The increasing incompetence of companies

Soldato
I live in the bottom end of some maisonettes. Lights are owned by property management company. The bollard light by my car space was clobbered by, probably by a courier van as different colour paint to mine and previous neighbour. I wasn’t parked there at the time. Then in the past 3 weeks the other two lights by my home have gone. So it’s completely dark. Reported the lights.

Lights require power switching off before light bulbs are changed - main switch is located in the bin store, which myself and the other flats/maisonettes used before council moved from bags collection to bins. PMC have changed the bin store lock code. As to prevent tenants dumping stuff inside (well it’s not stopping one tenant fly tipping outside the store….) and I tried the two previous codes with the contractor just in case PMC decided to revert back to one of them. Nope.

Contractor has requested to PMC that they need the code. They are being awkward about this. Why? Just either give the contractor the code or PMC officer does it themselves and come back later in the day to switch power back on.

It’s horrible having no lights on. Having to resort to flashlight on phone to navigate.

Now it’s Easter weekend and unable to contact PMC till Tuesday.

Is there anyway of raising this further?

Soldato
I live in the bottom end of some maisonettes. Lights are owned by property management company. The bollard light by my car space was clobbered by, probably by a courier van as different colour paint to mine and previous neighbour. I wasn’t parked there at the time. Then in the past 3 weeks the other two lights by my home have gone. So it’s completely dark. Reported the lights.

Lights require power switching off before light bulbs are changed - main switch is located in the bin store, which myself and the other flats/maisonettes used before council moved from bags collection to bins. PMC have changed the bin store lock code. As to prevent tenants dumping stuff inside (well it’s not stopping one tenant fly tipping outside the store….) and I tried the two previous codes with the contractor just in case PMC decided to revert back to one of them. Nope.

Contractor has requested to PMC that they need the code. They are being awkward about this. Why? Just either give the contractor the code or PMC officer does it themselves and come back later in the day to switch power back on.

It’s horrible having no lights on. Having to resort to flashlight on phone to navigate.

Now it’s Easter weekend and unable to contact PMC till Tuesday.

How many incompetent ******* does it take to change a lightbulb?

Not really related but feel your pain. At work they have some fancy pants lighting system where all of the lights are powered by PoE. Since moving in to the new office 3 years ago there has been constant problems and it takes ages to fix it. Why do we need bloody PoE lights!?!?

Last edited:
Soldato
An increasing amount of people these days seem to have no problems lying, cheating, and stealing.

They seem less interested in the customers they are supposed to be serving.

Associate
An increasing amount of people these days seem to have no problems lying, cheating, and stealing.

Whilst a bigger population equals more of those people, i think naturally as towns are compressed and squeezed with new housing and consequently surrounded by more people, the 'city attitude' becomes the norm. But also the general attitude to others tends to be negative as a local friendly face will be less common now. You could recognise a person previously and say hello, yet never know their name. Now noticing the same people is less of chance as people are overwhelmed with strangers on their doorstep. Noticing the negative people more than good people i expect is a defence mechanism for us

The biggest reason however is lightly the mere negative environment of social media and the news 24/7 and not my waffle above :p

Soldato
Whilst a bigger population equals more of those people, i think naturally as towns are compressed and squeezed with new housing and consequently surrounded by more people, the 'city attitude' becomes the norm. But also the general attitude to others tends to be negative as a local friendly face will be less common now. You could recognise a person previously and say hello, yet never know their name. Now noticing the same people is less of chance as people are overwhelmed with strangers on their doorstep. Noticing the negative people more than good people i expect is a defence mechanism for us

The biggest reason however is lightly the mere negative environment of social media and the news 24/7 and not my waffle above :p
I agree with your post.

I think it comes down to that we have less in common with the stranger than we once did.

Sometimes even an assumption of knowing someone is a good thing.

Caporegime
I live in the bottom end of some maisonettes. Lights are owned by property management company. The bollard light by my car space was clobbered by, probably by a courier van as different colour paint to mine and previous neighbour. [...]

[...]

Probably not much you can do short term re: trivial maintenance issue being slow to fix.

One point though; I doubt the lights are "owned" by the property management company, they're owned by the freeholder which is usually separate and appoints the management company.

The way to stop this sort of thing in future is for residents to invoke the right to self-manage - that means you have an AGM, resident directors etc. and more importantly the property management company becomes an agent for you! They work for you and they can be sacked and a different property management company contracted instead if desired.

In that situation, it's not even up to them whether you (or perhaps a resident director) is given the code - a resident director can just require them to give you the code.

Associate
Anyone else had dealings with Sony at all,Wow their customer support is shocking bad,They do NOT read the support ticket,They reply with what i assume is generic pre-typed solutions off a screen and hit submit and even their replies make no sense to the subject lol...absolutely useless,Will NOT buy any of their products ever again.

I stopped buying from Sony and Samsung for this reason.

Soldato
I agree with your post.

I think it comes down to that we have less in common with the stranger than we once did.

Sometimes even an assumption of knowing wsomeone is a good thing.
Some people’s contribution to the local area is paying council tax! I don’t know the name of one of my neighbours and if he comes into my work - I wouldn’t recognise him.

