The joy of being a landlord

Caporegime
Yikes:

Husing costs are included in inflation right? So again, part of this is the supply issue we have in this country and the ridiculous red tape/planning system.
Just have to accept it m8, says it right there.

Or you don't and find a slightly more prosperous place to live.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I know (well pretty sure this is a joke) but it's actually pretty common to tip your super/dooman/janitor in the US, usually a yearly holiday bonus. Total tips for staff tent to be in the 10-20% of one months lease range

Is this another one of those American "traditions" to avoid someone having to pay a proper wage?

Caporegime
Or, you know, their relatives could take them in. The state even pays a carer's allowance.

Scary, but true.
I don't think that's practical.

Lots of people would be unable. If you've got a two bedroom house and already have kids, you can't suddenly house an uncle and his wife + their kids, also.

Lots of people don't have good relationships with their relatives. Lots of relatives would flat out refuse to house them, esp if they had problems, like mental health issues or drug problems.

The fact is, the state needs to house people. Low-income families and the vulnerable.

There really is no reason to not want this, since we demonstrated in the post-war period that it really works and is beneficial to society as a whole.

Put another way, why would you not want this?

e: Don't forget you wouldn't just be making random single homeless. You'd be making entire families homeless.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hamptons Estate Agents estimated about 140,000 people who bought property in the 1990s to rent out sold them last year to fund their retirements, and new landlords were not filling the gap left behind.

The new landlords are inner city councils and their mates, who are snapping up whole estates and turning many properties into HMO's around counties outside of the inner cities.

These new landlords are paying well above local prices to ensure they get to offload their waiting lists.

Associate
lol I didn't mean individually
Both is still the answer.

I wrote a post about where all the council houses went so the reality is that private landlords are a must, like it or not its a fact.

I am selling up as the become available just now and the two already sold had offers from the council as they are at least trying to buy them back, but in reality they simply don't offer as much as you get privately.

Caporegime
BBC story today Many on here will be delighted to know that many landlords have exited the market and that rents have fallen as a result. Oh wait…

Posted similar a little while ago but people are in denial that there is an overall supply issue. Big chip on the shoulder re: the fact landlords even exist, just want social housing etc.. don't seem to understand that there are multiple use cases, needs etc.. in the property market.

Soldato
Think I'll be looking to buy somewhere in a year but because I move around with work(and often work away for periods) I'd likely need to rent it out in 2-3 years time. Guessing a new build would likely be better to go for in order to avoid having to be concerned about the boiler, the electrics, the this, the that etc.
Is there a website or something where you can find all new developments in an area?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom