The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Anybody run a dual monitor setup with zwift on one screen and a game on another?

From memory zwift needs minimal power, if anyone has a vega 56 with dual screens running zwift and another game on another monitor I'd be keen to know your experience :) or any gpu for that matter.

Edit I know I could run it via apple TV, android etc but saves buying another device as I already have the monitors, just not the trainer yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anybody run a dual monitor setup with zwift on one screen and a game on another?

From memory zwift needs minimal power, if anyone has a vega 56 with dual screens running zwift and another game on another monitor I'd be keen to know your experience :) or any gpu for that matter.

Edit I know I could run it via apple TV, android etc but saves buying another device as I already have the monitors, just not the trainer yet.

I think you will be fine. I have a laptop with nVidia 880M. I run Zwift in windowed on my 32" screen in 1080p and on my laptop screen which is 2560x1440 I often have Youtube full screen with 1080p video, spotify etc.

I'd have no problem running another game on laptop monitor so long as full screen windowed. 880M is powerful but it's way old now. Recent hardware will handle this fine :)

Soldato
This is what I'm planning to do with mine, so I can watch a film/CX/Sports etc with the Zwift stuff on my other monitor, although due to COVID my missus has stolen the cheap monitor I bought pre lockdown for this. I only have a 970 or something I think in my old rig, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Soldato
Arrrrgg RAGE!

Zwift race tonight, warm up fine, get almost 2 mins into the race as it’s kicking off. Game just freezes totally. I keep pedalling but it takes 10-15 seconds to come back and I’m then +10 off the back. Boss it at 5.5w for 2 minutes straight and get 1 second back on the bunch... check the stats after and Zwift has me doing ~180w for that time period when I was doing 300-400 before...

Stop, quit the game and calm down for a minute then do 50 mins easy listening to a podcast.

No idea if it’s my hardware/software/internet/trainer or a Zwift side fault but it’s damn annoying!

Soldato
Ha, welcome to B grade!

It looks like you’re improving pretty quickly, from 3w in June to 3.3-3.4w end of July.
Thanks, yeah have really found my mojo recently and going from strength to strength! Pretty much feel now I'm back to the results and 'ability' I was at with my 'false' or overestimated readings from the Tacx Vortex (FTP @ 270W) but back in B cat with similar results (FTP @ 256W). On the road I'm overall faster and more consistent and feel like I have far 'more' than I did then. Just riding better overall.

I've got 2 race reports to write, but my first Turbocharged race in CAT B came in 34th and the WTRL TTT tonight.
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=974540
https://www.strava.com/activities/3829718583

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=978190

Was pushing myself in the 2 race series in C cat and being quite consistently at the pointy end of 'normal' races for a while. But I think that was even holding me back a little until recently... C cat a little too easy, so I could ride them at tempo/low threshold and not quite enough intensity to progress. While still doing well. But then into a couple of race series, with stronger C cat riders pushing myself harder and getting the intensity have seen a massive jump (for me!) in my power and averages from the same efforts, just more of the similar efforts giving me much higher intensity. Now I'm doing the TTT as well I'm building some large stamina at those same power levels and really pushing myself to do so - which I hadn't got before. I thin before doing lots of 'easy' intensity races and group rides. It built a good solid foundation but only now do I feel I've built well upon it.

A 'game' alongside Zwift? What's the benefit of that? You should be fine with a Vega.

I have previously run Zwift and something like the Sufferfest app alongside with zero issues on mine.

I'm running an old 740M on an early i5-4200M with 4gb RAM. It can handle Zwift @720P windowed over HDMI to a 32" TV and running YouTube/BBC iPlayer on Chrome on the laptop screen (or vice versa). Performance isn't great on Zwift at 1080p - it will run it happily just framerate gets a bit choppy at times on busy group rides, so I run 720p happily at medium graphics. Still, great performance from a £350 reconditioned laptop from 4 years ago I threw a spare SSD into and put Windows 10 on.

