The joy of being a landlord

Caporegime
No and I'm not really expecting a business to resolve this problem (since they have an incentive not to), however I'd much rather continue to highlight the gross lack of new housing which would do far more to increase a persons likelihood of getting one.

Caporegime
Except the houses the built are flats more that actual houses. Shoebox flats….
I'm sure there's a viable middle-ground between pod hotels and Victorian room sizes, but yes they are ******* quality which is very uhh (un)funny considering the huge swathe of 'regulation' over it that is apparently stopping new houses being built.

Caporegime
Like for like, owning a property is more expensive than renting, unless you’re buying in the middle of nowhere and generating your electricity via hamsters.

I don't agree with this.
Owning has been cheaper for me.

If you include paying yourself the proportion of the mortgage that is equity increase it's vastly cheaper.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I need to fully read the labor manifesto/policy, but if it doesn’t include building new housing then it’s akin to wiping your arse with a spiders web.

Round here they just build houses and no infrastructure. Doctors are a nightmare.

I'll be paying close attention to where I move next. Hopefully an area not good for commuting so less likely to build houses with a decent amount of infrastructure.

Building houses is not enough.

Soldato
I was going to say in Monmouthshire, right on the river severn where I live there's new sites popping up everywhere. 280+ plot developments as well not small ones. Yet no changes to already congested roads, no new schools, doctors or anything though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was going to say in Monmouthshire, right on the river severn where I live there's new sites popping up everywhere. 280+ developments as well not small ones. Yet no changes to already congested roads, no new schools, doctors or anything though.
Oh yeah youre right in the commuter belt for Bristol. Monmouthshire is a lovely county. Just ripe for house building bonanza

Soldato
Round here they just build houses and no infrastructure. Doctors are a nightmare.

I'll be paying close attention to where I move next. Hopefully an area not good for commuting so less likely to build houses with a decent amount of infrastructure.

Building houses is not enough.
Never ever is there a advantage of renting instead of buying.

Never ever!

Buy as soon as possible!

Caporegime
Never ever is there a advantage of renting instead of buying.

Never ever!

Buy as soon as possible!
I dunno about that, it's advantageous for people who move a lot which as there is a very heavy incentive to switch jobs frequently because company loyalty is a dead concept I imagine there is probably a growing (if small) cohort that now considers it normal to effectively have no roots.

Last edited:
Suspended
I rented a small 2 bed end terrace house for 8 years at £925 a month (weirdly, that rent never changed)

I pay a mortgage of £1093 for a 3 bed semi.

£168 a month more and I'm paying off something I actually have a stake in.

Last edited:
Don
I rented a small 2 bed end terrace house for 8 years at £925 a month (weirdly, that rent never changed)

I pay a mortgage of £1093 for a 3 bed semi.

£168 a month more and I'm paying off something I actually have a stake in.

As a like for like, you should compare your capital repayment and your interest payment. At a guess though, your interest is around £400/month so your comparison would be renting costs you £925/month whereas the mortgage costs for £400/month as you're in effect renting from the bank instead.

Back
Top Bottom