The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
So I did another recovery ride with just the Kickr - made TR forget my power meter and relied solely on the Kickr for power/cadence/control.

Yep. I was the drama and over complicated it by using sensors probably fighting to be 'right'.
Endurance ride I completed in March. Using my pedals as the 'power' and the Kickr for all things ERG.
E1JdY9Q.png

Endurance ride I completed yesterday evening using just the Kickr.
vcjom7v.png

The real test will be when I do some Vo2 intervals next week but I think it's safe to say it's better to just leave it to one device. A couple of blips from where I was fiddling with my shoes and talking to my partner/daughter but otherwise a significantly better experience.

Soldato
@Junglist have you finished your everest challenge on Zwift yet? Onto my final 1000m of climbing now.

Nice work man!

I haven't been on Zwift since about early February and I cancelled my subscription. Seemed a bit silly paying for both Trainer Road and Zwift at the same time especially now the weather has picked up. So I'm just using Trainer Road when I'm indoors on the trainer now. Though I was thinking I'd like to give ADZ another go soon.

I'll probably wait until I've finished my current plan on TR before getting back into Zwift. I just find the training plans on TR much easier to stick to and better overall.

Reactions: fez

fez

fez

Caporegime
Nice work man!

I haven't been on Zwift since about early February and I cancelled my subscription. Seemed a bit silly paying for both Trainer Road and Zwift at the same time especially now the weather has picked up. So I'm just using Trainer Road when I'm indoors on the trainer now. Though I was thinking I'd like to give ADZ another go soon.

I'll probably wait until I've finished my current plan on TR before getting back into Zwift. I just find the training plans on TR much easier to stick to and better overall.

I think the Zwift training plans are good for beginners and they do have their merits. ie. engagement, variety and things like low cadence work is really good but ultimately they are more focussed on keeping you interested than maximising gains.

I am doing a TR plan at the moment that I bought for $80 or something which seems to be quite good. Nice progression in difficulty or length of intervals and I seem to be seeing some good progress there.

I would have cancelled Zwift as well if I hadn't paid for a year up front.

Soldato
And the best thing is no FTP tests as the AI FTP detection is supposed to be fairly accurate. Also like I can just send workouts to my Wahoo and do them outside if I feel like it.

I do love the game side of Zwift but recently I've just enjoyed doing a plan whilst watching a movie/tv series so having my avatar on the screen isn't a massive feature. I'd definitely like to get into the racing towards the end of the year though, when it gets colder again

Soldato
And the best thing is no FTP tests as the AI FTP detection is supposed to be fairly accurate. Also like I can just send workouts to my Wahoo and do them outside if I feel like it.

I do love the game side of Zwift but recently I've just enjoyed doing a plan whilst watching a movie/tv series so having my avatar on the screen isn't a massive feature. I'd definitely like to get into the racing towards the end of the year though, when it gets colder again
Don't forget you get free use of Zwift as a non-subscriber until you do a ride that takes you past 25Km, each calendar month.

fez

fez

Caporegime

I never really watch the screen on my iPad with Zwift on it. Just have it there for the sake of power, time etc. I've always got something on in the background. Might give the Zwift racing a go this winter. I am building up a gravel bike that I will probably take outside more over the winter as well hopefully. Can't be taking the princess out on our disgusting roads :mad:

And man up and do some FTP tests!

Soldato
6 week FTP Builder plan completed yesterday, im yet to do a follow up ftp test but maybe this week or next. I need to find the next plan to cover my needs for the next 12 weeks or so. I just cant seem to find something that fits in the time/schedule i have. I would do the active off seasons but there are far to many rides in there at over 1hr 15m which means i would really struggle to fit it in, even though it seems the perfect next step for me to build up my base.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't mind doing FTP tests honestly. They are short, you give your all and you are done. If you have done your training right then you get to see a nice FTP increase.

Soldato
I don't mind doing FTP tests honestly. They are short, you give your all and you are done. If you have done your training right then you get to see a nice FTP increase.
I don't mind the ramp style tests, they make a good high aerobic workout as well.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Oh yeah, a proper 20 minute ramp test requires me to be able to actually pace myself remotely well. Sounds awful.

