The King of the Kop is back for Good (well 3 years)!

Caporegime
It's not always good when an old club legend takes the reins, but given his success its been inevitable. Good luck to them for next season I say, from what I've seen they've been playing exciting football again for a change.

Caporegime
Fantastic news and the best signing we're likely to make all summer. Can only begin to imagine how many more trophies we would've won had Hillsborough not happened and he continued on as our manager back then :(

Man of Honour
Like him or dislike him, there is no arguing that what he has done has shown that he currently deserves the job. Its not just the results, its the whole package, the motivation, the morale change, the change in the players, the canny interviews and handling of the media (Fergie is the same, what is it with these scottish managers and their media savvy abilities !), plus its another Brit manager at the top, which is nice.

Now to end the season on a high, go into a productive summer transfer period, bring in some strength and some quality players (Like Honda :D) utilize those shiny new funds that Henry has and carry that wavecrest good feeling into the new season and see what can be achieved.

Congrats Kenny..and at this point may I also congratulate Steve Clarke because his impact has been just as impressive imo.

Caporegime
Fantastic news and the best signing we're likely to make all summer. Can only begin to imagine how many more trophies we would've won had Hillsborough not happened and he continued on as our manager back then :(

I don't know the history. Did he quit because of the disaster? A real shame if so.

Man of Honour
I don't know the history. Did he quit because of the disaster? A real shame if so.

Pretty much yeah, he went above and beyond in the weeks/months following it, making it a point to personally attend as many of the funerals as he could, visiting the families repeatedly and so on. The whole thing drained him and you could clearly see at the time that it was weighing heavily on him.

Associate

Those who attended the press conference to confirm Dalglish's resignation as Liverpool manager in February 1991 recall a man seemingly broken in spirit, head bowed and at the end of his tether.

Dalglish, who admitted to attending up to four funerals a day in the aftermath of Hillsborough, became ill with shingles in the autumn of the following season, brought on by the nerves and stress of everything he had witnessed.

I know its from the Fail but here is a link.

guyfawkes5 said:
Roll on Daglish 'retiring from football' half-way through the season and popping up as manager of a Championship side six months later (again)...

Sigh......

Caporegime
Fantastic :)

Knew Hillsborough had a big effect on him but getting shingles from stress is awful.

Roll on next year, hopefully get back into the top 4 :)

Don
OP
Pretty much yeah, he went above and beyond in the weeks/months following it, making it a point to personally attend as many of the funerals as he could, visiting the families repeatedly and so on. The whole thing drained him and you could clearly see at the time that it was weighing heavily on him.

There's a piece about it on LFC TV right now. I don't think you can put into words the work he and his wife done in the aftermath of Hillsborough and that coupled with the work he's done for charity make him deserving of the proposed knighthood, even before you look at what he's achieved in football both as a player and manager.

Soldato
Great news. To bring another name in now, however big, would have been a huge risk after Kenny proved himself to be as good as he ever was in such a short period. He also has very rare quality in that he has been where the club want to be before.

I don't think you can underestimate the importance of Steve Clarke signing as well. He appears have bridged the gap Kenny couldn't in the modern game. I just hope Kenny, Steve and Comolli can work together in the best interests of the club.

Both Benitez and Houllier came very close to winning a tile during their time at Liverpool. Only time will tell if Kenny can take it that step further. I suggest he can, but at 60 time is against him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom