The joy of being a landlord

Associate
Thats a huge problem. Unfortunately, far too many people on benefits are not good tenants. There are houses on my road with a very high turnover of tenants and they are far too often the absolute dregs of society. I know its not fair or correct but as a landlord I would much rather rent to someone in work than on benefits because a bad tenant can cost you tens of thousands of pounds.
I completely understand, I'd be the same way too if I was a landlord. It's just frustrating to get tarnished with the same brush, but such is life.

Associate
Don't they one on one interview you first before making a decision?, or is all just done on paper?
For all their failings my agents are extremely good at vetting prospective tenants and have turned down quite a few before putting forward the current ones.
I'm way more interested in the character of the tenant than their disability status.
Ime they most of the time will want to meet face to face to show the prospective tenant around the property. Legally I think they can't say an outright no to someone just because they are on benefits, so almost always a viewing is granted. But they'll always mention other people are looking at it too (which they will be of course). They won't let u know if you've been unsuccessful so if I don't receive a call, I know that's that. Tbh I have been accepted twice while on benefits within the last 14 years for nice homes, but was unsuccessful more than twice with others.

Associate
Ime they most of the time will want to meet face to face to show the prospective tenant around the property. Legally I think they can't say an outright no to someone just because they are on benefits, so almost always a viewing is granted. But they'll always mention other people are looking at it too (which they will be of course). They won't let u know if you've been unsuccessful so if I don't receive a call, I know that's that. Tbh I have been accepted twice while on benefits within the last 14 years for nice homes, but was unsuccessful more than twice with others.
There's no law saying a landlord can't say, 'No benefits'… yet AFAIK. However, there is case law saying it can be illegal if you do, isn't the law fun.

It's the same with the vaping/smoking thing mentioned earlier, the only law is no smoking in communal areas, I have heard of HMO licences requiring completely smoke-free buildings but i've never seen it.

Back to the point, a landlord will fail you on affordability checks, not whether you claim benefits..... officially.

Last edited:
Associate
You jumped to conclusions, sell it because the insane hassle, changes in laws will make more hassle.

For over 15 years I had to rent due to being on a low income with gaps between contracts (academic research scientist). I saved up and bought a suitable house and now share it with lodgers to pay off the mortgage. After saving up for many years I had to complete in a rush because the local rules were suddenly changed (Article 4 declaration by the Council); that means that after a certain date you could not set up a new HMO without planning permission (which you will never get in my area - NIMBYs). I got the HMO set up with tenants in place 3 days before the deadline passed and afterwards got a certificate of lawful use to prove that it has C4 status. I was told at the time that doing that had added about £50,000 on to the value of the house.

I have followed all the numerous rules regarding HMOs since the start: fire doors, 30 minute fireboard enclosures as required, mains powered inter-linked smoke/heat detection system with battery backup, emergency lights, fire extinguishers/fire blanket, fire alarm inspections, gas safety inspections, PAT testing, electrical safety testing, HMO license (the last now costs >£2,000 for 5 years).

My tenants are glad to be there as they save thousands of pounds compared to the alternatives. The cheapest university accommodation costs around double what I charge. So no, I'm not going to sell up without a fight and certainly not when the housing market is in the toilet.

Back
Top Bottom