The joy of being a landlord

Associate
Also, houses disappear when a landlord sells them. :D

No but it probably gets taken off the rental market which adds one more Tennant to the demand side and one less rental on the supply side. Even those with a very basic understanding of economics should be able to see what's going to happen here

Soldato
No but it probably gets taken off the rental market which adds one more Tennant to the demand side and one less rental on the supply side. Even those with a very basic understanding of economics should be able to see what's going to happen here
I’d imagine a lot are sold to other landlords so rental supply is the same. Or a former renter buys so less supply but also less demand.

Man of Honour
So... It either guys to a family buying a home or to a landlord/company who's going to continue renting it at what ever rate.

Oh wow guess there will be no more rentals, god forbid the BTL market diminishes some more.

What will us rentoids doo.
I don't know (I don't know what a rentoid is either, but I am guessing you mean a renter) - move back with your parents, find someone to houseshare with, buy a house or pay increased rent costs are the standard options.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm just a rentoid what do I know.

Do inform me master landlord.
Not really master landlord's problem though, is it? Private enterprise providing a private service, it isn't the role or remit of a private landlord to sort your living situation out for you when it becomes unprofitable for them to operate in the market.

If Tesco withdrew from the UK grocery market for example, it isn't their problem where you get your groceries in future....

Soldato
I don't know (I don't know what a rentoid is either, but I am guessing you mean a renter) - move back with your parents, find someone to houseshare with, buy a house or pay increased rent costs are the standard options.
The rents going to increase as it has been before this anyway. Or are you suggesting rental costs are balanced out becuse of BTL landlords? I guess we need to be thankful for all our BTL landlords then for keeping rental costs at a manageable rate and properties available for us renters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really master landlord's problem though, is it? Private enterprise providing a private service, it isn't the role or remit of a private landlord to sort your living situation out for you when it becomes unprofitable for them to operate in the market.

If Tesco withdrew from the UK grocery market for example, it isn't their problem where you get your groceries in future....
So where did I say it's the landords problem?

What are you projecting here. You replying to the wrong person or something?

Soldato
FFS. Stop blaming each other! Blame the government (of all colours) over the past couple of decades that caused the housing supply problem in the first place. If there were enough houses then there would be a healthy rental market as well as houses available to buy at affordable prices.

Yes the fundamental issue is the inadequate supply of affordable/social housing. However, there are some opposing views as to what has happened with the available stock. BTL landlords may argue that they are making rental property available for those who can't get a sufficient mortgage to buy for themselves. On the other hand, renters may argue that BTL landlords snap up all the affordable homes, increasing demand and pushing up prices, then charge rent at such a level that renters become trapped and cannot afford to save up a deposit to break the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom