1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Discussion in 'Pedal Powered' started by randomshenans, Nov 16, 2016.

1. AndyCr15

Capodecina

I was wondering this. The paid features aren't all that important to me. If they added running to it (which is perhaps unlikely) I wouldn't bother with Zwift. As it is, I like to log my treadmill running at the gym through Zwift with the runpod on my shoe passing the info.

2. bimbleuk

Wise Guy

Sadly if you look at the graphics at 10:12 in that YT video that is the level of the graphics for some of the routes with the occasional section being more populated. Closer up with a screen in front of you you will see the lower textures and glitchy terrain modelling. Zwift has been gradually populating whole regions with more lighting and atmospheric affects. At least I can see that with a dedicated GTX 1050 Ti in my HP i5 Deskpro. They just need to add more real routes to be king!

I've been trying every 6 months or so and the interface has vastly improved becoming very close to Zwift with the basic functionality (my NEO worked perfectly apart from lowering the climb setting to 50-60% like in Zwift) but lacking the other rider info. Mainly because there's still very few people on it still. I went from an 1100 people ride round Yorkshire to maybe 20 people on the entire Stelvio climb in RGT.

I will still keep trying but the premium upgrades don't interest me so there's no reason for me to subscribe as Zwift is plenty as it is. I do keep thinking of stopping Zwift during simmer anyway and just re-subscribe for winter training.

<EDIT> I went back to RGT and tried another route today and to be fair the current rides vary in quality and Stelvio isn't the best example. The coast ride I tried was much more detailed just with more simplistic lighting and flat textures. Apart from that it was nice to ride another route rather than repeating Zwift all the time.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  3. SPG

Soldato

SO my mistake, to use the training peaks feature you need the subscription service, not a problem due to the free C19 status, alas i needed to get my session in and did not have to time to wait.

That being said they have sent the free code and its ready to go, next big ride is the weekend so will try it out then :)

4. Lethal`

Mobster

I rode Wiggle Hell of Hexham on Tuesday on Rouvy. Pretty good video quality really. I found it engaging enough to keep the tempo up on some of the "climbs". Looks like a nice area to ride. Think I'll try Sufferfest or RGT next.

5. AndyCr15

Capodecina

I won a rather large voucher for a new bike, I'm really tempted to use it on a Stages Smart Trainer. The only place it would really fit is my garage, which has no power. Does anyone use a generator to power a trainer and have any comments on their experience?

6. mrthingyx

Man of Honour

It would probably be cheaper to run a hokey link up from your house, tbh.

Or get a Tacx Neo Bike which doesn't need power to operate (it does for powered USB features and downhill freewheeling, but everything else seems to work quite happily).

7. Lethal`

Mobster

I just ran a 30m cable reel to the shed.

8. AndyCr15

Capodecina

My garage is about... 40m to 60m I would say, and would then have to sprawl across a shared garden and I'd have to pass it through a hedge. I can find 50m cables, I guess it's an option, but would be a pain setting up and putting away each time.

9. FishFluff

Soldato

My Kickr delivery has been delayed :'(

Apparently SigmaSports didn't get as many as Wahoo promised them and I'm near the top of the list for the next batch, but they're not sure when that will be. FML.

10. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Ah, I've seen this now. It's like my Tacx Bushido, which I got because it powered itself. I'll watch a few reviews to see if it's as good as the others I guess.

11. SoliD

Capodecina

Back on the turbo after over a month. On my last day of zwift subscription. Just did a sweetspot session up alpe d'zwift rather than get soaked outside. Hope this'll pass quickly. Save me renewing my subscription. Might get my arse in gear to sort my old pc as a dedicated zwift machine though.

12. PermaChanged

Mobster

The last of a Zwift race series that I'm involved in is up the Alp d'Zwift - what have I got myself in to? I've just done a race with the Epic KOM / Radio Tower thrown in and that was bad enough!

13. randomshenans

Capodecina

Oh god you poor *******.

14. Lethal`

Mobster

I gave RGT a go last night. Did the Cap Formentor loop. It seemed alright but definitely some bugs they need to iron out. Startup was fairly smooth but some graphics issues during and at the end my ride summary had zero for all the stats. Strava sync didn't work so I had to get them to email me the file (there's a button.. but bit weird...) and then upload to Strava manually.

[​IMG]

15. Nursie

Sgarrista

I had some problems when i tried RGT yesterday. Did a loop of the American circuit everything seemed ok. Tried the Patterberg loop, the phone app froze, wasn't changing gradient. In the end I had too close the pc app and then it didn't upload to ride.

16. PermaChanged

Mobster

Oh dear god - let's just hope that the route involves coming down it as that's where I caught most people on the Epic KOM race as I'm in the 100kg plus club haha

17. AndyCr15

Capodecina

My first RGT ride right etc to Strava, so did the email option. Two rides since have sync’d fine.

I had this. Make sure you’ve paired up ‘slope’. Mine wouldn’t pair through Bluetooth, but paired fine when I plugged the Ant+ in to my MacBook Pro.

18. Lethal`

Mobster

FWIW I had no issues with gradient changes and didn't actively pair up slope. Using bluetooth on a Mac too...

Though that being said does it actually pair with the RGT Screen app or with the phone? It asked for permission to use BLE on my phone so I suspect it's phone. I was using an Android.

19. randomshenans

Capodecina

Lol
    Agreed dude! I'm there with you and it's what I rely on!!

20. Berger

Capodecina

You’ll need a higher end generator to produce a smoother signal or risk damaging the bike.

Also, the noise & fumes from running it, or with a door open, drawing attention to yourself/security risk?