*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Soldato
Cheesecake is quite easy, have a look at some Mary Berry ones, they are pretty good . We need to buy food starting with H & M,
has to be baked (New York) though ?
not convinced the mix it it up put it in the fridge varieties I often see on tv shows (ok maybe they are time limited) are as good, they don't get together, and are insubstantial.
... M was going to be maple syrup

Soldato
not convinced the mix it it up put it in the fridge varieties I often see on tv shows (ok maybe they are time limited) are as good, they don't get together, and are insubstantial.

My Girlfriend can't eat egg so we just have non bake ones. You just need to put it in the fridge for a while, preferably the day before. Thanks for the suggestion but we are buying for starters so I don't think maple syrup will work. :D

Soldato
I disagree, the cream cheese ones are the nuts. Especially a lemon and white chocolate one. Or a lime cheesecake with gingernut base. Mmmmm AMAZE.

Soldato
I have made the cheesecake you set in the fridge a few times and they always turn out very nice imo. They are pretty much gone in a day. I have never actually tried the baked version as it seems like a lot of extra faff when the fridge version tastes so good. I'll maybe give baked a try to see the difference next time I make one.

Soldato
OP
Currently marinating some chicken breast in 50/50 Pattaks Madras curry paste and plain greek yogurt to make some wraps later with salad and mayonnaise. Also nice in Pitta/naan bread.

It's simple ideas like this that I need to make note of for lunches that I can take to work. I get stuck in doing the same thing week in week out that I get really bored and start spending money in the canteen which is overpriced. Really want to start broadening what I bring in each day.

Soldato
Does anyone else feel strangled by the fussiness of their partner and/or kids?

I feel like any meal that isn't pasta or pizza is just going to be met with complaint...

I know we all have our likes and dislikes, but honestly, I feel like I'm getting trolled most nights.

Cooking has become a bit of a passion of mine over the last year or two. I used to make myself EPIC lunches on my days off (my GF and I both work full time, we only get 1 day off together every 2 weeks, so 3 out of four of my days off are on my own)

The mrs is on maternity leave ATM. Baby is 4 and a half months old. Now, all my days off are with the GF, and epic lunches are a thing of the past.

I'm still at work full time, but I'm still the chef of the house which suits me fine really, but it leaves me with limited time. I come home from work at 6:40 most days. Maybe I can spend 10-15 mins preparing something quickly, but then I like to "help"/watch bath the baby and see him to bed etc, otherwise I wouldn't see him. So realistically, I start cooking at like 7:15. I'm pretty hungry at this point, so I would say, most nights, I want to be eating by 8:00

Literally anything I cook that's not pizza, tuna pasta bake, some kind of frozen **** and chips seams to result in the older boy moaning, and the mrs pushing food around her plate and barely eating anything. It annoys the **** out of me lol.

Anyone else in this boat? Please tell me yes :(

I'm seriously considering saying that the GF can prepare her own food for her and the boy, and I'll make my own food for me when I get back. Does that sound fair?

Sorry for the rant lol

Soldato
Well, not to that extent, but a bit, yeah: my youngest is very picky and actively suspicious of anything new. Thankfully, there are things he does love are quite healthy, like carrots, sweet potato, sweetcorn, tomatoes, apples, well most fruits, actually. But none of these have much protein and aren't the basis of a main meal, and actually getting him to eat a substantial meal with some protein.... so damn limited. For meals be basically restricts himself to the kinds of foods you're talking about.

If I give him anything but the four or five staples he will eat for a main meal, he inspects it with all the intensity and wariness of a bomb disposal expert. It is very frustrating when I put effort into trying to prepare something just a bit different that will match his likes, and (every ******* time) he looks at it like I've put a landmine on his plate, then (under great duress) "tries" the tiniest morsel he can get on his fork and, before it even touches his tongue, makes a face like he's got a mouthful of stinging nettles.

Family life :)

Soldato
Interesting ingredient on this mornings bargain £2/Asda purchase for next Christmas Titanium Oxide

http://whitworths.co.uk/products/christmas-cake-kit/
SOAKED MIXED FRUIT: ...
MILK CHOCOLATE MALTED BISCUIT BALLS (Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Skimmed Milk Powder, Lactose (Milk), Whey Powder (Milk), Milk Fat, Emulsifier; Soya Lecithin), Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium, Carbonate, Iron, Thiamin, Niacin), Maize Flour, Malt Extract (Barley), Sugar, Salt, Fav Powder (Vegetable Fat, Glucose Syrup, Emulsifier: Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Glazing Agent: Gum Arabic, Colouring : Potassium Aluminium Silicate, Titanium Oxide, Iron Oxide;
APRICOT JAM (Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Apricots, Sugar, Gelling Agent: Pectin, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; MIXED SPICE

I suppose I should have guessed from the edible baubles colour

Man of Honour
any one made pork scratchings? how did they turn out? old school rather than the new dehydrated then fried so they puff up, that 99% of them seem to be these days.

Soldato
Interesting (new research?) article on picky eating in children on R4 this week - failed to find programme link - what was it ?

synospsys was that they have found there is a golden period 4-5 years old where you can introduce them to almost any food, but at slightly older age they become selective and may not eat foods you have not previously introduced.
They had an evolutionary explanation, along the lines that child becomes picky because with the ability to select/reject food they can select more nutritionally beneficial foods, to give them an advantage over their peers.

Soldato
any one made pork scratchings? how did they turn out? old school rather than the new dehydrated then fried so they puff up, that 99% of them seem to be these days.

I make these using the skin that I removed from the pork joint when I'm doing pulled pork.

Dead easy to make, especially if you have the butcher remove the skin from the joint for you (it's not hard to do yourself but they'll do it for nothing so why not let them). Ideally you want a nice thick bit of fat under the skin.

Make sure the skin is nice and dry, then I simply cut the skin into approximately 1inch squares and spread them carefully on a cooling rack (or more ideally a metal mesh grid would be better) on my grill pan and stick them under a pretty hot grill. Make sure you keep an eye on them as you'll need to turn them over to get them to go really nice. Also if there are differences in the thickness of the fat, the thinner ones will be done quite a lot quicker.

One they're nicely crackled, stick them in a big bowl ands sprinkle with a mix of salt and paprika and give thema good good toss to make sure they're nicely coated and you'll have a fab snack! I sometimes add in some scotch bonnet power to the mix to give nice hot scratchings.

Caporegime
Maybe he is a vegetarian, but I was equally concerned by the ramifications on the ingredients/taste/calories.
and similarly for the pre-made chinese curry sauce being discussed in other thread, which is predominately oil (500Kcal/100g !)
I would usually try and do a cut-down version of such sauces with the more limited ingredients in the cupboard.

I repost
Michael Pollan’s 64 Food Rules

Going by rule number 2, I can eat literally anything. (my dead great-grandmother isn't likely to recognize anything as anything :p)

Soldato
cheddar, parmesan, monterey jack, grand pandano all melted together - not convinced - do they really compliment one another ?
which melted cheese combinations do - if any ?

This weeks in the factory with (Masterchef's) Greg explained why we have no fresh blackcurrants in the shops any more, 90% go into damned Ribena - what a waste

Soldato
I'm in my thirties and only just discovered how awesome BLT's are. Always thought it was weird to put salad on a bacon butty, so never had it before, but my sister made me one a few days ago and I've been eating them non stop since. Also pretty sure the lettuce cancels out the bacons unhealthiness right? :p

Back
Top Bottom