The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

fez

fez

Caporegime
And we can see from the responses everywhere that it is more then the market with stomach. I think they need to go back to the drawing board with this.

Perhaps but they would need to lose 40% of their subscribers to lose money. Some will cancel and resubscribe and as we saw with the likes of Netflix, a lot of people won't actually cancel despite being ****** off about it.

Soldato
I think it’s really poor form to announce this up front and not give people the chance to buy an annual sub at the old price. I use Zwift a lot so I’ll probably suck it up but I can also see a bit of a climb down coming.

Soldato
How stable/safe a company are they? I worry it's a bit of a desperate move and actually this could kill them off?
Surely someone (Wahoo, Garmin, even Strava?) would buy them if they got into difficulty. They've got a great product.

The report at the top of their UK subsidiary's accounts is interesting. They've had big funding but were not profitable, at least a year ago, and expect to be able to fund a number more years at least. https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04281821/filing-history

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
They have just laid off a load of their staff and canned much of their hardware business which I imagine will cut down on operating costs. Apparently their codebase is absolute junk which has made development on it hard over the years. They are still the massive market leaders in this sector so they should be fine but there are quite a few upstarts that could eat their lunch if they get enough traction.

I think that they are going to find that they don't make nearly as much extra revenue as they thought with a 40% price increase. If they increase their income by 10-15% I will be impressed. Lot of people ****** and cancelling. Lot of people saying they will simply cancel because its too much to leave running in the warmer months. Others will replace it with something else that works well enough to not come back.

If they raised prices 20% this year and 10% next year I think they would have got away with it. If they had even said "basically, we haven't raised prices for 7 years and we need to invest more into the app, here are the things we want to do" and got people invested, they might have got away with it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I enjoy it so much more. Yeah, the gamification side of Zwift is really good but if you know you just want to train then this is the route to go.

This is going to be the big question and I assume that Zwift has the data to have made a good decision. How many of us use Zwift because its cheap and adds a bit to our experience but its fundamentally just background noise. Thats where I am at with it. I think the racing etc is pretty cool but I don't use it at the moment.

Soldato
O8YY8Tt.jpg

It was at this point I realised I was not really paying attention to Zwift. Plus, TR road is so lightweight I can run it on my Dell XPS so I just leave that out in the shed rather than having to bring in my gaming laptop.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
On a whim I've just signed up to TrainerRoad :cry:

Trying to get my head around it, and work out the main differences to TrainingPeaks (which I may cancel when that runs out).

Looking forward to signing up to a proper training plan over the Autumn/Winter etc, which I assume this has?

What are the other pros?

It's already said I'm over training lol

Soldato
On a whim I've just signed up to TrainerRoad :cry:

Trying to get my head around it, and work out the main differences to TrainingPeaks (which I may cancel when that runs out).

Looking forward to signing up to a proper training plan over the Autumn/Winter etc, which I assume this has?

What are the other pros?

It's already said I'm over training lol

AI FTP results :p

For me I just love how simple it is. No bells or whistles just a red line going over blue intervals. But I like the website interface and how easy it is to see my weak ahead, alter days, pick different workouts and send them to my Wahoo.

I struggled to do more than 3 weeks of any Zwift plans I tried (Build me up/FTP Builder) but I'm currently in my rest week following the last 12 weeks of base building and about to start my 'Build' block.

Soldato
I wish Garmin would make or buy one. As much as I like the likes of trainer road they don't take into account my recovery and health.

Associate
AI FTP results :p

For me I just love how simple it is. No bells or whistles just a red line going over blue intervals. But I like the website interface and how easy it is to see my weak ahead, alter days, pick different workouts and send them to my Wahoo.

I struggled to do more than 3 weeks of any Zwift plans I tried (Build me up/FTP Builder) but I'm currently in my rest week following the last 12 weeks of base building and about to start my 'Build' block.
Sigmund says hello :D

Soldato
MyWoosh is really hardware demanding, I have to run it on minimum settings for all 3 settings. Still really low FPS as well. It's free though.

Associate
First TR ramp test done.
This was more difficult to get working than I expected...
Multiple firmware upgrades/downgrades on the wattbike, but no power readings coming through... then a lightbulb went on and I did the zero reset, and that sorted that.

However... TR really seemed to battle with controlling the wattbike power for the first few minutes. It was all over the show - then it settled down and worked pretty well.
(I had tried smoothing on 3s and 0sec in previous attempts with no difference).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom