The increasing incompetence of companies

Soldato
I wonder how many councils across the UK would be added to this thread, were they a company!
I live alone and I claim a single person discount. Late last year I got a letter from the council saying they reguarly reviewed the cases of people claiming discounts on the council tax and their data company (Experian) had supplied them with possible evidence that suggested I was falsely claiming the discount. This was rubbish and so I contacted the council to ask them for the evidence as it was blatantly incorrect. I thought perhaps the Experian systems had found something from a previous occupant and not matched the time stamps properly. The council took ages to reply and eventually suggested I contact Experian.

Experian kept asking me for either "eight-digit reference number or your twelve-digit customer number". A bit difficult when I haven't applied to Experian for anything and Experian have done some (faulty) data matching on me. Experian even had the cheek to say, "Due to General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), any details relating to the data we returned could only be provided directly to Local Governments and public sector partners, and I am unable to provide you with any information relating to any another individuals.". So Experian screwed up matching some data, apparently because they "had identified 2 individuals are your address." but refused to give me an indication as to what this data was so I could correct it. Both the council and Experian took weeks between emails to reply to me and just sent me generic twaddle. I kept going because being accused of financial fraud isn't something I particularly want on my CV!

I think the council decided in the end to drop the claim about 2 people living with me, which would have made my SPD claim invalid, because of how persistent I was in finding out what data they and Experian held on me; they realised they'd got it wrong but rather than admit it and apologise they just dropped it. I still don't know what data Experian matched but it was wrong and the council were absolutely pathetic in helping me sort it out. Had the council sent me a letter asking me to confirm I was still happy to claim the SPD and that making a false claim could be fraudulent I'd have happily signed the form. But because Experian "matched some data", got it completely wrong, the council sent me a letter effectively accusing me of committing fraud I spent weeks waiting for information on this so I could correct the record. Absolute shower and my mood got worse every time the council or Experian sent me a generic reply.

Soldato
Exactly, there is no community.

Individualism is destroying society. We've gradually gone downhill since the 90s.

Not all of us want to make "friends" with random people who happen to live near by.

It's not individualism, it's the fact that friends live in various parts of a city (in my case) or country.

Soldato
Not all of us want to make "friends" with random people who happen to live near by.

It's not individualism, it's the fact that friends live in various parts of a city (in my case) or country.
I'm not talking about being friends. I'm talking about the stranger.

When more people shared a common cultural history it becomes easier to have an understanding from the other person's view.

For example if me and you went to the same social club. But had never spoken before, we'd have some connection. We'd both assume that the other person is going to do their best because we have a shared history.

But if our paths had never crossed before we'd naturally be more guarded towards each other.

Some people still champion individualism. This is the consequence of that. A lack of tolerance for each other.

Soldato
When more people shared a common cultural history it becomes easier to have an understanding from the other person's view.

Problem is that parts of the UK are very multi-cultural, and many of those communities prefer to keep their previous cultures.

What shared cultural history is there when you have a local community that has people form India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, UK, Russia, Ukraine, Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Poland, Romania, France, Spain, Turkey, and so on, parts of Africa, etc.

You can "maybe" have some common European culture between the UK + western EU groups, maybe common British culture between the UK and GK groups, but how do you find a common culture across all these groups?

Soldato
I live in the building/area where I live not because of some sort of roots in this area, but because it's close to work, is "nice" and is something that I can afford.

One day I might change jobs, and might decide that I want to live somewhere else that's closer to that work.

I'm also renting, and one day the landlord might decide that they want to put the price and I'll have to move.
Or maybe I decide to buy a place - and therefore need to move.

Even when I buy a place... there's no guarantee that I'll live long term there in case I need to move for work for example.

Take the above story - and it probably applies to many people.

We live in a very different world now - people don't stay in a single job their whole life; people don't spend their whole life with their first girlfriend/boyfriend who they met at the age of 14; people don't go into their family's line of work.

The old/nostalgic idea of "community" simply doesn't apply in the same way to the modern world.

Caporegime
Doubt that will happen as half the properties are social housing. One tenant thinks it’s ok to screw up her baby’s nappies into balls using the remaining stickiness and toss on the car park. Yet she thinks I’m disgusting for reporting her. Erm SHE IS THE disgusting one!

Yikes, lol.

It can still happen if there are separate blocks but if not and the social housing people are mingled in with all the other properties in the same blocks etc.. then that's unfortunate.

Like where I live there are a couple of social housing blocks that had to be built as part of the approval for the development but they're separately managed by the housing association that owns them, for my block and the others we have our own management company for each block (an entity owned by the leaseholders) and a management company for the site as a whole (smaller, separate service charge that the housing association has to contribute towards too) and there is an appointed agent/property management company to run day to day stuff - we have a caretaker, concierge on-site in the day/security guard at night, gardeners visiting weekly etc.

It really does need to be separately managed - this of course generates headlines about "poor doors" where the social housing is in the same building (a single tower block) but has to use a different entrance (obviously the housing association doesn't want to pay for a fancy reception and other stuff). Or when there are separate blocks but the social housing people are kicking off because they have one garden/play area and aren't allowed to use the wealthier people's one that they feel entitled to simply because they can see it from their flats... or even moaning that they can't have access to the big silly swimming pool bridge spanning two buildings thingie one developer created.

