• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
Could try reinstalling drivers ticking the clean install box. At 1440P 144Hz my 980Ti idles at 135MHz. Though I'm sure in the past it has idled at the wrong speed and reinstalling driver fixed it. Also if you are running 2 screens then your idle clocks will be higher.
I clean installed the drivers and it made no difference. I'm using two monitors and they're both dvi so the 2nd monitor is converted to dvi from display port. The conversion might increase power consumption and the 2nd monitor is at 1080p but can only run @60hz.
If there's just some way of controlling these idle speeds or preventing the jump to 800mhz by adding in a 300mhz step for example.

Soldato
2nd monitor will be what's increasing idle clocks then. I have my TV connected to my PC, as soon as I extend desktop to it idle clocks go to 915MHz. Dunno if there is a way to reduce idle clocks with 2 monitors on.

Soldato
Yeah that'll be it. It's just crazy it's more than quadrupling the clock speed for 24hz extra. There has to be a way of controlling this, surely people have faced this before.

Soldato
So with the whole price craze at the moment, I managed to secure an MSI 980ti Armor 2X for £280 which looking at the prices new, isn't a bad deal!

Sold my GTX 970 Strix to my younger brother to be used in his new PC (he plays at 1080p so fine for him) so it's not cost me too much at all.

What are the temps like for a 980ti? My PC has airflow only but I've never had issues with the 970.

Associate
What are the temps like for a 980ti? My PC has airflow only but I've never had issues with the 970.

Ive got the Msi gaming 980ti came from the gaming 970 and being honest idle wise in my case they are the same. around 28c ( custom fan curve ) and while gaming I find it a few c lower than the 970. this might just be my experiance due to my fan curve but im happy with it.

Soldato
So with the whole price craze at the moment, I managed to secure an MSI 980ti Armor 2X for £280 which looking at the prices new, isn't a bad deal!

Sold my GTX 970 Strix to my younger brother to be used in his new PC (he plays at 1080p so fine for him) so it's not cost me too much at all.

I've got a Zotac 980Ti Amp! Edition which runs at around 30 degrees when idling, and about 64 degrees under full load. I could probably get those temps lower with a more aggressive fan curve, but it does the trick for now. My case airflow is poor so it's doing well to maintain those temps!

Soldato
So got it this morning and all installed and idle is around 50c and max temp is 75c (ish).

Had to remove the NVIDIA drivers after first installing the card as I had issues with low FPS but after removing the drivers and re-installing, I'm seeing much better FPS.

Gaming at 1080p so the 980ti is a tad overkill at the moment but looking to get a 1400p monitor soon!

Associate
So got it this morning and all installed and idle is around 50c and max temp is 75c (ish).

Had to remove the NVIDIA drivers after first installing the card as I had issues with low FPS but after removing the drivers and re-installing, I'm seeing much better FPS.

Gaming at 1080p so the 980ti is a tad overkill at the moment but looking to get a 1400p monitor soon!
you running standard fan curve? mines is sitting at 28 at the moment and even running valley my max is 72c and that was it overclocked.

Im also at 1080p 144hz but looking for a new monitor soon.

Soldato
Yes, standard curve at the moment but ambient temp is relatively high where I live and my airflow isn't the greatest in the world!

Not sure if it's bad optimization but not seeing the FPS I expected. Have a 4670 (non-K) so would that cause any kind of bottleneck?

Associate
you running standard fan curve? mines is sitting at 28 at the moment and even running valley my max is 72c and that was it overclocked.

Im also at 1080p 144hz but looking for a new monitor soon.

Pretty much the same temps here with an OC Gigabyte G1. I do have a Coolermaster HAF 932 however, the airflow afforded by the 23cm fans is ridiculous!

Associate
Yes, standard curve at the moment but ambient temp is relatively high where I live and my airflow isn't the greatest in the world!

Not sure if it's bad optimization but not seeing the FPS I expected. Have a 4670 (non-K) so would that cause any kind of bottleneck?
what games you tried and what sort of fps are you getting? Have you tried running valley?

Soldato
I've got a Zotac d 980Ti Amp! Edition which runs at around 30 degrees when idling, and about 64 degrees under full load. I could probably get those temps lower with a more aggressive fan curve, but it does the trick for now. My case airflow is poor so it's doing well to maintain those temps!

Mine are exactly the same as these. no custome fan curve but only goes to 55% when at load. I have great case airflow and clean my PC once a month.

Associate
I'm sorry to revive a dead thread however I'll be picking up an evga SC acx 2.0 backplate Ti this evening for £50. Sold as faulty but I'm confident I'll get it to work... exciting :D this will be my 6th different version I've had of this card. Love the 980 Ti I do

Soldato
I'm sorry to revive a dead thread however I'll be picking up an evga SC acx 2.0 backplate Ti this evening for £50. Sold as faulty but I'm confident I'll get it to work... exciting :D this will be my 6th different version I've had of this card. Love the 980 Ti I do

Still a good card. No issues on my son's pc @1080p but it's struggling a little on my 1440p so I'm starting to save up for something newer

Soldato

Be interested to see how you get on :).

Managed to get a really cheap EVGA 1080 recently which I’m in the process of repairing for a spare card.

Only issue I’ve found with EVGA cards in the past is if something decides to short there aren't any fuses on the board so they tend to just keep going until the component and pad in question is a pile of ash.

Back
Top Bottom