I have an old Q6660 and 6GB ram with an R9 280x and have not set it up yet... Kinda borderline if it's worth the effort over what I have, when an AppleTV 4K is so good for the money requiring very little fiddling and setup...

I only have a 970 or something I think in my old rig, but I'm sure it will be fine.
Will absolutely smash Zwift no issues.

Game just freezes totally.<snip>
No idea if it’s my hardware/software/internet/trainer or a Zwift side fault but it’s damn annoying!
A freeze if you're seeing more than the occasional one will be client side. Probably hardware would be my guess. I've maybe seen a few over the years but nothing regularly. Riders tend to drop off when it's server or connection as you'll continue riding client side. When it reconnects riders will appear back, so the client will run quite happily without an internet connection or if the Zwift servers have a problem, with you riding around and nobody else on screen...

Last edited:
Associate
New Zwifter here - New road biker too
Am recovering from PTTD which I got from my excessive running load, my MTB proved a faff to get a tempo style ride so purchased the following:

Boardman team carbon 2013 53cm (£350) with rusty Mavic wheels - now cleaned
Lifeline fluid trainer (£75)
Garmin Speed sensor 2 (£32)

Jumped straight on last night with FTP test below - didn't even know what FTP test meant :D. Just paired the speed sensor to my phone which I held in my hand the entire ride :rolleyes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3839887126

The speed sensor dropped quite a few times including during the 20 min test which was annoying and I couldn't figure out how to pair my Garmin watch or chest strap.

Need a spare wheel and trainer tyre now as I'll continue to road ride too, cadence sensor?? not too sure what that brings?

Do I really need to connect via a laptop / ipad?? what extra does that give?

Soldato
@BlastRadius

Looks like you managed over 300W for your 20min test! Good effort!

FTP is functional threshold power. It's meant to be the most power you can sustain for an hour. Most FTP tests are only 20 min, and your FTP will be calculated at 95% of the 20min average.

If you are serious about training, it's definitely worth having an accurate FTP value. As TSS etc will be calculated from this. Also Zwift racing is broken down into W/kg brackets, so now you will have an idea of what category 'racer' you are.

Associate
@Shadowness
Thanks - Still not quite sure what I'm doing but I've signed up for the first month, as I definetly felt theres low impact training potential while I heal.

I havn't got the bike configured particularly well yet, still trying to find the setup to suit. It has boardman hybrid pedals - flat and spd. I've always worn flats on the MTB, is the spd route worth considering for road and Zwift?

Soldato
@BlastRadius

Yes definitely SPDs. For one you don't have to worry about falling off clipped in! But you should be able to pedal more efficiently, and get the power down when you need to as your feet are fixed to the pedals and won't jump off.

If you're new to power, then just get an idea of what sort of power you can sustain for different periods. You'll soon know what you consider easy or hard.

Soldato
I'm getting drop outs on Ant+ and Zwift doesn't recognise my bluetooth dongle even though Windows can see it (and I can pair my trainer to it). Does anyone know how to resolve this? I'm not that keen to use the companion app as a bridge.

Soldato
I had this earlier in the year, the bluetooth issue is Zwift/MS updates causing conflicts. I couldn't ever resolve it so got an Ant+ stick and chucked it on a usb extension which seemed to resolve the issue. Presume your dongle isn't directly plugged in, if so try the extension first. if not afraid I have nothing else to add.

Soldato
I had this earlier in the year, the bluetooth issue is Zwift/MS updates causing conflicts. I couldn't ever resolve it so got an Ant+ stick and chucked it on a usb extension which seemed to resolve the issue. Presume your dongle isn't directly plugged in, if so try the extension first. if not afraid I have nothing else to add.

I've tried an extension in the past and on both occasions they've eventually stopped working despite being tucked out of harm's way - very weird (they made Zwift very slow to boot/crash altogether). I think they were Amazon Basics so I might try an alternative if I'm stuck with Ant+. Thanks for that.