Soldato
OP
I live in the building/area where I live not because of some sort of roots in this area, but because it's close to work, is "nice" and is something that I can afford.

One day I might change jobs, and might decide that I want to live somewhere else that's closer to that work.

I'm also renting, and one day the landlord might decide that they want to put the price and I'll have to move.
Or maybe I decide to buy a place - and therefore need to move.

Even when I buy a place... there's no guarantee that I'll live long term there in case I need to move for work for example.

Take the above story - and it probably applies to many people.

We live in a very different world now - people don't stay in a single job their whole life; people don't spend their whole life with their first girlfriend/boyfriend who they met at the age of 14; people don't go into their family's line of work.

The old/nostalgic idea of "community" simply doesn't apply in the same way to the modern world.

You've pretty much just proved his point. Just because you have no "roots" in the area, and may move away at some point, doesn't stop you from being part of the community, getting to know your neighbours and other people around.

It seems very strange to decide you don't want to get to know people just because you might not be there forever.

It seems to be a very British thing (or at least a Southern English thing), maybe something to do with being an island? Whenever I've been to various countries on the continent I've had a far warmer interactions from "strangers".

Edit: just seen your location. Says it all really. London is a vile place for any kind of human interaction, everyone seems dead inside, and look as if they want to kill you if you so much as dare to make eye contact :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It still does apply in religious communities, even those who are only culturally religious.

I saw this situation starting to happen in the 90s when I was at college.

At the first lunch time in the canteen along the wall was a big group of Muslim students, all chatting away, laughing and joking. I thought maybe they all had come from the same school so knew each other before. I found out later that it was there first day and nobody knew each other.

As I made that observation I looked around the canteen to find somewhere to sit. All I saw were single white people sitting alone at different tables.

I knew back then that the British* white community was on a downward spiral. We're being gutted from the inside. We probably can relate to people of other religions and cultures better than we can relate to someone who as likely lived a similar life to us.

*I typed British because white people of a foreign background recognise their similar heritage, just as British people living in Spain feel they are in a community.

If people are going to sack off religion then it needs a substitute, otherwise there is no where we belong to.

If there was a power cut that lasted a month there would be a lot of sad lonely people sitting in their homes with no one.

Soldato
At the first lunch time in the canteen along the wall was a big group of Muslim students, all chatting away, laughing and joking. I thought maybe they all had come from the same school so knew each other before. I found out later that it was there first day and nobody knew each other.

It's funny - you view what happened here as a good thing.

I actually view it as a negative, as it's a sign of people not integrating into the UK society if they are only comfortable to mix within their own ethnic group.

Soldato
It's funny - you view what happened here as a good thing.

I actually view it as a negative, as it's a sign of people not integrating into the UK society if they are only comfortable to mix within their own ethnic group.
I think because I take not integrating generally as a given. Most groups of people don't integrate.

The college I was at was in Tameside, though I come from Oldham. I've been to Oldham college too. The situation was even more stark there. Though at that college I was one of the few who could sit down with the Muslims as I had 2 Muslim friends from my school attending at the same time.

All the communities generally live parallel to each other. Interaction only generally happens in communal places were people have to interact.

I remember having a conversation with a Muslim friend at the time. He said if he talks to another Muslim he can make certain assumptions based off religion and culture. But if he's talking to a white person he can't make any assumption as he's no point of reference. He doesn't know what is their world view. So he avoids non-Muslims unless he sees in actions and words what they are like.

If we don't know someone then we have to assume the worse.

Last edited:
Associate
There's no email address unfortunately, just an online form, which based on my experience I can only assume gets sent to an unmonitored mailbox and automatically closed after a couple of weeks

There is always an email address for a company.
Phone them up or look on their website. I once got an email address emailing the site admin using who is.
There is always an email you just need to look for it.
The online form does it send you an email after you filled it in.

Last edited:
Soldato
That right there is proof of why "community" is failing in the UK - multi-culturalism, that's your culprit.
So, in that story, the 'white British' people were all refusing to interact with each other regardless - but it's the Muslims fault for speaking to each other?

It really is true, people see what they want to see.

Soldato
There are multiple factors at play here.

However, you shouldn't hail the lack of integration of one ethnic group as a positive thing.

Soldato
OP
There are multiple factors at play here.

However, you shouldn't hail the lack of integration of one ethnic group as a positive thing.

I'm not sure "Londoners" count as an ethnic group... :p

Who in the thread has hailed it as a positive thing? Your obvious prejudice is making you seeing things which aren't even there :confused:

Do you not see the irony of complaining about people refusing to integrate, whilst yourself refusing to integrate?

Anyway, this is going way off topic!

There is always an email address for a company.
Phone them up or look on their website. I once got an email address emailing the site admin using who is.
There is always an email you just need to look for it.
The online form does it send you an email after you filled it in.

There's nothing on the website except for the online form, I do have a couple of (automated) emails from them, I'll see if any of those actually go somewhere when I get a chance to go on the pc

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dart finally sent the PCNs through to me, only close to a full 7 months later.

Sum total of £5 since it was my first crossing (and following this debacle, certainly the last! :mad:).

No idea why they couldn't just use the £5 I originally paid them 2 days after crossing, god knows how many hours of people's time wasted because nobody has the capacity to actually use their brain, and instead just blindly follow "the process" because "computer says no" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom