The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
Well done, a good result! I've wondered about giving the tiny races a go, just to see how I'd fare with the 4 x 10 minute full-on efforts. I have a horrible feeling that I'd be massively outsprinted at the end each time.

Edit: just looked at Zwiftpower, seems you need to average over 350W to be at the pointy end in Cat A. Hmmm.
Jeez. 350w for 6/7 minutes is one thing, but you know the ramping to 800+w will be brutal. The A group don’t drop off and fatigue between the races the same as the other groups.

Associate
Jeez. 350w for 6/7 minutes is one thing, but you know the ramping to 800+w will be brutal. The A group don’t drop off and fatigue between the races the same as the other groups.
It's the ramping up for the big finish where I tend to struggle - steady power and endurance is OK so I can mostly stay with a lead group until there's a serious hill or final sprint.
I'm sure it would improve with training if I started to take the racing more seriously.

Associate
Had a go at the Zwift Flat is Fast Stage 3 race yesterday morning, and the Garmin fenix gave me a motivational "baseline performance -7" message soon after the start. Anyone else entertained by these little pep talks?
(As usual, held the front group OK but can't sprint for toffee.)

Associate
I've had my Kickr Core since 2020 and never once updated its firmware.
Not sure if that's a good or bad thing if it's still working fine. Famous last works!

Associate
I've had my Kickr Core since 2020 and never once updated its firmware.
Not sure if that's a good or bad thing if it's still working fine. Famous last works!
Yeah I'm holding off, I remember there was one firmware update I did a while back on my first kickr that messed up the gradient changes in zwift, had to roll back.

Seems like this one may be an enabler for zwift steering compatibility, which is interesting

Last edited:
Soldato
I know it's not cycling (and I am most certainly not a runner) yet, me being the marketing departments wet dream that I am, suddenly wants the new Wahoo Kickr Run.

As far as treadmils go, it looks ace. Plus Zwift would trick me into doing runs.

Shame about the $5000 barrier to entry lol.

Soldato
eTgb5I7.jpeg

Woo hoo!

Going to try it on TdZ this evening.

Associate
Yes. Unfortunately, what it doesn't do is change gear...! Well, it did for 20 mins, then stopped. Power off and on would bring it back for a minute or so. Looks like it's a really common issue :( I've contacted Wahoo, people seem to say they're very good about it.

While it was working, wow, REALLY nice ride!
That’s a shame. Really sucks when a premium product has issues and all you want to do is use it! Hope it gets sorted soon.

I did the Achterbahn route today. It was horrible anyway, but worse as my laptop crashed the first time at 48 minutes in, so I decieded to join the next group and do it again. Going to have sore legs a while now!

Soldato
I love how the Overclockers budget creep manages to spill into other areas of life :D.

I was interested in giving the whole Zwift thing a go.

Take 1
Wahoo Kickr Core
Used my only bike at the time
Zwift on a laptop

I found putting my bike on and off a complete faff and gave up after a couple of weeks. Sold the Kickr core
A few months later, we had a few weeks of bad weather and I just wasn't getting out on my bike much. So I thought I would give the indoor training thing another crack.

Take 2
Wahoo Kickr Core
Picked up a used Specialized Allez E5
Pit Zwift on my Lenovo ThinkCentre M710q which was being used as a Plex server
I bought a 32" TV

At this point, I was starting to get into it, but upgraditis was kicking in. Found myself browsering for better groupsets etc. Then I spotted a bargain on eBay

Take 3
I was now the proud owner of a Stages SB20 smart bike for a very good price, barely used as well.
Because of how much I had now spent I was using it more and found the Zwift experience on the Lenovo a bit lacking.

Take 4
Picked up a HP 400 G5 desktop PC and a RX 6400 low-profile card. It ran Zwift better but had to stick to medium settings and 1080p. It was clear that I wasn't going to be happy with this as a long-term solution.

Take 5
Upgraded to a 55" 4k TV which in turn forced my hand into building a mid-range gaming PC which runs Zwift buttery smooth maxed out at 4k.

Ive ended up with a great setup that I use pretty much every day, but I think a self-help group is needed.

Associate
Ive ended up with a great setup that I use pretty much every day, but I think a self-help group is needed.
I'd say go and talk in the Ubiquiti thread. You mention that a new wifi7 ap has a place in your future ... and people immediately jump on saying "why, why do you need that, do you do gigabit traffic".... it's a real downer.
Don't some people understand the need for STUFF? Especially COOL STUFF? That's an upgrade REGARDLESS of how useful it actually is?

Soldato
Another +1 for a bigger screen Zwift setup. Though I went for a rather puny 42" 4K sceen. Kinda jealous of the big 55" one now!
bAwoxJ6.jpg

Though sometimes I like to watch something on the big screen and keep Zwift running on the laptop.

Associate
Unfortunately we are the help group :)

I’ve got the stages bike too but still using laptop. I can’t justify to other half the dedicated PC and TV…yet.
Another Stages SB20 owner here. Love the big monitors but it wouldn't work for me... I'm pretty short sighted, and wearing glasses while sweating buckets doesn't work, so I've got a touchscreen monitor on an adjustable arm fixed to a wahoo table. Means I can have it close enough to read when cruising along, and can push it out if the way when needed.

Back
Top Bottom