• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX Titan X owners thread.

Soldato
Have I missed a post? I thought you'd bolted on that piece of scaffolding to it and it now ran cool and quiet?

i removed it and returned it to stock, but i modified the Arctic cooler soon after, but it'll need a support to stop the Board sagging and RAM coolers as well, so i cant refit it till thursday.

Last edited:
Soldato
You've bodged the stock cooler on a £900 card?

RIP Warranty and resale value.

no.......the stock cooler is untouched, i've modified the Arctic cooler only, the 980 Water cooled backplate fits TX so that can be used to stop the GPU sagging, if i decide to re-use the Arctic cooler.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
no.......the stock cooler is untouched, i've modified the Arctic cooler only, the 980 Water cooled backplate fits TX so that can be used to stop the GPU sagging, if i decide to re-use the Arctic cooler.

Don't use a 980 backplate on the TitanX

The 980 does not have VRAM chips on the back that needs cooling.:eek:

Soldato
Has anyone compared the performance at 4K of two Titan X cards with a single Titan X paired with a Gsync monitor? I'm strongly considering the former but wondering if the latter might be a more cost-effective solution.

Soldato
Don't use a 980 backplate on the TitanX

The 980 does not have VRAM chips on the back that needs cooling.:eek:

i have thick thermal pads from the Arctic cooler and RAM Passive heatsinks for the other side of the board, the only thing you have to be very careful about is a short circuit, so the backplate has to have a gap underneath it.... the Arctic cooler backplate has exactly the same issues, because that cooler isn't designed for the Titan X either.......so you dont just slap the cooler on.

it's a bit of fun and it works very well, but do i want to keep fooling around with it if the 390X is due in mid june ????????????

Soldato
Are there, or is there going to be any back plates that work with the stock cooler?

YES, the 980/ Titan X backplate fits a stock Titan X as well :eek: ............but it needs to be the Reference version only

they say it wont because they need to cover themselves, just in case somebody is stupid enough to short circuit it, because if you intend to fit a backplate to a stock Titan X you'll need to make sure that you have a 3mm gap between the plate and board, so you'll need very thick thermal pads.....do not let the plate touch the components on the back.

the reference 980 uses the same cooler as TX, so the holes line up

the stock grey Nvidia thermal pads are useless, they're way too thin, you'll need 4mm thick

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have a 180mm Silverstone AP182 blowing over the rear of the card which already cools the chips well, I measured them using an IR gun after playing for a while and they were under 100c. I only want a backplate to make it look a bit cleaner and to stop it from sagging in the future.

Soldato
I am profoundly jealous of you all. I had to wait 3 weeks for my TX and it failed almost immediately. :( And now I have to wait 2 weeks for the replacement. :(

<Sob, sniff> :)

(None of this is OCUK's fault, of course.)

Back
Top Bottom