?.
Its not really about cooling with a custom loop, I mean you only gain a couple of degree's and anyway my card doesn't hardly get warm even under heavy gaming. No its all about the individual look and the fact you can alter or add to any part of the system, for example i cant add another hybrid to my system as it is now because no space for another radiator, in a custom loop you just bend a few extra pipes pipes connect them up, refill and away you go. But to be honest its the WOW factor, No system looks as impressive as a custom cooled one. I also like it that you can top it up anytime you like and change the fluids colour when you get bored with it.

Associate
Well done on the MSI, i have always found them a good make, did you get it at a good price?.
Its not really about cooling with a custom loop, I mean you only gain a couple of degree's and anyway my card doesn't hardly get warm even under heavy gaming. No its all about the individual look and the fact you can alter or add to any part of the system, for example i cant add another hybrid to my system as it is now because no space for another radiator, in a custom loop you just bend a few extra pipes pipes connect them up, refill and away you go. But to be honest its the WOW factor, No system looks as impressive as a custom cooled one. I also like it that you can top it up anytime you like and change the fluids colour when you get bored with it.
Yea My misses managed to get me it for £220 so was well chuffed with her. Ive always preffered the Msi cards my self I had the Msi 970 and also still have a Msi TF 7950 in use..
the inno3d GTX 980 ti hybrid black edition also looks a cracking card. Its a bit bling but looks as if it should stay cool.
are you considering sli? wouldn't it be better to go up to a 1080 or even a 1080ti and have 1 strong card rather than 2 in sli?
I had 2 970's in Sli they were great for benchmarks and some games.. I found only a few games worked and most of them didint.
there is also the extra power, heat and noise to consider..

Associate
Wow you got a good misses, my ex's idea of a good present for me was a washing machine. Anyway back to 980 ti's good price £220 , Mine was £299 open box. I don't know whether i will go SLI or not, depends on when my next build comes together and how much spare cash i have, i mean 2-300 for a second 980 that's half of what a 1080 is, maybe they will have a 1180 or something by then.

Associate
Wow you got a good misses, my ex's idea of a good present for me was a washing machine. Anyway back to 980 ti's good price £220 , Mine was £299 open box. I don't know whether i will go SLI or not, depends on when my next build comes together and how much spare cash i have, i mean 2-300 for a second 980 that's half of what a 1080 is, maybe they will have a 1180 or something by then.
yea she's a keeper even gets her hands dirty and gives me a hand with the car. Ive had her helping me change engines in the past lol .

yea I went from a 970 to the 980ti it was a fair jump in performance.
I would like to try a 980ti SLI set up just to see how much a difference it would make but don't think I would keep them unless they were on a custom loop.
the 970's in SLI were superb in the games they worked in and were strong in benchmarks but I couldn't live with the noise off 2 cards during gaming.

Soldato
Totally loving my 980ti, it's a big step up from my 970 even at 1080p on my 144hz monitor, GTA V just feels sooo much smoother now!

Do the Zotac cards light up? My AMP edition looks like it should have a LED light but I don't know for sure :p

Associate
Totally loving my 980ti, it's a big step up from my 970 even at 1080p on my 144hz monitor, GTA V just feels sooo much smoother now!

Do the Zotac cards light up? My AMP edition looks like it should have a LED light but I don't know for sure :p

Im the same I'm well chuffed with the jump in performance from the 970 to the 980ti. Im also running at 1080p on a 144hz monitor. ( ive been looking at a bigger monitor but think ill stay with 1080p )

Ive not tried Gta V yet with the 980ti im needing to reinstall it but holding off until my internet gets upgraded tomorrow.
Im looking forward to trying it out in Gta V. ( also looking forward to my internet getting upgraded!!) I don't think the Zotac cards do light up.

Soldato
Im the same I'm well chuffed with the jump in performance from the 970 to the 980ti. Im also running at 1080p on a 144hz monitor. ( ive been looking at a bigger monitor but think ill stay with 1080p )

Ive not tried Gta V yet with the 980ti im needing to reinstall it but holding off until my internet gets upgraded tomorrow.
Im looking forward to trying it out in Gta V. ( also looking forward to my internet getting upgraded!!) I don't think the Zotac cards do light up.

If you're coming from a 970, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :) I was able to near enough max everything out (except grass) and get over 100fps for the most part.

Associate
If you're coming from a 970, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :) I was able to near enough max everything out (except grass) and get over 100fps for the most part.
yea I had the MSI Gtx 970 4g and have went to the MSI 980ti 6g..
Its strange looking in my system only difference that jumps out is the GPU now has a backplate. the 980ti is a bit longer and wider than the 970 though.

before
20170509_144609_zpsb8eat7cy.jpg

after
WP_20170606_14_59_58_Pro_zpsiuua0pwz.jpg

not as much sag on the GPU now but I think that's down to the backplate

Last edited:
Soldato
Well my 980ti went back to Overclockers as it died 2 months before the Warranty period was up, seems as if they've sent it back to Manli though for Repair/Replacement, anyone have any experience in the turn around time?

I'm really hoping I get one back as with the refund I'd probably get (minus adjustment) I won't get anywhere near it for the money.

Associate
Well my 980ti went back to Overclockers as it died 2 months before the Warranty period was up, seems as if they've sent it back to Manli though for Repair/Replacement, anyone have any experience in the turn around time?

I'm really hoping I get one back as with the refund I'd probably get (minus adjustment) I won't get anywhere near it for the money.

they might replace it with a newer card thats what EVGA and gigabyte do if they have none the same in stock. would probably be a 1070

Soldato
Can anyone help, I'm using EVGA Precision to monitor power consumption and the idle clock speed @ 1080p - 60 to 120hz is 135mhz which means 10-12% power consumption. At 144hz I guess 135mhz isn't enough and it kicks it up to 800mhz resulting in 44% idle power consumption. Is there a way to change this? Kick the idle clock up to 200mhz?

Soldato
Could try reinstalling drivers ticking the clean install box. At 1440P 144Hz my 980Ti idles at 135MHz. Though I'm sure in the past it has idled at the wrong speed and reinstalling driver fixed it. Also if you are running 2 screens then your idle clocks will be higher.

Back
Top Bottom