The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I mainly use it via training peaks so all my virtual cycling is ERG on tbh.

Uploaded some of my local routes, which was quite interesting to compare real life to the same virtual road.

I am hoping the next update will introduce some category racing as for the moment i get dropped within 5 seconds :)

Soldato
RGT is pretty much the same price by the looks of it. I must admit I am getting a bit bored of the heros on Zwift, but the races do really encourage you to give everything you have.

How is the format of RGT different? Is it just riding specific courses (or your own if you do the magic thing), or can you just join in and ride (like you can in Zwift)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It does not have as many routes as zwift but they are all based on real roads and routes with scenery to match.

Its free atm so might as well give it a go, The races are hard no categories as such so i just get whipped as trying to focus on endurance for tri events, but you get proper breakaways due to the better drafting.

Man of Honour
I really want to use RGT more than I currently do, but the training system on Zwift is much better... And as I don't just "go for a ride," RGT is still limited.

I had hoped linking it to some Trainer Road rides would have sorted it out, but apparently not.

Soldato
In what way is Zwift run by *********?

Use live user base to beta test without telling them.
Implement utter BS rather than fix bugs/improve platform.
Roll out updates (aka bugs) on a Friday every time and leave people to live with it all weekend.
Completely ignore the massive community racing on their platform in every way imaginable in preference of user count.
Block the top race teams from entering "invite only" closed off events.
Make no attempt to halt or stop open cheating on their platform.
Do not even have a results/verification platform. They leave that to users/3rd parties to do but then purpose it when it suits them.

Shall I continue? Zwift HQ are the perfect example of a shambles who have accidentally ended up where they are through no proper competition. Their incompetence and constant failings would be the end of most companies yet they plug on and gain momentum because there is nothing better than this monster they have created :)

Soldato
In other news. Second place in the WTRL premier league TTT tonight.
Only 4 of us for over half the course.
It's up there top 5 with the hardest things I have ever had to endure on a bike.
5.5w/kg for 47mins. Pulling 6.5-7.2 on spells and "recovering" at 5. I'm ready to go in the bin.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I really want to use RGT more than I currently do, but the training system on Zwift is much better... And as I don't just "go for a ride," RGT is still limited.

I had hoped linking it to some Trainer Road rides would have sorted it out, but apparently not.

I use training peaks as my container and structured workouts that you pay for or the free ones depending on what my goals are and it links into RGT flawlessly. I guess if you are not following a structured plan over a number of weeks RGT is lacking a little in that department but they are in the APP.

Soldato
I had a crack on RGT this morning, picked the looped course in the US somewhere and just did laps as a steady session. Looks promising! I'd be interested to see what the races are like, and I might have a go at uploading one of my own routes and riding it virtually.

Might be a contender!

Man of Honour
I use training peaks as my container and structured workouts that you pay for or the free ones depending on what my goals are and it links into RGT flawlessly. I guess if you are not following a structured plan over a number of weeks RGT is lacking a little in that department but they are in the APP.

The training schemes in RGT are too long for my particular needs/wants. I basically use Zwift to hammer out over-unders or Tabata intervals and that is it... I have them specced on Trainer Road, but it doesn't pick them up (user error I am sure)...

Soldato
Use live user base to beta test without telling them.
Implement utter BS rather than fix bugs/improve platform.
Roll out updates (aka bugs) on a Friday every time and leave people to live with it all weekend.
Completely ignore the massive community racing on their platform in every way imaginable in preference of user count.
Block the top race teams from entering "invite only" closed off events.
Make no attempt to halt or stop open cheating on their platform.
Do not even have a results/verification platform. They leave that to users/3rd parties to do but then purpose it when it suits them.

Shall I continue? Zwift HQ are the perfect example of a shambles who have accidentally ended up where they are through no proper competition. Their incompetence and constant failings would be the end of most companies yet they plug on and gain momentum because there is nothing better than this monster they have created :)

Good breakdown. Ta.

I've not really followed Zwift too much. Used it once or twice in 2018 with a broken hand. Likely will use it this winter though now I have a turbo.

Soldato
The virtual TDF Zwift was held today. I watched it after on YouTube.

Terrible.

Graphics looked worse than I have at home, there’s absolutely nothing to talk about, you can see some w/kg numbers occasionally which are obviously big. There’s really no idea what’s going on and no atmosphere. At the mercy of whoever is the director so it just swaps views around randomly and displays graphics at random.

Glad I had it on YouTube so I could scroll through rapidly and hope that it improved. It didn’t. Both the women’s and men’s races were dull, impossible to follow and a complete crapshoot.

Soldato
Ive seen posts online saying that using a Turbo Trainer absolutely destroys your rear tyre, is this true? I'm looking at getting one to use on my days off if I can't get out and about, it'll probably be used for 30-60minute sessions - mostly HIIT. Bike is a Boardman CX Comp.

Soldato
Ive seen posts online saying that using a Turbo Trainer absolutely destroys your rear tyre, is this true? I'm looking at getting one to use on my days off if I can't get out and about, it'll probably be used for 30-60minute sessions - mostly HIIT. Bike is a Boardman CX Comp.

It will definitely ruin a road tyre. It will create a flat spot first of all before burning right through it.
You get trainer specific tyres to get around this but it means swapping a tyre all the time if you only have one set of wheels. So the best thing to do is buy a super cheap rear wheel second hand or something and put your trainer tyre on that and simply swap the rear wheel between indoor/outdoor rides.

don't use your decent outdoor wheel and tyre on the trainer. It will knacker the tyre in no time, seriously.

Soldato
I've always been lazy / cheap when using my bike on the turbo, so have never used a trainer specific tyre.

Current rear tyre is a Schwalbe Lugano. I put it on in November and I don't think bike has been off the turbo since then. It's done... <checks Veloviewer>... about 2100km.

Soldato
I did one session on a regular (fairly slick) road tyre and it made quite a mess of it... You could see it had really heated it up and it started to peel and things. Got a trainer specific one, right away!

Associate
I never bothered with a turbo tyre, i'm sure the wear rate is not higher than real road use. You don't want to use any tyre with tread though like a CX tyre...
The distance/pressure has to be correctly adjusted for the contact to be right. One thing to watch out for is if you use the bike outside don't wheel it into the garage as the tyre picks up the cement dust from the floor and will cause slippage, carry the bike in and you'll be fine.

Soldato
Getting back into the Zwift racing even though it’s the middle of summer! 12c and raining all day today!

Did the Italia B grade, 55 starters on the volcano flat course 37km, all B as we started a minute behind A which is good.

First lap not too hard, slow loss of people to about 35-40. Second lap coming out the underwater I throw down a perhaps ill advised attack, ride 5.5ish up the climb and then keep pounding 5w over the top and the dirt to really string it out. Lost some guys but maybe burnt my matches a little much.

Recover through old Italy, then the expected kick up the switchbacks still the volcano. The group split and I put a big effort in to make the front after being a little behind recovering still, but it came back together by the start/finish.

Third lap I’m feeling a touch cooked, then someone suggests we bridge to the A group! Attacks kick off again before the uphill out of the underwater, I manage to make the front while gritting my teeth! Now the speed ramps up as we have gone from 15ish to 30 riders again!

Going up the volcano switchbacks I just popped, I could manage maybe 5w but not the 6-7 I needed to stay on! Someone else dropped and an A Guy, I left the B as he was done for and rode with the A to finish 11th.

On Zwift power I’ve been picking up some good <400 numbers for the last couple of races so the form of the other guys is high.

Sore legs now above the knee & sit bones too, not used to being in the position and pushing that hard for 50 mins!

Back
Top Bottom