The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
Yes the fundamental issue is the inadequate supply of affordable/social housing. However, there are some opposing views as to what has happened with the available stock. BTL landlords may argue that they are making rental property available for those who can't get a sufficient mortgage to buy for themselves. On the other hand, renters may argue that BTL landlords snap up all the affordable homes, increasing demand and pushing up prices, then charge rent at such a level that renters become trapped and cannot afford to save up a deposit to break the cycle.
Indeed. There would be no arguments if there was sufficient housing.

Our political overlords must be wetting themselves laughing at the little people harping on and whining at each other instead of currently apportioning the blame

Man of Honour
So where did I say it's the landords problem?

What are you projecting here. You replying to the wrong person or something?
Apologies if I misinterpreted your reply to EddScott - I was not sure what other meaning "I'm just a rentoid what do I know, do inform me master landlord?" could have in the context of the discussion.

If you meant something else, please go ahead and clarify so we can discuss it.

Soldato
It’s almost like landlords leaving the market are causing..

Oh, never mind, I doubt you’d make the connection.

There's not been much reduction in the private rental property market though. If you look at this chart https://www.statista.com/statistics/286444/england-number-of-private-rented-households/ you can see the number of private renters rose from 2.03M in 2000 to a peak of 4.69M in 2017 (so a huge increase in private BTL landlord market). Then a small drop for the next four years, then a rise back to 4.61M in 2022 then a slight drop to 4.6M in 2023

If you read past the headline of "Landlords selling up en masse" then its looking like it's mostly the hobbyist landlords (like us with 1 or 2 houses) selling up but being bought out by larger concerns with bigger portfolios already. In 2023 14% of all houses sold were from BTL landlords, but then 11.2% of all purchases were from BTL landlords as well.

Soldato
If you read past the headline of "Landlords selling up en masse" then its looking like it's mostly the hobbyist landlords (like us with 1 or 2 houses) selling up
Yes, that's certainly what I'm seeing from people I know personally or talk to on social media.
I can only speak from seeing what the LL's post on here and via people I know, but it's a shame as most of these people do have the tenants interests as a priority and don't charge what they could get away with ref the rent and the condition of the property (myself included).
Obviously the above will be a red rag to a bull to the usual "all LL's are literally Hitler/Pol Pot etc" brigade.

Soldato
Indeed. If I were a renter still, I'd much rather be a tenant in someone's home where they have an interest in it still (not just it's value and income). They tend to be less aggressive on the rent rises, attend to issues faster, and generally much nicer than a faceless large portfolio company that takes years to replace a tap or shower and then takes all your deposit when you eventually move out.

Small scale landlords can't absorb the costs as much as the portfolio landlords can, so likely to be the ones selling up first to rid them of the hassle. Actually caring about a home you rent out is something that can keep you awake at night.

Soldato
I have personally rented from serveal landlords for most of my adult life and I have always gone with an estate agents of my choice.

They have always been a benefit to me.. yes I pay a little more but it's mainly been stress free. If there's an issue, I report it and they send someone to fix the issue within a week or two.

The only time I had an issue with an estate agents is when the landlords (who was a major property development company) decided to switch letting agents to this right brunch of cowboys.

Like with anything buy the seller and not the item.

Not saying all landlords that are managing their own properties are bad, but from the local FB group... I heard some right horror stories.. but at the same time when someone tries to rent out a place for the "going rate", people are always moaning that it's too expensive. If you want to pay a **** price, then expect a **** level of service. If/when I rent out a place, I will put the price that I would be happy to pay and ensure that the managing letting agents don't **** around with tenant.

Soldato
I have personally rented from serveal landlords for most of my adult life and I have always gone with an estate agents of my choice.

They have always been a benefit to me.. yes I pay a little more but it's mainly been stress free. If there's an issue, I report it and they send someone to fix the issue within a week or two.

The only time I had an issue with an estate agents is when the landlords (who was a major property development company) decided to switch letting agents to this right brunch of cowboys.

Like with anything buy the seller and not the item.