Soldato
What dongle are you using? I tried lots of different positions with extensions and a mini/small USB dongle and just couldn't get it stable enough, was feeling flush and annoyed so bought the external Tacx one and it has been consistent and solid.

I'd say there are probably good, cheaper options, but after a cheapy non-brand USB dongle, Something Sony or Samsung or similar branded and a Suunto movistik (from @SoliD - it was the best of the bunch), I'd spent/wasted the same amount on 'wasted' attempts.

Race Reports.

On tuesday came my first race in 2.5 years in B CAT, in the popular 'Turbocharged' Race series. I'm going well at the moment, but I knew the highly contested and extremely busy B CAT was going to really be a 'trial by fire'. I'd been riding in C cat without many teammates around, but I knew coming to B there would be a bunch, it felt great to be back in the thick with some of the guys I'd not raced with for 2+ years and some of the familar faces from many of the group rides I've one in that time.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=974540

What followed was frantic on a very tough course, with much of the pre-race Discord chat about bike swaps for the Jungle part with most of the guys fairly split. I'd decided not to as it takes a little bit of skill to make it slick and it's not something I've done much before (nor having ridden the MTB much). The rush out the gate was fairly typical, I hadn't expected to hold the front group but I did, although it was a massive group. Things had eased quite a bit as we came towards the bridge and the little ramp there I actually fired off the front with a couple of other riders stretching my legs as things where that easy before the main climb of the day. The Epic KOM. It's brutally long and has a mixture of gradients. I quite like it, but I'm also sure I've not raced it many times. I hit it quite hard towards the front as some of the team talk was about making it hard for some of the teams who hadn't got a big representation of riders (we had). I was not kidding myself I was staying with the front group for this so the first part up mount Zwift towards the bridge I upped the pace and started to string the front out. But by the time things had levelled to the bridge I was easing and swamped by the group. Over the bridge I was dropped from the group and with lots of scattered riders around started looking for a few forming up. What followed was quite a slog, I rode it hard but quite paced with around 4-6 other riders at various points us all leap-frogging at different points. I eased a couple of times for 3R riders getting dropped to see if they wanted a wheel but was waved on/told to push on. My time up the KOM actually 2 seconds within my PR, even thought I rode it not absolutely maxed.

Over the top into the couple of ramps I chased on a couple of wheels and made a few places, but over the top I let 3 riders go as they where pressing on a little too hard for my liking. Over the top I aero-tucked, it's a long descent and without many wheels around it was a good way to get some recovery. Weirdly not many other riders where, so I made up probably 8-10 places. The couple of ramps I surged over and passed a few more, making up over 15 places by the turn to the Jungle.

I made a couple of efforts on the ramp towards it to latch onto a team of 3 TugaZ riders who where riding well and pressing on. The descent into the Jungle I just sat on their wheels, they seemed to be a mixture of abilities with one guy keeping surging whenever I was on the back, then having to ease as he'd left his mates. Towards the bottom of the descent and the flats towards the jungle climb we started to come across those riders stopping for bike swaps. I messaged 2 teammates I passed asking if they needed a wheel. One replied and said he was ok, I still dropped back from the group for him and he came past like an express train when we hit the climb. I got a nice part-tow back up to the group with him, they even jumped to try and get on his wheel (as I eased to continue riding with them) and one of them kept with him for a while... But the group was then toast and scattered. Towards the top I'd dropped the other 2, chasing the guy up front but he seemed to ease for them, 2 other MTB's came past so I put a dig in to hold their wheels over the top, it worked well, but when they stopped to bike swap I was on my own again. I eased and just tempo'd the descent towards Watopia and the finishing circuit, not many riders around but I just knew as I was still around 30/40th there would be a chase group somewhere which would catch me. I rested well. When the group caught me they where going pretty quick with a couple of strong riders pulling but the majority sitting in. Maybe 15 riders, including several from earlier. Pace was too easy, I put efforts into any ramps to keep the speed up and try to thin things out a bit. Nobody else seemed interested. The guys up front had finished at this point and several on Discord where watching me... Including Moaty who was then also streaming my finish... No pressure then! ;)

