*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Man of Honour
my google fu is failing, or its a relay under saturated market. trying to find a 1.5-2l insuated water botte for around the house, with a wide neck that can accept ice cube.. the only one i can find is this one, but £40 is insane and the same ones on ebay from abroad are £50+

anyone seen anything similar for a more reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00R75Y...UTF8&colid=243PHTF8RPVKL&coliid=IHCV7R6AJ7W0C

Man of Honour
thanks, think i prefer the larger size. just had a look on alibaba and cant find anything on there either shame, could have ordered a bunch and stuck them on Amazon.

Soldato
As a bunch of food lovers and foodies I'd thought I'd pick your brains. How do you treat going to a mediocre 'chain' restaurant and finding the best thing to eat?

Where I work we occasionally organise a meal. To give you an idea of the kind of places: it tends to end up in a fairly average place to cater for everyone and also tends to end up ~£20/each even with two courses.

I'm currently looking at the menu for 'Coal Bar & Grill' (Menu PDF), and nothing stands out. I then did the worst thing and lookup up pictures on Tripadvisor and I'm even more disappointed. :D :D I'll probably just pick a burger but its a shame when going out somewhere new..

Anway, thought I'd see.

Soldato
Don't forget your camera, you can name and shame them on OC if it is no good - better than TripAdvisor.

I usually revert to menu item that is likely to be the least adulterated/processed option whose calory count and nutrition will do the least damage - chicken chimichanga ?
wine at min ~£20/bottle too !

Hopefully it is not a divide the bill strategy - that always adds to the regret ..... sorry no solace here :)

Soldato
RIP :Nespresso says ‘bye, George’ as Colombian coffee farmer Humberto kicks off ‘new era’ of advertising

Last year, former Nespresso chief executive Jean-Paul Gaillard warned the coffee pods could be contributing to a global environmental disaster, with billions of aluminium capsules ending up in landfills across the world each year.
“People shouldn’t sacrifice the environment for convenience,” he said.
Mr Gaillard is now the head of Ethical Coffee Company, a rival which makes fully biodegradable coffee capsules that break down within eight months.
Mr Rethore said while George Clooney would still be “part of our ecosystem”

...not worth a gd thread

Associate
They make a ***** coffee anyway, at work we have the caterers version. Can't believe people fall for that crap, it ain't cheap.

Man of Honour
not surprised, companies realy should think about this stuff (or more likely be forced to by law)
also my mate got a bean to cup coffee machine the other week and after seeing it in action, i wouldn't get a pod machine now.

and if anyones interested went for this bottle in the end, wont turn up for best part of a month though so assuming it must be from china.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DealMux-FE...uum+Insulated+Thermo+Flask+Drinks+Bottle+1.5L

Soldato
not surprised, companies realy should think about this stuff (or more likely be forced to by law)
also my mate got a bean to cup coffee machine the other week and after seeing it in action, i wouldn't get a pod machine now.

and if anyones interested went for this bottle in the end, wont turn up for best part of a month though so assuming it must be from china.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DealMux-FE...uum+Insulated+Thermo+Flask+Drinks+Bottle+1.5L

I think i mentioned you in a GD thread about a big ol' water bottle. Not sure if you saw it but was in the Items purchased thread i think.

Caporegime
They make a ***** coffee anyway, at work we have the caterers version. Can't believe people fall for that crap, it ain't cheap.
By far the best coffee form any kidn of pod system. Very similar to my Rancillio Silvia and fresh roasted beans from the local coffee roaster.

Your work machine must be broken or you are not using the right capsules.

Caporegime

A ong time ago I spoke to a guy who was runnign a start up that recycled the capsules. The aluminum was the most valuable, but the plastic could be recycled close to cost, and the coffee granules can be incinerated in a power station. The aim would be the aluminum would make the profit but margins were probably too low IMO. He really wanted Nestle just to buy him out and install the recycling machines across Europe but of course Nestle don't give a damn. This is a company that happily kills babies so I doubt they care about the environment.

Associate
By far the best coffee form any kidn of pod system. Very similar to my Rancillio Silvia and fresh roasted beans from the local coffee roaster.

Your work machine must be broken or you are not using the right capsules.

That's like saying that herpes is by far the best form of STD. Your skills with the Ransillo and bean choice must be pretty dire if it tastes like a Nespresso blend.

Soldato
So are the bookies taking bets on whether there will be any viewers left for Bake-off final -

recorded them, watched maybe 5 minutes, but , unless they come up with automatic editing to remove the adverts and the comperes, will probably just delete,
Official episode viewing figures are from BARB.[43]
Episode
no.
Airdate 7 day viewers
(millions)
28 day viewers
(millions)
BBC One
weekly ranking
Weekly ranking
all channels[44]
BBC iPlayer requests
1 24 August 2016 13.58 13.86 1 1 1,989,000[45]
2 31 August 2016 13.45 13.74 1 1 1,949,000[46]
3 7 September 2016 13.01 13.38 1 1 2,314,000[47]
4 14 September 2016 13.29 13.88 1 1 2,291,000[48]
5 21 September 2016 13.12 13.33 1 1 1,984,000[49]
6 28 September 2016 13.13 13.41 1 1 1,397,000[50]
7 5 October 2016 13.45 13.72 1 1 2,154,000[51]
8 12 October 2016 13.26 13.45 1 1 1,957,000[52]
9 19 October 2016 13.44 13.65 1 1 1,901,000[53]
10 26 October 2016 15.90 16.03 1 1 1,602,000[54]

compared to regular auntie of 13 million it is apparently for first 3 episodes

6.5, 6, 5.7, .... at 3 million it is uneconomic
so they will probbaly cut the final 3 ?

Soldato
lol:
one in a succession - sounds as though they maybe equally a constraint on innovation, driving formulaic production, and a measure of quality.
Earlier this week, lauded French chef Sébastien Bras, son of Michel Bras, revealed that he wants to “give back” the three Michelin stars he and his father have maintained for nearly two decades at their pioneering restaurant Le Suquet à Laguiole. He wants out of the red guide book and to be done with one of the highest honors a restaurant can achieve.

Soldato
Does anyone know of more food related movies? Posting in La Cuisine as we have a La Cuisine Food TV thread but I wondered if there are more movies about food/food related out there.

Ones I've seen and enjoyed:
Chef
Burnt
The 100 Foot Journey
Julie & Julia

Maybe another I'm forgetting now.

Soldato
Does anyone know of more food related movies? Posting in La Cuisine as we have a La Cuisine Food TV thread but I wondered if there are more movies about food/food related out there.

Ones I've seen and enjoyed:
Chef
Burnt
The 100 Foot Journey
Julie & Julia

Maybe another I'm forgetting now.
Toast - the one about Nigel Slater?

Back
Top Bottom