Not saying all landlords that are managing their own properties are bad, but from the local FB group... I heard some right horror stories.. but at the same time when someone tries to rent out a place for the "going rate", people are always moaning that it's too expensive. If you want to pay a **** price, then expect a **** level of service. If/when I rent out a place, I will put the price that I would be happy to pay and ensure that the managing letting agents don't **** around with tenant.
"Pay a **** price expect **** levels of service" is not the kind of logic that you want to hear when talkaing bout having a roof over peoples heads.

Meh.

"Moaning about it being too expensive"

Lol, moaning.

Man of Honour
"Pay a **** price expect **** levels of service" is not the kind of logic that you want to hear when talkaing bout having a roof over peoples heads.
Why not? It applies to almost everything in life.

Take food for example - essential for living, provided by private enterprise, and if you do not have very much money then the quality will not be very good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was disgusted when I ate at McDonalds the other day and didn’t receive the full silver service treatment whilst being soothed by a beautiful lady playing a harpsichord next to my table.
Oh wait…

it was McDonalds and I only spent £3.

Man of Honour
So if I pay low rent I should get poor service and that should be expected right? As the other poster suggested earlier.

That's rather pathetic to be honest.
Yes, you probably should - the same as you should expect with literally any other product or service in the entire world

Why would housing provision not comply with these norms?

Soldato
About to get married in September, both have our own houses, looking to stay at our lasses and maybe rent mine out, family at first ( brother ) got 40k on that mortgage which we could potentially pay off but leave very little savings or sell and pay of the living in house.

Not sure which is the better option, especially looking at the new EPC rules coming in.

Any advice?

Soldato
I was disgusted when I ate at McDonalds the other day and didn’t receive the full silver service treatment whilst being soothed by a beautiful lady playing a harpsichord next to my table.
Oh wait…

it was McDonalds and I only spent £3.
This is a poor scenario you cooked up. It doesn't really relate to what I was commenting on either but keep cooking. I never said to expect silver service for low prices?

I merely pointed out that he said to expect poor service for lower prices and commented further that I don't think that should be what is expected with something like housing.

In my experience paying lower rents have not resulted in poor service as a contract usually lays out quite clearly the responsibility of the landlord/agency.

Obviously this doesn't stop poor service from bad landords as we know that happens.
But going back to what I was originally saying, that poster suggested that I as renter should EXPECT bad service from lower rents.

Thats wrong imo. I see you also agree. Interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
About to get married in September, both have our own houses, looking to stay at our lasses and maybe rent mine out, family at first ( brother ) got 40k on that mortgage which we could potentially pay off but leave very little savings or sell and pay of the living in house.

Not sure which is the better option, especially looking at the new EPC rules coming in.

Any advice?

The proposed EPC changes to make them more stringent for all rentals were scrapped last Sept.

That's not to say a new Govt might bring in new rules, but as it stands now its still just an E rating required, but even that doesn't seem to be enforced very rigorously

Soldato
This is a poor scenario you cooked up. It doesn't really relate to what I was commenting on either but keep cooking. I never said to expect silver service for low prices?

I merely pointed out that he said to expect poor service for lower prices and commented further that I don't think that should be what is expected with something like housing.

In my experience paying lower rents have not resulted in poor service as a contract usually lays out quite clearly the responsibility of the landlord/agency.

Obviously this doesn't stop poor service from bad landords as we know that happens.
But going back to what I was originally saying, that poster suggested that I as renter should EXPECT bad service from lower rents.

Thats wrong imo. I see you also agree. Interesting.

I don't understand what is this "bad service".

I understand what is bad service in terms of a restaurant, but not a landlord.

Soldato
I don't understand what is this "bad service".

I understand what is bad service in terms of a restaurant, but not a landlord.
I'm not sure honestly, but I assume they meant(they've not replied to be fair), poor coordination and or turn arounds for your typical landlprd responsibilities relating to the property. Long wait times or just things not being done.

Which I'm sure you agree aren't good things, some people it seems may agree with what he said however judging by the replies.

Last edited:
Soldato
What you pay for rent has zero bearing on the rules that the landlords are meant to follow.

If it's a dump it's basically guaranteed that they're breaching their agreement with the council.

Does paying "more" mean the landlord is definitely looking after the place? No. It just means you're paying more.

Back
Top Bottom