*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Associate
Ready to go.
First bash at a dish we had in Kefalonia on holiday. Seabream with potatoes & fennel.

DSC_2445.jpg

Soldato
PSA: If you ever see this and think it would be a good idea to try/buy. DON'T. It was horrible. I'd much rather spend 12hours cooking some pork than try this ever again.
(I bought it in Tesco for a quick/easy emergency meal)

Kw24h3Vl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Looks interesting - have you parboiled the veg or are you cooking it from raw with the fish? Temps and timings?

Yes parboiled potato & carrot for around 6-7 mins.

Softened a crushed garlic clove & around 7 spring onions in a glug of olive oil, which I then tossed the potato, carrots & fennel in.
Took out the fish after the pic and roasted the veg in the parchment for around
20 mins on 180c before adding the fish to the parchment for another 15 mins.
Served it in the parchment.
Was very nice.

Soldato
moreover - the tab is the wrong way up - do you open it from the inside ? :confused: this is clever photoshop / optical illusion

Did you fillet the seabream - does leaving the bone in potentially give more flavour and margin on the cooking - it is close to en papilotte ?

Soldato
I've got some swordfish for lunch today

Normally I pan fry all my fish, and I've done so several times before with swordfish and I've always been happy enough with the result. However, it would appear popular opinion is that swordfish should be grilled?

So should I chuck it under the grill this time? Should I oil the fish up before sticking it on the grill?

Soldato
Interesting article
How we are all cooking rice incorrectly - and could be endangering our health

Doctor Mosely was just discussing this on R5, apparently info also included in his new book.

If the rice is soaked overnight, I am not sure if cooking times change much, and whether a automatic steamer would still work.
I do not buy parboiled/quick-cook rice, but article does not say if it applies equally to both parboiled and normal.

Soldato
Saw 'cardamom-infused-black-rice-porridge-with' an interesting breakfast alternative, effectively rice pudding for breakfast.

It seems black rice has a low GI so would be a good replacement for porridge, my usual goto.
I have never tried black rice before, but it seems it will be up to it ,with, apparently, a nutty flavour.
Is anyone a connoisseurs of black rice, and what brand/variety would you recommend ?
  • ¾ cup blac rice
  • ½ tsp + ½ tsp cardamom
  • 1 ½ cup boiling water
  • ½ cup thick sour cream or rice milk
  • 3 tbsp agave syrup
  • ½ cup blueberries
  • ½ cup cherries without seeds
  • hemp seeds
  • coconut flakes
  • fresh mint
You need to start a peparation the night before. Place rice in a pot, add ½ tsp of cardamom (or two cardamom pods) and pour boiling water over it. Leave it like this for a night.

In the morning add ½ cup thick sour cream (or yogurt or rice milk), agave syrup and more cardamom, cover and bring to boil over a medium heat. Uncover, decrease the heat and simmer for about 7 minutes, stirring from time to time, you want it to be tender. Then add blueberries and cherries and cook for one more minute.

Serve with hemp seeds, coconut, few mint leaves and a nice spoon of yogurt.

I would cut the sugar from the recipe, but otherwise seems ok

Soldato
I've got a nice bit of topside from the butchers. It has plenty of basting fat on the top. I'm wondering if i should roast as is, or add some sort of crust to it, but i'm not sure if i should remove the fat if I'm going to take this option? Thoughts?

Man of Honour
I've got a nice bit of topside from the butchers. It has plenty of basting fat on the top. I'm wondering if i should roast as is, or add some sort of crust to it, but i'm not sure if i should remove the fat if I'm going to take this option? Thoughts?

Salt and pepper and roast as is would be my suggestion. Try reverse searing if you have time.

You can always make a sauce to go with if you want to add other flavours :)

Back
Top Bottom