Couple of closing efforts/wheels as things got closer to the finish. I was prepared to go long but with such a big group I had tried to scout out who I thought where sprinters. I was half waiting for someone else to go, or a teammate to lead out one of the sprinters. Nothing seemed to be happening as we dropped down towards the banner the speed was high enough to string things out without much input, still nothing, but when one of the guys I thought was a sprinter moved up he did ramp a little. I reacted fast and half-jumped, but he didn't ramp much more. I was sure I'd rested enough to go hard but I wasn't sure how much the climbs had taken out of me to go long (my usual tactic in a big group with sprinters). We where well into the finish at this point so I just went, Big ramp and a good kick, 8w/kg felt ok so when I saw orange numbers behind me I kicked a little more and think I saw 10w/kg. Not many others seemed to be sprinting but one guy was coming up fast - I'd lead him out... Lots of shouting on Discord and the thought I was on a stream I continued the effort, only dying a little before the line, but enough to get rolled by him. Dammit! Still 34th place in my first real competitive CAT B ride in several years, so pleased with that! :D

I think I rode it pretty clever, part of me regrets losing the group so early on the KOM but like to think I'd helped make the selection for 3R to get a great result up front (1st place and 6 riders in the top20). I was tactically good, resting well and saving my efforts for the finish knowing a group would form and be far faster. Efforts on the descent from the Jungle and finish might have kept me away, but would maybe have only netted me 2 places, equally if they caught me I wouldn't have had that finish. :o

Snip from Moatys stream of my finish, 33s long: https://clips.twitch.tv/ResourcefulDarkAlpacaWow

The other sprinters did come up fast so quite glad I went when I did. Going later with them I wouldn't have matched/beaten their numbers, earlier and I'd maybe have got away but ended up leading them out more than I did and wouldn't have had my kick. Considering they where B sprints I'm more than happy that only 1 out of 5 or 6 actually (just) caught me. :D

Man of Honour
Great finish, Roady... After all that other work, too. :eek::cool:

To hit 10w/kg I'd have to crank out 900W (I can do that very easily fresh, but not after (even the first ten minutes of) the rest of that course! :o

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I've tried an extension in the past and on both occasions they've eventually stopped working despite being tucked out of harm's way - very weird (they made Zwift very slow to boot/crash altogether). I think they were Amazon Basics so I might try an alternative if I'm stuck with Ant+. Thanks for that.

Try splashing out on a shielded USB extension cable, and try to keep it as short as possible

Soldato
Zwift is hard!

A reason I might have had a few connection drops is I am using Ethernet over mains power pass through.

Turns out they have some power saving enabled by default, I don’t think this would be an issue with Zwift as it’s transmitting/receiving all the time, but I turned it off to be on the safe side!

Soldato
Some odd changes proposed by Zwift on DC Rainmaker.

Not sure anyone will be a fan of further price hikes or messing with the way it works currently with racing/events.

Soldato
Some odd changes proposed by Zwift on DC Rainmaker.

Not sure anyone will be a fan of further price hikes or messing with the way it works currently with racing/events.

Have you had the survey yet? I completed it the other day before the DCR post.

It's not as clear cut as he or people make out. The survey gives you like 6 different pages of 3 choice options and you have to continually pick the one you prefer. At every point I picked one that included "premium" racing stuff but was either £9.99 or £12.99 for every single one of my choices.
There were £24.99 choices and stuff in there but I don't think it's their intention to go to that pricing it is a survey type and the way it generates results will be used to form data behind the scenes and show their findings.

It looks ridiculous on the face of it but people are taking it the wrong way I think.

PS - this is from someone who thinks Zwift HQ are a group of incompetent idiots.

Eric Min posted when the first people were getting it saying it wasn't Zwift's survey at all.... then he deleted the post soon after. Amazing :p

Back
Top Bottom