Soldato
Probably not much you can do short term re: trivial maintenance issue being slow to fix.

One point though; I doubt the lights are "owned" by the property management company, they're owned by the freeholder which is usually separate and appoints the management company.

The way to stop this sort of thing in future is for residents to invoke the right to self-manage - that means you have an AGM, resident directors etc. and more importantly the property management company becomes an agent for you! They work for you and they can be sacked and a different property management company contracted instead if desired.

In that situation, it's not even up to them whether you (or perhaps a resident director) is given the code - a resident director can just require them to give you the code.
Doubt that will happen as half the properties are social housing. One tenant thinks it’s ok to screw up her baby’s nappies into balls using the remaining stickiness and toss on the car park. Yet she thinks I’m disgusting for reporting her. Erm SHE IS THE disgusting one!

Soldato
OP
I've still not had this PCN... it was apparently generated at the end of December, posted out 9th January, my lease company haven't had anything through, DART can't tell me any details because it's not in my name, so now need to wait until it is re-issued after 28 days, and hope it turns up this time. Utter jokers :rolleyes:

Still no progress on this.

Lease company still know nothing about it, but last time I spoke to Dart I managed to find out they've (apparently) sent out 3 reminders, it's now at over £100 per crossing, and getting sent to debt recovery.

Not sure who's at fault here, someone has obviously ****ed up somewhere, as I can understand one PCN getting lost in the post, but 3 seems unlikely!

Dart have seemed utterly incompetent every time I've spoken to them, whilst the lease company seem pretty on the ball. I've asked them to confirm the car is definitely registered to their correct address, but got a feeling I'm going to have a fight on my hands when it finally does come through to me :(

Will give them the monthly call next week to see if there are any further updates.

Logging all my calls etc. to them (almost 30 now), so they're going to be getting a massive bill if they decide to be **** about it (I'm thinking £20 a call seems reasonable :p).

Got plenty of evidence I've tried to pay them and they've been deliberately obstructive, so fairly confident in the outcome if it comes to the point I need to go down the legal route if they start chasing me for stupid money (I've already told them I'm more than happy to pay the crossing amount plus a reasonable admin fee)

Last edited:
Soldato
Some people’s contribution to the local area is paying council tax! I don’t know the name of one of my neighbours and if he comes into my work - I wouldn’t recognise him.
Exactly, there is no community.

Individualism is destroying society. We've gradually gone downhill since the 90s.

Associate
I had so many problems, I constantly writing complaints. I am sick of these companies that you pay for a service and you don't receive the service they advertise.

For example why I am stressing, I learnt that its really their problem.

When I order stuff if it is not delivered to my door I just fire off a quick email with the picture of the what the delivery driver took.
There no much they can do.

I was told once by a delivery company why can't I walk over and pick it up. My response why can't you pick it up and redelivery it to my door.

I have now a template of emails. I just fill in order number and attach the picture. it now takes less than a minute to fire a delivery complaint email.

Last edited:
Associate
Still no progress on this.

Lease company still know nothing about it, but last time I spoke to Dart I managed to find out they've (apparently) sent out 3 reminders, it's now at over £100 per crossing, and getting sent to debt recovery.

Not sure who's at fault here, someone has obviously ****ed up somewhere, as I can understand one PCN getting lost in the post, but 3 seems unlikely!

Dart have seemed utterly incompetent every time I've spoken to them, whilst the lease company seem pretty on the ball. I've asked them to confirm the car is definitely registered to their correct address, but got a feeling I'm going to have a fight on my hands when it finally does come through to me :(

Will give them the monthly call next week to see if there are any further updates.

Logging all my calls etc. to them (almost 30 now), so they're going to be getting a massive bill if they decide to be **** about it (I'm thinking £20 a call seems reasonable :p).

Got plenty of evidence I've tried to pay them and they've been deliberately obstructive, so fairly confident in the outcome if it comes to the point I need to go down the legal route if they start chasing me for stupid money (I've already told them I'm more than happy to pay the crossing amount plus a reasonable admin fee)
I would advise forget about calling. Just email them, this way you have documented evidence. And if they don't reply it makes your case stronger.

We have a communal water and it wasn't working. I have been firing emails to them with no response. I just resent the emails now. Going to take them to small claims soon, but I need to show they haven't responded. I only had one response and nothing more

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I would advise forget about calling. Just email them, this way you have documented evidence. And if they don't reply it makes your case stronger.

We have a communal water and it wasn't working. I have been firing emails to them with no response. I just resent the emails now. Going to take them to small claims soon, but I need to show they haven't responded. I only had one response and nothing more

There's no email address unfortunately, just an online form, which based on my experience I can only assume gets sent to an unmonitored mailbox and automatically closed after a couple of weeks

Soldato
There's no email address unfortunately, just an online form, which based on my experience I can only assume gets sent to an unmonitored mailbox and automatically closed after a couple of weeks
Snail mail, sent recorded delivery, to complaints / recoveries dept. As above, a documented trail will ensure you aint rinsed down the road under the guise of "being incommunicado".

Back
Top Bottom