Are you on Zwift, or do you have plenty of the monthly free 25km left?

I used to often do Tempus Fugit TTs as a negative split FTP test, starting ~25W below my anticipated FTP and then shifting to a harder gear every 5mins or so.

There's one tonight at 1910. ;)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Are you on Zwift, or do you have plenty of the monthly free 25km left?

I used to often do Tempus Fugit TTs as a negative split FTP test, starting ~25W below my anticipated FTP and then shifting to a harder gear every 5mins or so.

There's one tonight at 1910. ;)

On Zwift and have a yearly subscription. Will probably not renew though. Following a training plan on training peaks and honestly I don't really look at Zwift while using it as I always have a show on. I know that the ramp test likely overestimates FTP by a bit but I know roughly how certain workouts should feel so I can always tweak the FTP setting if its a little outside of range.

Soldato
Erg mode is a really bad idea for training generally, IMO. As people are finding, it means you naturally work at an ideal self-selected cadence/torque which means as soon as you hit the road and your body is challenged by all different terrains, winds and gradients then your fitness just doesn’t translate. Everyone has an ideal cadence but you still want to do some work either side of that.

The only sessions I see some value are something like a 4x8 where you’re targeting maximum sustainable power across the sets rather than a specific target, so want to tip things in your favour.

Soldato
it means you naturally work at an ideal self-selected cadence/torque which means as soon as you hit the road and your body is challenged by all different terrains
It sounds like you mean, just picking a number of watts and riding to it? Tbf, even that is useful (eg Z2 training). But, in a workout you don't choose the watts or cadence. It worked really well for me, I'm a strong believer in it. I think of it a little like weight training. Would you do a random amount of reps with random weights on, or would you base it on what you already know you can lift?

Soldato
No, slightly different, let’s say you go for an endurance ride on the road and middle of Z2 power for you is 180w. At points you’re going to be doing 110rpm at 30mph, and at others you might be doing 60rpm at 5mph, and even on the flat you’re constantly microadjusting as the road surface or wind direction changes. The muscular challenge is always changing and it’s not always comfortable.

Training in erg mode is absolutely going to build your aerobic fitness but I think it lacks a bit of specificity because you’re always training in that comfortable range.

This is just my opinion though.

Soldato
No, slightly different, let’s say you go for an endurance ride on the road and middle of Z2 power for you is 180w. At points you’re going to be doing 110rpm at 30mph, and at others you might be doing 60rpm at 5mph, and even on the flat you’re constantly microadjusting as the road surface or wind direction changes. The muscular challenge is always changing and it’s not always comfortable.
Yes, that's my point. Having just heard how stepping up out of Z2 can ruin your Z2 ride... a nice steady roll in Z2 is what I'm looking for, without the changes.
Training in erg mode is absolutely going to build your aerobic fitness but I think it lacks a bit of specificity because you’re always training in that comfortable range.
Sounds like you might be doing the wrong plans or have it set up wrong? My point was around it can push just beyond what you can do comfortably.

Soldato
My point is all those muscular challenges are a good thing. Riding without erg teaches you how to pace efforts, how to vary cadence and control your power. Those are all important skills that translate straight to the road. A turbo is a very controlled riding environment and I think that’s both a blessing and a curse.

This is all just based on feels and what I would say is if erg mode helps people train more then that’s a good thing.

Soldato
You can't ignore ERG modes ability to maintain a consistent effort without any rests, it is very efficient building endurance with ERG mode inside. Very few will be able to ride a consistent Z2 ride outside and likewise doing intervals outside is challenging as you can't be doing a regular vo2 max intervals in a town or city, it will be more like sprint to the next set of traffic lights and then rest for too long. If you want to be training working at different cadences/torque values then you should be encouraging the use of single speed bikes, but ultimately this can still be replicated inside by doing workouts at different cadences, Wahoo Systm was good at encouraging this.

Back
Top Bottom